Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little red button to the lower left of my steering wheel and I have no idea what it does. I would think it has something to do with the alarm but nothing changes when it is pressed or unpressed. Does anyone else have this little red button and know what it does? It's not in the manual or anywhere online that i could find. Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What sort of button is it? Have you seen if there are any wires coming up to the backside of the button?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have an aftermarket security system installed it could be the valet switch ! :wink:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I second that...although valet switches are usually located in a less conspicuous location.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haven't checked to see if there are any wires coming out the back of it and i haven't upgraded the security system, it has whatever alarm system it came with

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Any chance you can post up a pic of it?

Also... more information needed :roll:

What YEAR is your RAV4?
What STATE are you in?

Sounds like it might be some sort of alarm installed in the Southeast region.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies, i'll try to post a picture tomorrow

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, here's the pics of the little red button!
It is a 2004 Rav4 and I'm in Florida

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did not realise that you guys in the States have button to turn off or on the Traction Control. In Europe we don't get a switch and the Traction Control is on all the time.

Yep my vote is for Alarm Indicator LED.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but it's an actual button, not just a light, and it's lit up when it's pressed and when it's not pressed

·
Registered
986 Posts
What accessories/audio components did your Rav come with?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
supposedly it didn't come with anything but the standard audio and no accessories i can think of, it does have keyless entry and the remote they gave me model number is ELVAT5G

i think i've figured it out mostly, i messed with the button and the remote and now it blinks when i lock the car with the remote instead of staying lit up, and i can't unlock the car after that with the key, only with the remote, i'm guessing now that if the button is not pressed then that function of the alarm will be disabled

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
Also... more information needed :roll:

What YEAR is your RAV4?
What STATE are you in?

Sounds like it might be some sort of alarm installed in the Southeast region.
By the sounds of this I'd guess you are in the Southeast US?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott Cummings said:
Did not realise that you guys in the States have button to turn off or on the Traction Control. In Europe we don't get a switch and the Traction Control is on all the time.

Yep my vote is for Alarm Indicator LED.
I too think it's the LED indicator for the alarm.

(Lucky RAV4 owners in Europe and the states... in Canada, we don't get traction control at all. :()

·
Registered
422 Posts
Scott, I don't have a switch to turn off my traction control, so it must just be some US Ravs that do. I wish I did because having it on does take away a little bit of the fun factor when driving in snow. ;)

Becky

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly, It's no fun and that beeping sound and flashing light !!!! arrggh !!!

I remembered I think it's just the 2WD RAV4's that have the button to turn off T/C.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree. It's most likely for the alarm. Easiest way is to ask directly to your dealer (if you are the first owner) or to the previous owner who had it installed.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Derek said:
Oh that's the red button you were talking about. :)

I thought you meant this one:
:D
lol!

I think it may be traction control also. Does it go off when you press the TRAC OFF button or the SET button (from what I can see in the picture). You can try checking it out through the manual for the car, or at least it should say something about it in there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts