Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, proud to finally be a part of R4W! I've had my 2008 RAV4 (which I've cunningly renamed my RV4) for around two years now, but within the last two months have transformed it into a mini home for myself!

I'm driving across country (originally from Pittsburgh, PA) in what I've coined my Journey of Fear. I'm attempting to learn some stuff about life. If you'd like to know what I'm hoping to learn or what in the hell I was thinking when I started this, follow the link to the blog that I just started a week ago and check it out!

I've been on the road for a month, and life's been very interesting, but very good! The RV4 has taken great care of me, through the good times and the tough. I can say that, after two years together, I'm finally falling in love. Even now, I'm realizing how blessed I truly am for the home that I was able to create out of this incredible little vehicle (I've met many homeless people along this journey). It's funny, I always figured that Corvettes and Ferraris were the cars that had devoted fan bases, not Toyotas. I obviously think differently now.

If you'd like to learn more about How I Transformed the RV4, or what Day-To-Day Life is like, follow the previous links.

I also guess that I have another question, for any out there who have done some serious traveling. Are there any good ways of making money on the road that you'd recommend? I'm currently in California, trying to make the money to keep going for a while (I'm scheduled to stay at a Buddhist monastery next week, and I need to simply survive until then). I setup a GoFundMe campaign a few weeks ago, which was a HUGE blessing and got me as far as San Francisco, but that's slowed down since then, and I'm bone dry now unfortunately. Any recommendations would be immensely appreciated!

On the positive side, I promise to post with any interesting RAV4-related happenings that I encounter while out on the road. Until next time, take care!

Thanks,

-Ben D'Amico
[email protected]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds you are having a journey of the lifetime. I always admire people doing this, gonna check more your blog. Welcome

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Making money - a friend of mine has been on the road now for six years. He has certifications of mechanics schools and does rounds of RV camps doing mechanics work under agreement of the camp owners. When there's not mechanics work, he does handy man jobs - anywhere, anything. He's a friendly, up-beat guy that people just like to have working for them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You're awesome, Ben. For others, here is his YouTube video showing his RV4 conversion and a few other things.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Making money - a friend of mine has been on the road now for six years. He has certifications of mechanics schools and does rounds of RV camps doing mechanics work under agreement of the camp owners. When there's not mechanics work, he does handy man jobs - anywhere, anything.
And with his obvious ingenuity and abilities as demonstrated by the RAV4-to-RV4 conversion, he should be in demand for repairs & handiwork around any RV park (and be able to take a REAL shower). Would just have to make arrangements with the park owners so as not to "step on toes."

IMO that would be much better than asking for charity online.

He might run into an issue I did at some campgrounds back when I was towing my dyno behind my car. Some places did not approve of sleeping in your car so I had to set up a tent and put some stuff in it before retiring to my much more comfortable metal tent, my car.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
NASA would probably appreciate your home engineering! Even the shower could work in micro-gravity.
For reading, if you haven't already, consider Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon.
Speaking of being homeless on the road, a picture by Mary Ellen Mark here.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts