Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Folks I'm closing this thread until I can get the chance to edit out some of the childish name calling and get back to "just the facts ma'am."

Reactions: Blogson

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Thread reopened with a few posts deleted. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds good. This is 18+ discussion only :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase a fun CUV this fall finally and strongly considering CX5 Turbo 2021 which should be out by end of month and will be easier to get then Prime at below msrp. I figured to throw in this comparison for myself, but thought anyone else on the same boat. In my case with all factors put in together Prime isn't saving money first 6 years at least and I am pretty sure I will get rid of it at around 6-7 year mark anyway. Also not going to take resale value into consideration, both will be down the drain anyway since we'll likely have 2nd gen Prime or even full electric one.
View attachment 156633

Why CX5? It's arguably best bang for your buck in terms of fun to drive, handling and reliability based on numerous reviews. 0-60 times are pretty close to Prime as well. I do not like infotainment in pre 2021 versions however, but they reportedly improved it with bigger screen.
Toyota

I have a few questions from your spread sheet

Maintenance est . How did you come to these numbers? $2,000 vs $1,200

Are you figuring brakes for the CX5 so you are $800 higher with the CX5?

You are going to at least replace the tires one time

Are the tires comparable in price?

What about oil changes? Do you plan to change the oil as frequently using electricity vs ICE?

Does Mazda offer the 2 year service like Toyota?

Mileage $11,000 for both. What exactly is that figure represent?

Sales Tax you have at about 10%. Is that correct ?

You may want to include registration fees in your analysis. Depending on the State the Prime May be higher especially if it is taxed on the value.

California assuming the State you live in will also access an additional fee for the PHEV to offset lost road tax they collect from gasoline consumption

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

Russ

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Toyota

I have a few questions from your spread sheet

Maintenance est . How did you come to these numbers? $2,000 vs $1.200

Are you figuring brakes for the CX5 so you are $800 higher with the CX5?

milage $11,000 for both. What exactly is that figure represent?

Sales Tax you have at about 10%. Is that correct ?

You may want to include registration fees in your analysis. Depending on the State the Prime May be higher especially if it is taxed on the value.

California assuming the State you live in will also access an additional fee for the PHEV to offset lost road tax they collect from gasoline consumption

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

Russ
It's a rough estimate after all, so there will be other fees and expences, as well as insurance cost variations. I was biased towards Prime to give it estimate for maintenance and fill up costs, it's a very rough number given I would use gas and electricity. 11k is my yearly mileage which is roughly 10k a year, but I threw in extra 1k in there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's a rough estimate after all, so there will be other fees and expences, as well as insurance cost variations. I was biased towards Prime to give it estimate for maintenance and fill up costs, it's a very rough number given I would use gas and electricity. 11k is my yearly mileage which is roughly 10k a year, but I threw in extra 1k in there.
Toyota

I understand and it looks like you have given it a lot of thought and assuming gas doesn’t go way North of $3 in the next 6 years the two autos meet at year 6 which is when you plan to sell.

Thanks for your analysis.

I can do better seeking understanding before I speak.

Enjoy your CX5

Russ

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There are sweet deals on Escape 2020 Turbo (same 5.7 0-60) which maybe worth a look. Here is updated comparison. In short you can save whole bunch of money, even if you get extended warranty

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I've had more than enough problems with Fords and with service people who couldn't resolve problems properly, so there are no Fords in my present or future.

Reactions: alexcue

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've had more than enough problems with Fords and with service people who couldn't resolve problems properly, so there are no Fords in my present or future.
So I heard, also heard Dodge is horrible in reliability. Yet mine is somehow been doing fine for 7 years almost... Must be luck. VW on the other hand... That one I definitely avoid and pretty much all that ”German engeered”.

Need to test drive Escape first before making judgement.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So I heard, also heard Dodge is horrible in reliability. Yet mine is somehow been doing fine for 7 years almost... Must be luck. VW on the other hand... That one I definitely avoid and pretty much all that ”German engeered”.

Need to test drive Escape first before making judgement.
Toyota.

Owned a 1989 Honda Civic 5 speed manual.

Paid new $10,500 new. Drove it for about 2 years and put 48,000 miles on it. (Territory sales Rep) Traded it in for a Dodge Caravan 1990 (New job needed the space to haul merchandise for convenient stores.

They gave me $9,000 for the Honda trade in.

Caravan was slightly used. Paid $12,000

Drove it a few years and racked up 70,000 miles. Leaked oil all over my drive way. Traded it in for a Toyota Tercel 18,000 miles and the dealer literally laughed and said “it is a Dodge” when I asked for a more favorable trade-in.

Drove the Tercel for 2 years traded it in and lost $1,000.

It didn’t take long for me to figure out I am going to only own Honda and Toyota.

Fast forward and I owned 4 more Honda’s (Accord)) and the resale was ok but I noticed more and more repairs and they were not cheap

Went back to Toyota in 2016 with a Rav 4 gasoline and never looked back.

I will only buy Toyota.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Toyota.

Owned a 1989 Honda Civic 5 speed manual.

Paid new $10,500 new. Drove it for about 2 years and put 48,000 miles on it. (Territory sales Rep) Traded it in for a Dodge Caravan 1990 (New job needed the space to haul merchandise for convenient stores.

They gave me $9,000 for the Honda trade in.

Caravan was slightly used. Paid $12,000

Drove it a few years and racked up 70,000 miles. Leaked oil all over my drive way. Traded it in for a Toyota Tercel 18,000 miles and the dealer literally laughed and said “it is a Dodge” when I asked for a more favorable trade-in.

Drove the Tercel for 2 years traded it in and lost $1,000.

It didn’t take long for me to figure out I am going to only own Honda and Toyota.

Fast forward and I owned 4 more Honda’s (Accord)) and the resale was ok but I noticed more and more repairs and they were not cheap

Went back to Toyota in 2016 with a Rav 4 gasoline and never looked back.

I will only buy Toyota.
1990??? When Hyundai was known as one of the worst... It's all things of the distant past. You should forget about quality from the 90s... Things changed quite a bit since then

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Company I work for leases 8 2020 Escapes. Please do not invest in these cars. Please.
What's the issue? I didn't find anything major reading up about them...

Lets not forget issues with 19+ RAV4 transmission jerk, engine block, struts, battery dead and of course the infamous fuel fill. I might be missing other things but it's not without faults either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What's the issue? I didn't find anything major reading up about them...

Lets not forget issues with 19+ RAV4 transmission jerk, engine block, struts, battery dead and of course the infamous fuel fill. I might be missing other things but it's not without faults either.
In my '19 rav4 Hybrid, the only issue I have is the tank filling. That said, here are some of the issues on our fleet of Escapes:

• Ignition misfires
  • Rear cameras only work intermittently
  • on 3 of them vibration and humming/droning at 1250 rpm - gets worse the faster you drive
  • all of them have something toward the rear of the seat cushion that pokes up at your butt.
I am also assigned one of these Escapes and I can't tell you how nice it feels to sit in my Rav4 afterwards. Granted, this is based in comfort and quietness of my hybrid and is a personal assessment. Everyone is different so the Rav4 isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
In my '19 rav4 Hybrid, the only issue I have is the tank filling. That said, here are some of the issues on our fleet of Escapes:

• Ignition misfires
  • Rear cameras only work intermittently
  • on 3 of them vibration and humming/droning at 1250 rpm - gets worse the faster you drive
  • all of them have something toward the rear of the seat cushion that pokes up at your butt.
I am also assigned one of these Escapes and I can't tell you how nice it feels to sit in my Rav4 afterwards. Granted, this is based in comfort and quietness of my hybrid and is a personal assessment. Everyone is different so the Rav4 isn't for everyone.
Didnt see anything about ignition.

I read about back up camera issue which seems like an obvious issue and should be addressed.

Engine which I assume base 1.5l model is known to be noisy. Same in RAV4 dronning sound and noisy as reported. 2.0l is smooth and quiet.

Seats probably cloth. Cloth seats in RAV4 are not comfortable either as it was reported. Leather seats are non issue in both.

Seems like you are comparing base rental to your fully loaded Limited.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Didnt see anything about ignition.

I read about back up camera issue which seems like an obvious issue and should be addressed.

Engine which I assume base 1.5l model is known to be noisy. Same in RAV4 dronning sound and noisy as reported. 2.0l is smooth and quiet.

Seats probably cloth. Cloth seats in RAV4 are not comfortable either as it was reported. Leather seats are non issue in both.
Sounds like you talked yourself out of a Rav4 already. Good luck with your car hunting Toyodaornot

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sounds like you talked yourself out of a Rav4 already. Good luck with your car hunting Toyodaornot
Toyota talked me out of RAV4 hybrid when they bought it back. Only here for Prime but I am not discriminating based on car badge and cross shopping other choices.

Reactions: Chazz8

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Made my choice. Prime is no more. Good luck to all

21 - 38 of 38 Posts