Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The invoice price I got from the dealer is $400 ($396 to be precise) higher than what Edmunds lists as the National Base Price. Can this be due to the "advertizing fees." I'm in Northern CA. Just want to make sure that this is indeed the case for Northen CA -- the invoice is higher than the Nataional Base Price.

Thanks!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. Looks like your “invoice” was about $850 higher than “national base price.” (Hmm).

How did you make out in the end?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
base, with alloy wheel, side airbags, roof rack, 6-disc changer, floor mats... and i'm going to have them try and throw in a tonneau cover.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CornMOnkey said:
base, with alloy wheel, side airbags, roof rack, 6-disc changer, floor mats... and i'm going to have them try and throw in a tonneau cover.
Good luck. I'm looking around for a RAV4 (caved in), but it's hard to get the model in the color I want. Slim pickings so far: everglade/taupe, beige/taupe, black/ash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The dealer I was speaking with also said that thier invoice price was different that what is online. I basically told them that I am looking for a price for $500 above what edmunds lists as the invoice and thats the deal I got. You should have a price you are willing to pay and stick to that. If they have extra fees listed on their invoice, that is their problem not yours.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cjchaps said:
The dealer I was speaking with also said that thier invoice price was different that what is online. I basically told them that I am looking for a price for $500 above what edmunds lists as the invoice and thats the deal I got. You should have a price you are willing to pay and stick to that. If they have extra fees listed on their invoice, that is their problem not yours.
which dealer? one in socal?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best internet quote I got so far is $1000 over invoice (Edmunds.com invoice), which is about $1,500 under MSRP. It’s still a good deal, but it’s hard to find a model in the colors I want. I’m looking for Base V6 4X4, and they must be in short supply.

So far the available color choices are: Barcelona red/taupe, Everglade/taupe, Beige/taupe, Black/grey.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This was from an Illinois dealer.

CornMOnkey said:
cjchaps said:
which dealer? one in socal?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same issue. The wierd thing is that the sticker prices totally match KBB, Edmounds etc. That means if the base invoice is higher than what is published, they have to be making less money on the options because the MSRP didn't change. Just more proof of how we are being manipulated by the dealers and thier questionable practices. If I don't find a Toyota dealer soon who is not jerking me around and is willing to make a fair profit of $1000-1200 above "true" invoice, I'm going to forget about buying a 06 Rav4 or any Toyota for that mater and look for something else.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think you just have to look at a price you are being quoted and place it in relation to edmund's invoice and MSRP. Then you'll know if it's a fair price. I've gotten quotes from $1500 under MSRP to MSRP(!). But most have been $1000 under. Availability is definitely an issue.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just did a deal today for 200 over invoice in downstate NY and I noticed the same thing. The dealers invoice price was $425 over Edmunds.com, Therefore my price is actuallly 625 over edmunds invoice. Still not so bad just a little surprising. This was for a limited 4x4 V6 with SR,HD,EJ,GY,RL,FE,C4,LA & TO. FINAL PRICE 27,782. MSRP is $30,254 a difference of $2,472.00. I will be joining the club soon. :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boombstc said:
I just did a deal today for 200 over invoice in downstate NY and I noticed the same thing. The dealers invoice price was $425 over Edmunds.com, Therefore my price is actuallly 625 over edmunds invoice. Still not so bad just a little surprising. This was for a limited 4x4 V6 with SR,HD,EJ,GY,RL,FE,C4,LA & TO. FINAL PRICE 27,782. MSRP is $30,254 a difference of $2,472.00. I will be joining the club soon. :wink:
If you figure that the dealer made the $425 over manufacturers invoice plus $500 for holdback plus your $200 contribution, that's $1,125 over true invoice and you still saved $2,472 from the MSRP. Wish we could get deals like that in California. As a checkpoint, Consumer Reports says that you should negotiate your deal so that the price you pay is between 4% to 8% over the dealers true invoice.

I still believe that charges like that $425 that the dealer had on his invoice are not real costs and are there to insure that the dealership makes their target profit. The math just doesn't work if the dealers invoice is $425 higher than what is published but the MSRP stays the same.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sloopG said:
If you figure that the dealer made the $425 over manufacturers invoice plus $500 for holdback plus your $200 contribution, that's $1,125 over true invoice and you still saved $2,472 from the MSRP. Wish we could get deals like that in California. As a checkpoint, Consumer Reports says that you should negotiate your deal so that the price you pay is between 4% to 8% over the dealers true invoice.
Just did the math. I paid 4.3% above "true" invoice. These dealers dont make it easy!!!! There is a $3,600 margin beetween true invoice and MSRP. I'm in the wrong business!!! :roll:

·
Registered
233 Posts
This weekend, my wife and I, we decided on the Rav4 4x4 6V in the base version. One reason to buy this car was the third row seating, what we really liked and will find good use for.

Base 4x4 6V with TH, GY, DR, TO, DL, AW, FE, and some other stuff like mudguards, floor mats, and cargo net.

We ended up paying around the Fitzmall price for a similar car (around $1500 under MSRP or around $1000 over Edmunds invoice). I guess that was pretty close to walking out of the showroom. :shock: It did not help that the saleman "forgot" to add the alloys on the final bill! :roll: I guess that is part of the carbuying experience :p

However, thanks to the forum we decided on the V6 even we never had a chance to drive it. The I4 was already pretty nice and with almost the MPG we will be hopefully even more impressed by the additional 100 HP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts