Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horn is not working, put volt meter on hot wire out to horns on the grill, power when activating alarm, no power when pressing the switch on the steering column. Looking now for the horn relay, every drawing I find for the 1999 Rav4 4 door shows the horn relay located in RB/6 in the engine compartment, RB/6 in this vehicle does not match the drawings, it's close, and the backside of the cover accounts for all the relays there but does not list a horn relay. Can anyone help, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
horn relay fro 99 rav4

Thanks for the reply Lugnut. What i have near the left driver side knee is a fuse box, no relay, the fuse for the horn circuit is in that box though. I have replaced the faulty horn, tested both horns with the alarm button with success but crickets when i press the horn on the steering wheel. I am down to the horn relay and switch in the steering column. I am hoping someone who has replaced the horn rely can give me a clue to it's location. All the links for drawings have been the same set of drawings that are incorrect for this 1999 Toyota Rav4.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Thanks for the reply Lugnut. What i have near the left driver side knee is a fuse box, no relay, the fuse for the horn circuit is in that box though. I have replaced the faulty horn, tested both horns with the alarm button with success but crickets when i press the horn on the steering wheel. I am down to the horn relay and switch in the steering column. I am hoping someone who has replaced the horn rely can give me a clue to it's location. All the links for drawings have been the same set of drawings that are incorrect for this 1999 Toyota Rav4.
If it's like my '08, the relay is buried in that "integration module" along with the fuse. My module has several relays and fuses. Do you hear a click when you press the horn button?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, there is no click when pressing the steering wheel pad. I am assuming Junebug and lugnut, you guys are saying i must drop the left bottom half of the dash(in front of my left knee) to get to intergration relay or even see it?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Before going after that relay, you need to find out if the horn switch on the steering wheel is bad, or if the spiral cable (clockspring) is open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To Junebug and Lugnut,

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered a clockspring and put it in. That corrected the problem, horn is working now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts