Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Man its been some time since I visited here. I'm hoping someone will have an answer to a simple question I cannot find anywhere else on the internet.
"Where is the oil sending switch located on a 2000? " I have a steady oil leak that seems like its coming from toward the back of the engine and a little bit to the left when you are in front of the vehicle looking at the engine. I thought it was the pan gasket and it might be, but my mechanic tells me to first check the oil sending unit as they have a higher failure rate and could be the likely cause.
Thanks all in advance !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, that's where it is. If you have AWD, get ready for an interesting time getting to it. FWD much easier. (I have/had both). I accessed it from underneath the car, just behind the right front tire on both as part of the valve stem seal jobs.
So, is that it in the back left side ( when looking at the engine ) on the corner of the pan in the back and underneath a big harness ? I can see something underneath the harness in that corner and it looks like thats where the oil is leaking from.
Thanks guys, I cant find info on this anywhere.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow! On my 99 Rav4, the oil pressure switch is about the easiest part on the whole car to get at.

Sits on the front of the head, on the right side of the engine, just about in the center of the engine compartment. Sits a little above and to the right of the exhaust manifold shield.
You open the hood and it is right in front of you.

Wonder why they moved it as this is the same location the 5sfe used in my Camry and many other Toyota's I've seen.

I've seen a lot of oil senders on Chevies and Fords leak, but not Toyota.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think I stand corrected -- that sensor is on the front of the 2000 as well (just looked on mine). I do remember something being very difficult to get to on that back side of the engine, however.

Valve cover gasket/cam seal would be other possible sources of leaks there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My engine is set up the same way. If that thing in the front like I have circled too is the oil sending switch, then this isnt my problem. Mine is back in the left corner on the corner of the valve pan. I thought it was just the pan leaking but there is something under the harness that I cant see good enough but I can tell its covered in oil. And the stain on the ground is under this same area.
Heres a pic of mine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A knock sensor wouldnt leak oil though would it ? Here is a closer shot of the area although its so far down in the corneer and under the harness I cant get a good shot at it. It looks like there is something there but I dont know what it is.
...And thanks guys for the input, I really appreciate it. The place where I work has politely asked me to quit leaking oil on their new blacktopped parking lot :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Could be the timing cover gasket, or the valve cover gasket, both could leak and drip in that area.

Drips are sneaky, they can run a long way before you see them drop.

Good luck.

Reactions: Cobnobuler
1 - 11 of 11 Posts