Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just joined here to ask someone a simple question. I recently just got a 2014 Rav4 XLE. I noticed on the weather thing it is not my city that is being displayed instead it is a city located a few hours away from me. I am just trying to figure out how to fix this problem because it honestly just bothers me a lot. Being a high school student still and about to go off to college in a few months I am just trying to fix the location so I don't have to keep clicking around. Everything else is great however!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Only the nearest city with hd weather signal will be picked up by the headunit. Same as the traffic update.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I received my Rav4 (2 miles on the odometer, fresh off the truck), the weather and traffic apps didn't work. The display just said, "Not Available." I wasn't happy because it worked fine in the Rav4 I test drove.

I took it back to the dealer and they said the local radio station might not be broadcasting the signal at that time or it might take a couple of days for my radio to lock onto it. I was admittedly skeptical, since I've worked with both radio and data transmission for years.

So I called a few contacts I had among the local broadcast community and was eventually directed to a local station engineer who seemed to know the score. He said, depending on my driving habits, it could very well take several days for the radio to find the signal.

Here's how he explained it to me:

Your radio is really just a computer that receives radio signals. (So are all your modern TVs for that matter.) When you turn on your ignition, the radio 'boots up' just like a computer. One of the first things it does is look for weather and traffic data being broadcast. And the first place it looks for that data is the last place it found it: Whatever radio station was broadcasting the data at that time.

So it listens to that data and compares it to the last data it received. If the received data is newer, it stores that data away in memory, then displays it on the screen.

But if the data is the same as before, it just displays the last data received.

Then, in either case, it begins searching for other stations broadcasting weather and traffic data. If it finds a station that is closer or has fresher data, it begins storing that info into memory.

However, depending on the strength of the signals, noise, interference, data errors and the number of HD stations in your area, this can take considerable time.

If you only take short trips, or are driving in an area with many tall buildings, hills, tunnels, bridges or areas with electrical interference, your radio may not find another station or may not completely receive all the data before you get to your destination and turn off the ignition. And if the radio doesn't have a complete, good copy of that data, it throws it all away and keeps what it already has.

So the next time you climb in and start your car, the whole process begins again and the radio starts looking for weather and traffic data at the last place it found a good copy, which may not be a local station at all!

He suggested I go out and sit in my car with the radio on for half to three quarters of an hour and watch the weather display. I did, and after about 20-25 minutes the weather screen updated and I had both weather and traffic.

I asked him which local station broadcasted the weather data and he wouldn't say, since it wasn't one of his stations. I later figured out it was a station owned by ClearChannel (now iHeartRadio). But if there are no HD radio stations in your area, there won't be any local weather or traffic broadcasts to receive.

I would suggest you turn on your radio, select "Station List" and then select "Refresh." The radio will search for all the radio stations it can receive. Do this for both FM and AM (Yes, there are AM HD stations as well.) Then look at the list and see if any of them have an 'HD)' icon next to them. Again, no 'HD)' icon means no hope of having data.

I tried to find a list of HD stations broadcasting weather and traffic info, but no one seems to promote that feature. I know if I drive East of my home, I get about 80 miles away before the local weather switches to a different area. But I have driven over 350 miles both West and South and never received any updates. Apparently there are no stations broadcasting weather or traffic out there.

It's nice when it works, but it's pretty spotty; I wouldn't want to have to depend on it. I've thought for many years they should just put National Weather Service receivers in all car radios. It really wouldn't cost all that much to add.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts