Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Rav in for reprogramming of the lock and unlock features, removed all the beeping and all doors now unlock with one click. They wouldn't turn off the seat belt beeper :(, tho, but they didn't charge me anything for the reprogramming either!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
Thats because like I said before its a safety feature. And if they stop it they are open for a libality lawsuit.. If they stopped a seatbelt beeper and some idiot got in an accident and got hurt because their belt was not on they would blame Toyota for not letting em know that the belt needed to be on. Silly as it sounds this happens all the time and the people actually win..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service mgr said the option wasn't available, but we know different, he just didn't want to get into the safety issue and saying the option wasn't available was the easy way out. :roll: I didn't press the issue, was glad to loose the beeping at lock and unlock. One beep at lock wasn't too bad, but the 4 beeps at 2 unlock clicks was ridiculous!!
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I did not know you could do that!

BTW, I think having to click twice to open all doors is a safety feature too. What if there are some thugs on the other side -- you can get in the driver seat without opening all the doors. At least that was my thinking about why you have to click twice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what the alarm button is for!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
kc456 said:
I did not know you could do that!

BTW, I think having to click twice to open all doors is a safety feature too. What if there are some thugs on the other side -- you can get in the driver seat without opening all the doors. At least that was my thinking about why you have to click twice.
That is exactly the thinking behind that double click feature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
The G Man said:
kc456 said:
I did not know you could do that!

BTW, I think having to click twice to open all doors is a safety feature too. What if there are some thugs on the other side -- you can get in the driver seat without opening all the doors. At least that was my thinking about why you have to click twice.
That is exactly the thinking behind that double click feature.
Sooo... any "Thug" with half a brain knows that all American cars require you to click twice to open all doors. They will be waiting to come up behind you as you get in your car or open the drivers door after you get in.

The recommended safety tip is to be aware of your surroundings, don't park in an isolated non-lighted area, immediately lock your doors when you get in the car and before you start your engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
summerwind said:
Sooo... any "Thug" with half a brain knows that all American cars require you to click twice to open all doors. They will be waiting to come up behind you as you get in your car or open the drivers door after you get in.
I think you hit the key point here: "any Thug with half a brain" .

Half of the thugs dont have a half a brain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
The alarm button is to draw attention so everyone can see you get beat up by the thug.

"Any thug with 1/2 a brain .. but 1/2 the thugs don't have 1/2 a brain" Wait, I can get this ... you divide by 4 and then square the answer .. right ?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Lock and unlock beeping

Is there any way to reprogram this yourself, or does the dealer have special equipment to modify/disable the beeping?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, dealer has to do it with their scan tool. :cry:
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
if we could only get one of those tools, all we need is one and we can send it around to each other....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,348 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
flyingn said:
Thats because like I said before its a safety feature. And if they stop it they are open for a libality lawsuit.. If they stopped a seatbelt beeper and some idiot got in an accident and got hurt because their belt was not on they would blame Toyota for not letting em know that the belt needed to be on. Silly as it sounds this happens all the time and the people actually win..
A beeping sound does not tell anyone to fasten thier seatbelt. You, flyingn, should lobby Toyota to put in actual voice commands for safety, if you are so concerned, not a generic beep that is used for various functions. Did you ever notice some Jeeps have no doors installed from the factory. There are many other things that you can do to your vehicle that would be far more unsafe and there are no beepers to tell you to do it or not. It is unsafe to drive at 180kph on most public roads but there is no beeper for that. It is unsafe to cut your springs to lower your vehicle, but it is a common up(down)grade. No beepers go off to tell you to not cut your springs. No beeper goes off to tell you to not drive drunk. No beeper goes off in the RAV4 to tell you that your hood is not fully latched. But the worst one I can tell is that there is no beeper on your computer, flyngn, that alerts you that you are posting something that is irrelevent to a thread.

OK, there there now, calm down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
apparently you don't know much about libelity(sp) lawsuits.. IF toyota disconnects a buzzer that lets you know to fasten the belts(voice or buzzer) a lawyer would eat them alive with a defeat of a safety device lawsuit and absolutly win.. if you disconnect it Toyota is not libel

don't get mad at me.. Im just tellin you how it is..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
ok.

Actually, not ok. A BEEPER IS NOT A SAFETY DEVICE. It is an adudible reminder, or, a convenience feature. I looked into this because I am bored stiff and have nothing better to do right now. I called Toyota (Canada), NHTSA (USA), and a Toyota dealership (Canada). Toyota Canada does not know of any mandatory requirment of an audible alarm for any components, safety or otherwise. NHTSA deals with complaints but was unaware of any of their sections that cover audible alarms on passenger vehicles. A service manager at a dealership said it is not a mandatory feature on thier vehicles and that he has heard several requests for the beeper to be disabled. He said the programing software is getting an update and is hoping that this will be an included option to change and will do it when they can.

If a dumb a** got a dumber a** laywer to take this case, Toyota should counter sue for a frivolous lawsuit (disabling a convenience feature). HAHA thats funny.

See where I am going flyingn?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
flyingn said:
I totally agree with you.. But I am also involved with libel lawsuits thru my job and se this kinda stuff all the time.:(
I'm "A OK" now.

We don't have the very large punitive settlements here in Canada so there isn't much insentive for outrageous libel lawsuits. I am happy to here there might be an upgrade in the scan tool software to give more programming options.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top