Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I tried a small vinyl/plastic coated key lock to deter people from walking off with my hard shell spare tire cover. Unfortunatley the key slot is not protected and quickly becomes corroded with road salt/dirt etc, rendering it useless.

I am currently using a plastic locking tie just to secure the latch.

Any ideas, suggestions or name of a lock company that offers a lock with a protected key slot?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Both Master Lock and the Ace Hardware brand have plastic-clad locks that have a black plastic cover that snaps over the key slot. The hole in the spare tire cover is so small I did have to strip off some of the plastic on the hasp of the lock, but so far at least that's not a big deal. Because I didn't want to strip off all the plastic on the hasp my lock actually hangs sideways, but again, no big deal so far. If color matters, the Master Lock ones are blue and black and the Ace ones are red and black. I'd rather have the blue ML one, but I was at Ace when I bought it so I ended up with the red one.

Becky

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't stand the look of a lock dangling on the other Ravs I see. If anyone wants it bad enough that little lock won't help.
I used a stainless steel allen bolt and an acorn nut to keep it secure.
Most people don't carry an allen wrench and an open end wrench around with them so I figure I'm safe from all but the most determined thieves.

J

·
0 Posts
Had mine stolen during the holidays. I had a Master Lock on it. My guess is whatever you put on it, if the guy want it, he will get it !!!!
Now i'm looking for a new cover or a used one bcause new one is 475$. Anyone knows if there is "aftermarket" for this part ?

R

·
0 Posts
Brandsport has them for $389 less a (10?%) discount from this board (I think they still do that?)

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
runciter said:
Brandsport has them for $389 less a (10?%) discount from this board (I think they still do that?)

Funny you should mention BrandSport :lol:

YES :!: BrandSport is still one of our sponsors! I just got done placing a few of their adverts on our forums... with a couple CHANGES in the program they offer us -

1. Their ads now go directly to their RAV4 section.
2. Our additional 10% discount code is now "r4w".
(It used to be "rw4"... for some odd reason :? )

Here's a direct link through our discount offer link. The deal is 10% off their RED price, FREE shipping (US 48 ) and NO sales tax. Use coupon code "r4w".

BrandSport

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Never would have thought of this being a problem. Or a replacement cover being so costly for that matter. Guess throwing a lock on there is something to think about.

R

·
0 Posts
Becky,
Do you happen to have a picture of that lock you bought? I have been searching all over (Lowes, Target, WalMart, Sears Hardware) and haven't been able to find a lock that is small enough for the cover yet also has the rubber boot to protect the key lock.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You guys are lucky that you even have a deterrent method for your cover. If you had the hard/soft cover like on the S or base models, it'd be easy pickings for thieves. Mine was stolen, and I've seen other Ravs with theirs gone as well cause they have the bare tire out or replaced them with some cheapie vinyl covering. Geez, I wonder to whom these thieves are selling them to cause they'd look out of place anywhere but on the Ravs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't even have a cover on mine, except for the silver hubcap in the middle. I would take that thing off but my spare rim is rusting a little and it doesn't match my alloys.

I don't worry that much because if the thieves want the tire bad enough they can have my crappy sun-baked Toyo spare tire on the rusting steel rim.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Runciter, I'll snap one tomorrow (as it's too late tonight to do it...I'm late to bed). In the meantime, I can tell you I got it at Ace Hardware, it's approx. 1.5" across the body of the lock, the plastic on the hasp and top of the lock body is black, the plastic on the middle of the lock body is red, and the plastic cap across the keyhole is black. As I mentioned, you do have to strip off a bit of the hasp plastic to make it go through the hole. I stripped off maybe 1/3 of it, and consequently my lock hangs sideways instead of upright. You could easily strip off a bit more if you want it to hang upright. Anyway, I'll post a pic tomorrow night.

Becky

·
Registered
422 Posts
Okay, here's the pic of the lock on my spare. It's not really pink...that's the flash. It's definitely red. :) Oh, and yes, the Rav really is that filthy. It's UNBELIEVABLY sloppy here with all the salt on the roads and the snow melting (we're over the freezing point!). But we have temps in the range of about 5 degrees F. coming this weekend...I can hardly wait.

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the pic. It looks like a Brinks lock. Wow that really is snug. Looks like the metal is almost the full diameter of the hole... Is there any rattle?

Thx again

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure who really makes the Ace Hardware branded locks. The Master Lock that we had on my husband's 4.1 tire cover looks almost identical but is blue clad. I'm pretty sure it was one size bigger than my lock though, otherwise it would be on my Rav now. It's been a while since I tried it, but I assume that's the reason.

Yep, it's snug, but does slide in and out easily enough. I hit it every now and then with WD-40 to protect it. I'm probably about due for that now in fact.

If it rattles, I can't hear it when I'm inside the Rav. I have an interior squeak, but even before that cropped up I never heard anything from the tailgate.

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
Ahh, they were ACE branded. Well I'm off to Ace to see if they have any. Thx again for the pix.

J

·
0 Posts
I found the weather proof Master locks at target and Lowes however I only found these:

target:
3 packs(Black) for $13.99

Lowes:
3 packs(Blue) for $16.79
1 pack(Blue) for $6.79

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THIS IS SOME FEEDBACK ON THE ORIGINAL POSTING I MADE ABOUT FINDING A WEATHERPROOF LOCK FOR MY 2004 RAV 4 HARDSHELL SPARE TIRE COVER.
I PURCHASED A WEATHERPROOF MASTERLOCK 313D. IT WAS THE SMALLEST WEATHERPROOF WITH A COVERED KEYSLOT ON THE MASTERLOCK WEBSITE. IT WAS EVEN GREEN AND I HAVE A EVERGLADE METALLIC RAV 4. THEY ALSO OFFERED IT IN CAMOFLAGE.
I TRIED ACE HARDWARE BUT THEIR SHIPMENT WAS NOT IN YET.

THE MASTERLOCK DOES NOT FIT. EVEN THE METAL END PART OF THE SHACKLE THAT GOES INTO THE LOCK BASE IS TOO LARGE TO FIT THROUGH THE HOLE, SO TRIMMING OFF THE PLASTIC/VINYL COATED SHACKLE WOULDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
I EMAILED MASTERLOCK AGAIN TO VERIFY IF THIS IS THE SMALLEST WEATHERPROOF LOCK THEY MAKE.
I ALSO PLAN TO CONTACT TOYOTA AS THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED.
WISH ME LUCK AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS WITH THIS PROBLEM.

(Admin Note: Judester has been told not to use ALL CAPS anymore. We will get our posting quidelines updated soon. 8) )

J

·
0 Posts
PURCHASED A WEATHERPROOF MASTERLOCK 313D. IT WAS THE SMALLEST WEATHERPROOF WITH A COVERED KEYSLOT ON THE MASTERLOCK WEBSITE...THE MASTERLOCK DOES NOT FIT
I 2nd that. I just bought the 3 pack the other day and tried it out. Doesn't Fit.

=(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts