Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LE and do not have a "Smart Key"

I've searched and cannot find any thread that addresses my issue. Last week when I came out from work, my "unlock" button on my key would not work. So I manually used the key and unlocked my door. Then I got out and tried the "lock" button. Nothing. Aha! The battery must be dead. I just got home from the store with a new battery, installed it correctly, with the + side up, put it all back together, and it still doesn't work.

Do I somehow have to reprogram something? The other key I have works fine.

Thanks!

Tom

G

·
There have been a few threads on this, and for most the issue was the receiver module.
Try unlocking while standing at the back of the vehicle (there is another receiver module there).

Sorry Tom, I didn't read that the other key works fine..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Tom, does the little LED on the key flash when you push a button? Put it up against an AM radio tuned between stations--you should hear a signal on the radio when the button is pushed. Does the panic button work? Check the battery again, make sure it's in properly and making contact. Check the battery with a meter if you have one--it should be at least 3 volts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Junebug, I am not aware of any led on either of my keys. I do plan to recheck and then try again. Getting the key apart was easy, but getting the inside part to open to get the battery was difficult.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Junebug, I am not aware of any led on either of my keys. I do plan to recheck and then try again. Getting the key apart was easy, but getting the inside part to open to get the battery was difficult.
Tom, the 4.3 keys have a little LED on the circuit board. You have to look down into a little hole to see it on the outside of the key. If the 4.4 doesn't have that, try the AM radio trick. That way at least you'll know if it's sending out a signal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks, but I believe I just screwed the pooch on this one. When I took it apart again to check voltage, the clip that retains the battery separated from the circuit board. This key has since been put on my wife's keychain. Not going to give the dealer big $$ for another one. Yes, 41000 miles, out of warranty...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought two brand new key/remote combos on Ebay, had em cut at a local hardware store, and then the local dealership programmed em in to the computer - paid around $35 per key total cost. In your case, all you need to do is swap the guts from one key to the other and enter them in yourself. If you're lucky, you should be able to find a donor key and do it for $10-20 total.

BTW, the remote innards in the aftermarket keys I bought are interchangeable with the factory key remote. I'm not sure what year Rav4 you have so not sure which key you need.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
desinia, Sounds good. What do you mean, "enter them in yourself?" Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
98 Posts
desinia, Sounds good. What do you mean, "enter them in yourself?" Thanks!
Tom
You can program the remotes yourself. There's a secret procedure that involves opening and shutting the doors and inserting the key in a complex pattern that sets the car's computer to read & accept the new remote. This is the way it worked on my 2012 Rav4. I'd be real surprised if these instructions can't be found on this forum somewhere already but I'm kinda new here.

Oops! Forgot to mention that you need to do ALL remotes again. Regardless of what other instructions might say, the vehicle erases all of the remotes each time and starts fresh so you need to have all your remotes handy when you start.
----------------------------------------

Before you start programming your new key, make sure your do the following:

• Keep the driver side door open and unlocked.
  • Remove your key from the ignition.
Step 1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds.

NOTE:
Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds.
Step 2. Close and open driver side door TWICE.

Step 3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE:
Steps 4 – 6 should be performed within 40 seconds.
Step 4. Close and open the driver side door twice.

Step 5. Insert the key into the ignition.

Step 6. Close the door.

NOTE:
Steps 5 and 6 should be reversed for the following models ONLY (close door first,
then insert key into ignition):
Step 7. Turn the ignition switch from “Lock” to “On” and back to “Lock” at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode:

• 1 time for ADD mode.
  • 2 times for REWRITE mode.
  • 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode.
Step 8. Remove the key from the ignition.

Step 9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle “lock” to “unlock” a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

Step 10. For Add or Rewrite modes do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation:

• A. Press both transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release.
  • B. Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1 second and release.
    • If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle “lock” to “unlock” once at this time.
    • If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
  • C. If multiple remotes are to be reprogrammed, repeat steps A and B.
Step 11. Open the driver’s door to conclude programming mode.

-----------------------------------------

This sounds more complicated than it actually is but don't be discouraged if you don't get it right on the first try. Sometimes it helps to spread salt in a thin circle on the ground around the vehicle before starting. Print the instructions and keep em in the glove box. You might need it again some time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. Sounds like a fire drill.... ;-) But thanks!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Would I have to go through the reprogramming mentioned above with these?
Yep, you will have to go through the door slamming routine. As desinia mentioned, get someone to read the instructions while you do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts