Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is supposed to be used on slippery surfaces. But if it sells in the thousands, someone's gonna get curious/forgetful and press the centre diff lock button while the car's on the bitumen.

Too shafts rotating at different speeds.....solidly connected, something has to give?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
From what I've read, the new RAV4 uses an electromagnetic coupling with a wet clutch at the rear diff to apportion power, instead of a centre diff. The "lock" button on the dash just tells the computer to override its torque split programming and split power 55/45 up to 25 mph/40 km/h. Obviously, the system still allows some slip between axles to avoid binding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
at work we have an old Toyota Hiace 4wd.. which is open diff in front and rear, but no diff at middle...

when driving 4wd on dry road and turning the wheels will slip... and the car are vibrating and "jumping" around...

seems like it's solid enaugh to take this, but it does not feel right.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
thats axle wind up. This CANNOT happen on a 06 rav.

NilsintheSnow said:
at work we have an old Toyota Hiace 4wd.. which is open diff in front and rear, but no diff at middle...

when driving 4wd on dry road and turning the wheels will slip... and the car are vibrating and "jumping" around...

seems like it's solid enaugh to take this, but it does not feel right.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Lockable centre diff- What r the chances of winding them

Rav4WD said:
It is supposed to be used on slippery surfaces. But if it sells in the thousands, someone's gonna get curious/forgetful and press the centre diff lock button while the car's on the bitumen.

Too shafts rotating at different speeds.....solidly connected, something has to give?
When I was shopping for mine I test drove one that had the center lock turned on, the salesman, at a Toyota dealer, didn't even know what it was. I have no idea how long it had been on but it didn't want to go around a corner in the parking lot so it was probably pretty wound up. When I turned it off it didn't seem to be makeing any odd noises though. I didn't buy that one anyway :)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts

just to clarify. This was on what vehicle?

tankd0g said:
Rav4WD said:

When I was shopping for mine I test drove one that had the center lock turned on, the salesman, at a Toyota dealer, didn't even know what it was. I have no idea how long it had been on but it didn't want to go around a corner in the parking lot so it was probably pretty wound up. When I turned it off it didn't seem to be makeing any odd noises though. I didn't buy that one anyway :)

·
Registered
880 Posts

flyingn said:
just to clarify. This was on what vehicle?

tankd0g said:
Rav4WD said:

This was on a 4.2 actually.

·
Registered
771 Posts
On the 4.2 with Open diffs and the viscous coupling transferring torque front and back, there is no binding at all. In fact that was one of the first things I noticed while on a test drive in mine. So called "real" 4wd, for example Ford F150 (I know don't say it) this vehicle has horrible bind. Could not believe how much.

With Toyota's new technology I think the binding issue is dead. Didn't notice it on the 4.3 I crucified while I had it locked it and tearin' it up. System works well.

Later. M.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That's the difference between full-time 4WD (or AWD) and part-time 4WD. One has a centre differential to allow the axles to turn at different speeds; the other doesn't. The only RAV4 you could get axle binding in is the 4.1 4WD with manual transmission, since that's the only model that allows the centre diff to be locked, temporarily turning it into a part-time 4WD system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts