Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install a safe / lockbox to carry expensive medication. I need about 1 to 2 cubic feet.

I would like to at least screw something in to a strong piece of metal.

I am also thinking of welding on a cage that could hold a $100 safe like you see at Target or in a hotel.

Anythoughts on where in the car this could be done? Stealth would be nice, but I don't see how that's possible.

Willing to sacrifice a rear seat to do this.

·
Super Moderator
11,095 Posts
Year and model of the RAV4 would help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never leave ANYTHING in your car that you don't want stolen. Just read the News. PS:They can always take the car.

I would suggest you get a (metal) locking briefcase and take it with you. Given enough time (I am talking minutes) a thief will be able to get almost anything out of a car or steal it.

So, if you do decide to get something for the car you might look at Gun Safe's for cars. Different sizes and securing options.

A GPS tracker (in the safe) would be a good option if it was ever stolen.

Good Luck
KenK

·
Super Moderator
11,095 Posts
Is securing such a safe in the cargo area and then hiding it under a cargo shade like my 2006 has a possibility? I certainly wouldn't remove a seat or make any visible modifications.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Most expensive medicine needs to be stored dry and at room temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Thieves are well informed and know the hidden compartments under the floor mats (do you?), and they know the typical gun safe in the center console, however a good center console safe is just too damned difficult to make it worth their time and they move on. Just be sure the bolt heads that extend to the underside of the vehicle are 'bumper bolt' types so they cannot easily get a hold of them.

Always be sure the original pharmacy labels are on your medicines.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
That would be a rather large safe and difficult to conceal. If visible, in a worst case scenario a thief/thieves could think that it contains expensive illegal drugs and could do quite a lot of damage attempting to access the contents or even trying to remove the entire safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm just looking for something so i can go on an extended driving vacation and leave the vehicle in a reasonsbly visibile public place without worrying that it can be broken into and my meds stolen in the time it takes to break a cheap bicycle lock.

obviously a sophisticated thief would be able to get anything off a car, but i just want something that looks like enough of a hassle they'll move onto the next thing, so if i stop for dinner or a hike at the Grand Canyon I won't be worried the entire time. also if i stop for car camping a safe in the car makes more sense than any leaving it in the tent the entire stay.

Taking it with me is an option but frankly I'm old and likely to get robbed as much as the car.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
There is no where except the cargo area that you can build something because unlike the Gen3 RAV4 there is no large hidden storage area. I would custom build a box the shape of the entire rear cargo that is something like 3 to 4 inch high and cover it with a cargo liner to make it appear part of the floor. Make it so it is lockable and removable if you need more space.

When a thief looks at the rear cargo area he may think there is nothing there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts