Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened to my 2012 RAV4 twice. I put my bags in my car and was talking to a coworker in the parking lot. After 1 minute the doors automatically locked with my keys inside. Had to get my fob from home.
Today, at the beach, I put my dog in the car, walked around and rinsed my feet. The doors automatically locked again, keys inside. Had to call 911 since my dog was locked inside.
When my keys are on me the door will unlock when I touch the handle. But when they’re inside the car it will not unlock.
Why are the doors locking automatically, whether or not the keys are inside or outside. Is this a glitch I need to see my Toyota guy for?

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is a feature on many cars and on some can be turned off usually through a setup menu or in some cases only by the dealer. A cheap solution is get a blank metal non-chipped key cut at hardware store; it will allow you to unlock the doors but will not start the car. I keep the key in my wallet for emergencies and it cost me $2 three years ago. I am not refering to some of the new keys that are cut on the side. My 2015 Rav4 has a regular automotive cut key.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 28K miles

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,772 Posts
This feature can be turned on or off using Techstream or your dealer can do it. The way my 2008 works is if I unlock the doors using the remote it will only re-lock the doors if I fail to open a door within 60 seconds. I ALWAYS keep the key in my pocket.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
This feature can be turned on or off using Techstream or your dealer can do it. The way my 2008 works is if I unlock the doors using the remote it will only re-lock the doors if I fail to open a door within 60 seconds. I ALWAYS keep the key in my pocket.
That's the way my 2010 works. Once I open any of the 5 doors, it will never lock on it's own.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Exactly the way my 2009 works, but how you can lock a FOB inside is a mystery to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts