Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a locker that will fit in the rav4 I live on a dirt that gets mudy in the winters a need a little more traction?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Has anyone found a locker that will fit in the rav4 I live on a dirt that gets mudy in the winters a need a little more traction?
Can I assume you mean a locking differential? I would think the AWD system would be able to handle that problem, no?
Assuming you have AWD of course.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Can I assume you mean a locking differential? I would think the AWD system would be able to handle that problem, no?
Assuming you have AWD of course.
Yeah, and good tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
If you've posted under the correct forum (4.3) the 4WD system uses the ABS on each wheel to effectively simulate an electric limited slip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Dr Dyno I was under the impression that 4 wheel drive button lock a center diff distributing the power between the front and rear but they were open diffs still virtually having 2wd just one in the front and one in the rear.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Have you ever been stuck on mud in your RAV. Have you ever driven a car/truck with lockers.

The traction control on our ravs is amazing. I doubt that it would ever get stuck in mud solely due to a spinning wheel. And in that case a limited slip would solve the issue and a locker would be quite an over kill. As is the traction control acts as an ABLS.

The 4x4x button on our RAV simple engages the 4wd, it does not lock the center diff.

To answer your original question I don't think that a lunch box type locker would be that difficult to install. To source might be another question. I can't seem to find one. I would think you would have more luck with a clutch pack type limited slip. Here is a LS for a supra but I can not seem to find one for the RAV. Not sure our LSC ZF4 rear diffs have the auto LSD system either.
Tomei T-TRAX ADVANCE LSD TB20 562027 2 Way Toyota Supra Soarer Aristo JZA80 2JZ | eBay

I recently installed a front locker in my truck. Though not super difficult it was very involved, and took several weeks including getting the right thickness shims for the release clearnace. However I never needed a locker in straight muddy situations, only in rock crawling situations.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the info Dr Dyno I was under the impression that 4 wheel drive button lock a center diff distributing the power between the front and rear but they were open diffs still virtually having 2wd just one in the front and one in the rear.
Read up on the rav's 4wd system as there is much more to it than you think. The 4 wheel lock button is virtually useless as you will find out. I can do donuts it my rav and in order to do that I need more than 1 front and 1 rear tire turning. The best thing you can do is get some tires with good bite to them. I use Hankook DynaPro ATM and have never had a traction issue.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lockers for rock crawling, otherwise not necessary. The intelligent awd works when you're moving. But from a standstill, you're out of luck.
If you're stuck in mud, you need tires spinning to whip off the mud from the tread.
Have you tried left foot braking?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts