Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my 2006 fuel door and/or cap with a key-locking style. Do you know of any and where to buy? The fuel door is pretty thin, and the locking mechanism is pretty much useless if someone really wants to pop it open. If fact, my current fuel door has trouble closing without popping back out. I've tried adjusting the metal clips that keep it locked/closed, but it's useless.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
If you're concerned about someone accessing your gas filler and/or gas tank it's easier to buy a locking fuel filler cap. There are a few models which will also continue to seal the system so that one doesn't get a dash warning light.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you're concerned about someone accessing your gas filler and/or gas tank it's easier to buy a locking fuel filler cap. There are a few models which will also continue to seal the system so that one doesn't get a dash warning light.
From a security perspective, those are a joke. They work by having the top part (that you grab with your hand) spin free of the bottom part which is what seals against the filler spout.

Push a small Phillips screwdriver through both (or even just the top) layers and you're in.

Heck, sometimes just squeeze the edges while you turn and you're in. (Channel Locks pliers makes it even easier)

Locking fuel doors tend to work better, but even those aren't often great.

The one advantage to a locking gas cap is that if someone wants your fuel badly enough they don't actually damage the vehicle to get to it, just the gas cap, which can be easily replaced.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
For that matter a locking fuel door lid would take an extra 3 seconds to jimmy open.

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
From a security perspective, those are a joke. They work by having the top part (that you grab with your hand) spin free of the bottom part which is what seals against the filler spout.

Push a small Phillips screwdriver through both (or even just the top) layers and you're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjr1b8P7eU

Heck, sometimes just squeeze the edges while you turn and you're in. (Channel Locks pliers makes it even easier)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjQ5YIvzeKw

Locking fuel doors tend to work better, but even those aren't often great.

The one advantage to a locking gas cap is that if someone wants your fuel badly enough they don't actually damage the vehicle to get to it, just the gas cap, which can be easily replaced.

I tested all of the above supposed security flaws on a locking Stant gas cap which I'm not currently using. Even the smallest Phillips screwdriver I have (jeweler's) would not go through the locking mechanism. The smallest slot screwdriver does go through but doesn't engage anything. The sliding collar is heavy steel and would not compress with any normal/usual vise grip, channel lock or other plier. Compressing the plastic cap cover accomplishes nothing. Conclusion - videos notwithstanding, this locking gas cap presents enough of a challenge to deter almost any potential thief.

Yep - locking filler doors have been used on some vehicles and I recall that one co-worker's was jimmied apparently with some sort of bar, doing a lot of damage. Destroyed the door, broke the lock catch, and made a deep dent in his fender. And the thief got most of his gasoline.

Reactions: DVS

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Blogson, can you post the model number of the Stant cap or maybe a link?

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Blogson, can you post the model number of the Stant cap or maybe a link?

I'm not absolutely certain since things have been a bit mixed up after three house moves, but I believe that it is model number 11595. I have not used this cap on my RAV but in a trial it fits the filler and I can close the filler door by removing the OEM cap from its holder.

I also have a smaller Stant locking cap which also fits my RAV's filler, model number 11591, but it isn't nearly as substantially made.

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I tested all of the above supposed security flaws on a locking Stant gas cap which I'm not currently using. Even the smallest Phillips screwdriver I have (jeweler's) would not go through the locking mechanism. The smallest slot screwdriver does go through but doesn't engage anything. The sliding collar is heavy steel and would not compress with any normal/usual vise grip, channel lock or other plier. Compressing the plastic cap cover accomplishes nothing. Conclusion - videos notwithstanding, this locking gas cap presents enough of a challenge to deter almost any potential thief.
A determined thief out to steal gasoline would likely carry a cordless drill with them for this purpose, drill a hole through one or both layers and then use a bigger screwdriver (or other rod) to get in.

However, a casual thief would probably not have a cordless drill with them.

Obviously some locking gas caps are made better/stronger than others. Good to know about the tougher versions of those gas caps, however.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
A determined thief out to steal gasoline would likely carry a cordless drill with them for this purpose, drill a hole through one or both layers and then use a bigger screwdriver (or other rod) to get in.

However, a casual thief would probably not have a cordless drill with them.

Obviously some locking gas caps are made better/stronger than others. Good to know about the tougher versions of those gas caps, however.

I've read a few reports about gas thieves foregoing having to deal with locking gas caps, etc. and unscrewing the drain plug from the underside of the gas tank or even punching a hole in the tank.

One would wonder about the possibility of a thief drilling through a gas cap, causing a spark, and the resulting "surprise" they would have! :wink

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've read a few reports about gas thieves foregoing having to deal with locking gas caps, etc. and unscrewing the drain plug from the underside of the gas tank or even punching a hole in the tank.

One would wonder about the possibility of a thief drilling through a gas cap, causing a spark, and the resulting "surprise" they would have! :wink
LOL! I think drain plugs are loooooooooong gone from fuel tanks!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts

No drain plugs, but they will absolutely not hesitate to punch the bottom of the tank.
Sometimes they get even more creative.
One guy on Tacomaworld kept getting an evap code and complained that his gas mileage had taken a dump. We all figured that he had a problem with the evap system, but couldn't figure out why his fuel economy was worse than a Suburban.

After a couple of weeks, he found that someone had punched his tank near the bottom with a hose nipple and had tucked a hose into his fender. They would steal a few gallons every few nights, but not drain the tank completely or leave a lot of fuel on the ground. He discovered it when they were apparently scared away and left the hose hanging (which of course, drained the tank)

Crazy.

The cap is plastic, so there would be no spark drilling it... even the spark from the drill's motor would not pose a hazard driling into a closed cap.
Locking caps? I've had problems on a number of vehicles with Stant locking caps throwing EVAP codes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think those gas caps are pretty much all plastic, so I doubt there would be any sparks.

Using a drill seems a common recommendation for getting the cap off when you've legitimately lost your key, so the risks are probably extremely low.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Thieves draining gas from gas tanks by removing drain plugs generally was with 1970s - 1980s vehicles, now there have been a few reports of thieves punching holes in tanks to drain fuel. Recall a few when living in SoCal.

Both Stant locking gas caps I have contain steel collars which would need to be drilled through to remove the cap, for example if there is a lost key or there is a problem with the key or lock. Could possibly create a spark, but my prior comment about creating a spark basically was humor. :)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Man, I'm not liking what I'm reading. haha. Too bad there isn't an aftermarket heavy duty fuel door.
It's the classic situation... Locks only keep the honest person out.
Any kind of a lock, from a fairly secure cap to a flimsy door, it going to make your vehicle a harder target than the one next to it with a manual door and a non-locking cap. The criminal will always go for the easy target.

If it LOOKS secure, they'll move on.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
I'm not absolutely certain since things have been a bit mixed up after three house moves, but I believe that it is model number 11595. I have not used this cap on my RAV but in a trial it fits the filler and I can close the filler door by removing the OEM cap from its holder.

I also have a smaller Stant locking cap which also fits my RAV's filler, model number 11591, but it isn't nearly as substantially made.
According to Amazon, the 11595 does NOT fit my 2008 RAV4. They show that the Stant 10504 is compatible. From the picture they look identical on the outside, and the 10504 is almost half the price.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
According to Amazon, the 11595 does NOT fit my 2008 RAV4. They show that the Stant 10504 is compatible. From the picture they look identical on the outside, and the 10504 is almost half the price.
I bought the Stant locking caps I have at Walmart and Fred Meyer. There wasn't a compatibility list in either store. I had sealed the fillers on my vehicles and taken the stock caps into the stores for comparison. The 11591 was for a Honda CR-V, the 11595 was for my RAV. Holding both of the Stant caps end-to-end in turn with the OEM filler cap on my RAV both of the Stant caps are exactly the same inner diameter and filler seal diameter as my OEM RAV filler cap. The 11595 is a stronger cap with a full steel inner collar while the 11591 cap has a flat steel inner collar which is not nearly as substantial. I can close the filler door on my RAV with either Stant cap installed, but because it is somewhat larger I could see that if the filler door on another RAV could be slightly different that might cause difficulty if using 11595, hence the Amazon situation. But I suspect that filler doors on gen 3 RAVs are all likely the same. Maybe you could check on that. I'm sorry that I don't have a 10504 Stant for size and fit comparison.

I don't use a locking cap now on my RAV because it now is kept in our garage all the time and this is a low crime area, also Oregon doesn't allow self-fueling and having to give the key to a service station attendant who may or may not know what they are doing can cause problems.

Reactions: DVS and JuneBug

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
I just checked at the Stant web site and 10504 is indeed the model they show for my RAV4.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
I just checked at the Stant web site and 10504 is indeed the model they show for my RAV4.

Of course given that info if you wish to buy a Stant cap you can't go wrong with the Stant 10504. But from experience I've swapped Stant caps from make and model from Subaru to Hundai to Honda to Toyota and they all work on all of the above regardless of model number, the only issue being clearance with the fuel filler door. I think that any locking gas filler cap which works would be a theft deterrent and also a deterrent from a malcontent dumping sugar or other foreign substance into a gas tank, as happened to another co-worker when an employee he got fired did grudge revenge. Good thing that he didn't go "postal"!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
The only thing I would worry about using a non-recommended cap would be the possibility of emissions related codes and a CEL popping up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts