Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know much about these, saw them listed as an extra frill, and considered the rise in crime where I live. I had the spare tire (external) stolen off my Honda CRV while parked right in front of my house a couple years ago, so that got me thinking about how much it would suck to head out the door to work one day to fine my shiny new RAV4 up on blocks... I bet the wheels look fancy and attractive to crack-head scumbags around here.

What should one know about locking wheel nuts? I assume they come with some sort of key. If you are hundreds of miles from home with a flat, and you neglected to bring along your lugnut key, are you SOL? If not, do they really deter thieves? Is this just a useless, gold-plated accessory for people with more money than sense, or a good way to protect critical but easily-stolen bits of your car?

Thanks for any guidance/opinions.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
They aren't much of a deterent to someone intent on stealing wheels/tires, easily defeated by most anyone with the right tools. They add a level of inconvenience for a would-be thief, I've always kept the "key" with the lug wrench in the back of the locked vehicle, and always try to remember to leave it in a cup holder for service to use when they rotate the tires every 5k miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts