Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those have LoJack installed by the dealership.

How do you know it is on? working? enabled?

When I purchased my 2016 Rav4 SE, LoJack was already installed. I know they gave me some paper work that looked more like promotional ads than anything else. It has been a year since I purchased my Rav4 and I don't know of any way to know if LoJack is working or enabled. I went to Lojack's website to try to create an account but it asks for "LoJack Unit label number" which I have no clue where to get.

Maybe I got something from the dealership and didn't know.
I know they did not tell me I had to do anything specific for LoJack.

I will try to contact Toyota themselves. Maybe they can get me this information...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That's a good question.

According to LoJack's web site....

Is my LoJack System always "on"?
Your LoJack® Stolen Vehicle Recovery System is always in receiving mode, ready to be activated by a silent signal from law enforcement computers. Please refer to the Recommended and Required Maintenance Sections in the Owner's Manual for more information.

How do I know if my LoJack System is working?
Your LoJack® Unit is tested and certified at the time of installation. We then recommend an inspection of your LoJack® System every two years. Inspections cost $99* and can be arranged by calling 1-800-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225). Please refer to the Recommended and Required Maintenance Sections in the Owner's Manual for more information.

So it sounds like you just have to have faith. You also have to pay $99 every two years for them to test your system.And if the system is failed months before your RAV is stolen, you will not have a clue.

It sounds like subscribing to services like On-Star, Honda-Link, etc, might be a better option. Aside from locating your vehicle when stolen, they also notify emergency services when you are involved in an accident, and allow your doors to be unlocked remotely when the keys are locked inside. My Acura-Link system also lets me check my tires pressures, fuel level, lights status, locks status, and send new GPS way-points to my NAV system.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
We got paperwork with all that info with ours, the dealer is supposed to give it to you. Have you replaced the battery in the Lojack monitor(key fob transmitter)? Supposed to be changed every 6 months. Drive the car without the monitor and you'll find out soon enough if it's working! :D

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
It sounds like subscribing to services like On-Star, Honda-Link, etc, might be a better option. Aside from locating your vehicle when stolen, they also notify emergency services when you are involved in an accident, and allow your doors to be unlocked remotely when the keys are locked inside. My Acura-Link system also lets me check my tires pressures, fuel level, lights status, locks status, and send new GPS way-points to my NAV system.
Toyota has their own system called Safety Connect, but the annual fee is $139.90:

Toyota Safety Connect | Roadside Assistance, Collision Notification & More!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got paperwork with all that info with ours, the dealer is supposed to give it to you. Have you replaced the battery in the Lojack monitor(key fob transmitter)? Supposed to be changed every 6 months. Drive the car without the monitor and you'll find out soon enough if it's working! :D
I do not remember getting any paperwork and I know for sure I didn't get a key fob for LoJack. Maybe it is a good thing I didn't pay for it. It was already installed in the car and I told them to remove it and take the price of the car. They ended up just taking the price off the car but left it in because it would be more work for them to remove it. Maybe because of that they didn't bother giving me all the paperwork for LoJack.

I will need to find my invoice because I am fairly sure LoJack is still listed as an installed item.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The early warning monitor is a small key fob that has to be with the vehicle when ever it's driven, if the vehicle is moved without the monitor the Lojack system automatically sends you a text, phone call or email that the vehicle has been moved. Your dealer prolly didn't activate it, so you would not have received any paperwork even tho the hardware was installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was installed in my car too, but they tried bundling it with the extended warranty, I refused all that extra stuff but when I went through my paperwork the lojack info was still with it. I didn't get a key fob tho, and I was able to register the unit on their site. We will see if they contact me for a test like it said they would when I registered the system.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked my sales contract and it does say I have LoJack ($595) and Tracker ($189) installed. Not sure why a car would need 2 tracking systems, but oh well. I know they left the line item in there but they took $600 off the sale price of the actual car (I confirmed this before signing). But by the way the sales contract is written it looks like I bought LoJack. It is my guess since I told the dealership I didn’t want it/remove it they just didn’t activate it or give me the items for it.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Homer, why don't you call 1-(800)-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225) and give them the information on your system. Maybe they will activate it and give you a free year of service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Homer, why don't you call 1-(800)-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225) and give them the information on your system. Maybe they will activate it and give you a free year of service.
I would but I have no information on my system. Dealership gave me nothing. I tried to register but they are asking for the LoJack Unit label number.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The early warning key fob is an option over the basic LoJack package. I think dealers often install the basic systems to protect their inventory. LoJack wasn't mentioned or brought up at all when I bought my 2013 Mustang, but I discovered a strange component when installing new stereo speakers. Some Googling revealed it was a LoJack device. I contacted LoJack to see if the system was active and all they needed was my VIN which goes into LoJack's data base when they do an installation. They sent me all the registration materials and put the system into my name. I should probably have it checked for $99 but I just haven't gotten 'round to it. Since I know where it is now, I should probably drop in a set of new batteries though. Just uses regular AAs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will contact LoJack with my VIN and see if they can activate it or get me the info so I can register it.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The early warning monitor is a small key fob that has to be with the vehicle when ever it's driven, if the vehicle is moved without the monitor the Lojack system automatically sends you a text, phone call or email that the vehicle has been moved. Your dealer prolly didn't activate it, so you would not have received any paperwork even tho the hardware was installed.
I had the monitor on my Tacoma (shaved 1% off of the interest rate)
It was a pain.

The battery only lasted 6 months, it was yet another fob in my pocket, and the thing was very shock-sensitive.
In the 4 years I owned that truck I went through three $80 fobs because they would either flat out quit working or would lose range... in my left pocket the thing would trigger, in my right pocket it would not (I keep a separate small keyring in my watch pocket for my door key and the two ignition keys I use so I don't have keys banging off the dash).

The thing does NOT trigger right away so it is not a replacement for a paging alarm system (yet another fob in your pocket). The vehicle has to be moved a minimum of 5 miles or continuous movement for 15 minutes. It then makes a robo-call, email, and text to the assigned numbers... so if someone steals your car, you won't know until they are at least 5 miles away. It won't trigger from being moved around the dealer shop when you take it in for service unless they take an extended test drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got off the phone with LoJack. They had my VIN in their system as well as my name and address. The dealership must have sent that info to them when I bought my Rav4. LoJack is sending me all the paperwork I need through the mail. Looks like I got free LoJack after all.

Lady on the phone said I have the "basic" system and it doesn't come with a fob.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I had the monitor on my Tacoma (shaved 1% off of the interest rate)
in my left pocket the thing would trigger, in my right pocket it would not (I keep a separate small keyring in my watch pocket for my door key and the two ignition keys I use so I don't have keys banging off the dash).
A non-issue with the smartkey system, no keys hanging from the ignition, my wife has had no issues with hers on the '15 Prius.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
A non-issue with the smartkey system, no keys hanging from the ignition, my wife has had no issues with hers on the '15 Prius.
Ya... After buying my wife's Rav XLE, I made sure to get the smartkey option on my Corolla.
It was bad enough having multiple fobs, but now that Toyota has incorporated the remote into a key that makes you feel like you're carrying a gas station restroom key, the smartkey was a must-have for the Corolla.

That spoiled me so I bought a Kevo for the house too :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts