Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A FUN thread:
So what's it worth, once a costly & major repair is necessary ??
Owner never sent me pictures or his phone #, so I guess he didn't like my value proposition.

So how would others, evaluate their used vehicle pr purchase ??
- if broken down & very costly to fix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From original owner:

Here are the 2005 RAV4 details and I'll get you some pictures when I can.
- 4x4 AWL
- 188,000 Kms = 117.xxx miles
- forest green
- well maintained (well... except for the below)
- sadly, the engine went and 2/4 cylinders (I think #2 and #3) are leaking coolant out of them. I've been told that this can be fixed by a skilled mechanic who can work to fix the head gasket and machine it but to pay to have it done would be $2100-2700. An engine could be found at an auto wreckers and replaced but that cost would be similar if that particular engine could be found and put in
- better than average rust protection but I bought that package with the box that beeps back in 2008. Not sure if that warranty is transferable but it looks good
- I think the cost of the vehicle in good working condition would be 6,800-7,200 Cdn. but I'd be happy if I could half that considering.

Let me know if you need pictures.
Thanks so much for the inquiry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply:

I have a mint 2000 4Runner and the radiator cools both the engine & the transmission...I am aware of some Toyota quirks.

FYI - when the coolant leaks into the engine, it tends to deplete the engine oil and starves the crank shaft bearings of lubrication
- this is called the "milkshake problem" when coolant mixes with the transmission oil...next to go is the transmission, its oil gets contaminated
- plus a head gasket if not detected early enough, the engine can overheat...and wreck the pistons & head

While a head gasket fix sounds easy enough, if one throws enough $$ at a skilled mechanic...their are more unknowns, than meets the trained eye here, possibly ending in a money pit. One could throw $2,700 into repairs to start, only to pinpoint the next expensive problem. Your broken RAV4 as it sits, is not worth anywhere near 1/2 of retail value, sorry to say.
- I don't want to mislead you

If you want to text me a few photos, please do. I may be only interested if cheap enough, & not a Kijiji time waster.
And if your looking for another ride, let me know your model preference and budget. I can keep an eye open, with my contacts.

Cheers

·
Registered
272 Posts
The mileage is normal for that year, and assuming it has normal wear and tear you'd have to subtract the price of a mechanic to repair the vehicle from the fair price which would leave about $3000 US. But unless you actually drove the thing and verified the tranny, brakes, drive train, etc. were in good working order you'd have to subtract even more. So if the guy gets $3000 for it, he should be very happy. Even if he got $2500 he would be doing good. If I were interested in this vehicle the most I'd offer is $2000, and that assumes the head repair is all it needs, other than possible wear and tear things like brake pads, windshield wipers, yadda yadda. Body damage, an obvious POS vehicle that has been neglected I wouldn't pay half that. Maybe $500 or 600 if I made an offer at all.
People are funny, they always want others to bail them out and pay for their mistakes.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
We got $4500usd in trade for my wife's '04 with about 150k on it with a solid engine (but a weeping water pump)

·
Registered
272 Posts
the key words there are "in trade"
what you get in trade doesn't reflect the true value because you may have simply paid more (or less) for the car you bought

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
the key words there are "in trade"
what you get in trade doesn't reflect the true value because you may have simply paid more (or less) for the car you bought
Got a buy-out quote from Carmax and took that quote to Toyota.
They were offering $3500 less but agreed to $4500 when my wife got up and asked for her keys and registration back.

Nothing else on the paperwork was changed after the $1000 adjustment to the trade value. The finance guy hammered us hard on the security system (Karr) Lojack, and the extended warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When negotiating your price on a new or used car purchase, you never tell them you have a trade. Get your best price and then tell them you have trade, or better yet sell it yourself, u will usually come out better.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thks all that contributed...my gut feel is the motor damaged 2005 RAV4, is worth $2,000 as is.

When negotiating your price on a new or used car purchase, you never tell them you have a trade. Get your best price and then tell them you have trade, or better yet sell it yourself, u will usually come out better.
^^ Exactly...real good advice.

1.5 years ago, our son needed a luxury work vehicle for meeting clients.
- he had a 2008 Nissan Rouge SE (FWD) to replace
- we negotiated a new 2015 Lexus RX350...the same week the 2016 models hit showroom floors
- the Nissan trade-in was probably worth $2,500 but we said no to the trade-in
- so I detailed the Nissan, had a few small mechanical issues repaired & sold privately
- sold used vehicle in 7 weeks time, off my front lawn...reaping 3x more $$ = $5,000 extra profit
- the new Lexus was purchased, at 13.3% off MSRP...timed the deal perfectly

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Absolutely.
In our case, they knew we had the trade going into negotiations, but they did not know that we had the Carmax quote, which was pretty much in line with KBB.

Personally, I don't have the time, or the place to park at my condo to try to sell a vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts