Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up sons 2020 hybrid, Costco deal on incoming XSE. Most pleasant experience we’ve had in years. Extended
service contract pitch was interesting, as they always are. Whats everyones opinion on there need on a hybrid? Never
bought one on any of our other Nissans or Lexus and never needed them. This is our first HEV, any need for one now?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am waiting until just under the 3 year/36000 mile mark to decide to buy a genuine Toyota extended warranty from one of the dealers mentioned here who offer them way cheaper than most. If I do not have any issues up until that point, I will not buy the warranty. Like you, I have not had any issues with Toyotas in the past during their lifespan except for an oil burner where I just missed the timespan for a free engine overhaul. I have owned 3 Toyotas over 25 years.

As far as a Toyota hybrid, most of the technology is proven in the 2019-20 Rav4. The gas engine part of the system is the only thing that is a new design that came out with the 2018 Camry gas and hybrid. So far there are no major issues reported with the engine. In addition, the 2020 hybrid battery warranty has been extended to something like 10 years or 150000 miles in the U.S.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hard to beat the existing hybrid component warranty. I bought a Toyota so I don’t have to worry about extending the warranty tbh.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As far as a Toyota hybrid, most of the technology is proven in the 2019-20 Rav4. The gas engine part of the system is the only thing that is a new design that came out with the 2018 Camry gas and hybrid. So far there are no major issues reported with the engine. In addition, the 2020 hybrid battery warranty has been extended to something like 10 years or 150000 miles in the U.S.
We just bought a 2020 Camry Hybrid LE and did not buy the extended (I have yet to buy one) for the reasons above. People say it gives them a peace of mind but to me (IMHO) it is just a waste of money. The hybrid battery warranty is a good one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer's initial offer on the extend warranty was over $6000 for bumper to bumper to 100k miles (it included paintless dent removal for door dings)!! I told the F&I guy that price is ridiculous and that I would self-insure at that price. A few minutes later he said $1500 without the PDR. I told him I would think about that up until the factory warranty was over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were offered 10/100 platinum for $1950.00. His last pitch was that Toyotas just are not what they use to be.😳

·
Registered
416 Posts
We were offered 10/100 platinum for $1950.00. His last pitch was that Toyotas just are not what they use to be.😳
I think I paid around 1200 for 8yr, 125k for platinum. My finance lady was trying to sell me on how expensive it is to repair the electronic systems and told me about what the repair bill a recent customer would have had on the BSM system if it had failed outside of their warranty. Something crazy like 2k. I told her she was making me reconsider buying a new car w/ all the electronic crap. She just looked at me funny.

I ended up buying one b/c I plan on keeping this thing forever unless it somehow turns into a money pit, and I wanted extra piece of mind if something bad happened with the powertrain outside of the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just picked up sons 2020 hybrid, Costco deal on incoming XSE. Most pleasant experience we’ve had in years. Extended
service contract pitch was interesting, as they always are. Whats everyones opinion on there need on a hybrid? Never
bought one on any of our other Nissans or Lexus and never needed them. This is our first HEV, any need for one now?
How much did Costco actually save you on this purchase? I have a Costco membership, but didn't think to check with them. I bought it back in January and had a 2018 trade-in, not sure if that would have made a difference in getting a better deal though.
I think all said and done, my '19 cost me just over $30k out the door, but I only financed $18k. Since my loan was only $18k, I went ahead with it, but me paying $30k on a vehicle is nuts. I don't plan on spending that kind of money on a vehicle ever again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How much did Costco actually save you on this purchase? I have a Costco membership, but didn't think to check with them. I bought it back in January and had a 2018 trade-in, not sure if that would have made a difference in getting a better deal though.
I think all said and done, my '19 cost me just over $30k out the door, but I only financed $18k. Since my loan was only $18k, I went ahead with it, but me paying $30k on a vehicle is nuts. I don't plan on spending that kind of money on a vehicle ever again.
First off, the Costco program does not address dealer add-ons. So you are on your own if there are any. And dealers make big profits on add-ons, like 50% - 90%. ICYDK, dealers can make a bigger profit on a sale with more add-ons while giving you a bigger discount than with a car with no add-ons. It's a feel-good ruse. Don't get suckered. Secondly, one can always do much better than Costco negotiated pricing but you have to know what you're doing or be lucky. But if you are ok with spending an extra grand or two or more and not having to negotiate or spend extra time then go for it. Then your buying effort is over and you can move on without aggravating yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We were happy with the deal. Not one of the other 4 dealers we worked with would get anywhere close to what we ended with on the one we bought, 2020 XSE hyb.’We wanted a car with no add ons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If all the dealers in your area are adding-on equipment, which they often do, then it's difficult NOT to get screwed unless you are willing to go out of the area for a non-add-on car. And then getting an out-of-area costco deal may save you money. I had to call Costco to get out-of-town participating dealer names. I couldn't do it online. I don't think it's changed. IMO, dealers who add-on equipment before sale should all be [you fill in the blank].

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm in the 11th year of my Prius. It has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. There is an app called Dr. Prius/Dr. Hybrid that, combined with an OBDII bluetooth adapter (that plugs into the vehicles diagnostic port) that does a stress test on the hybrid battery and gives an estimate of the remaining battery capacity. At about the 10 year mark my battery showed 83%. Still on the original brake pads with plenty left. I have replace the 12v battery once. Other than that it has been oil changes and tires.
InkedLifeTest_LINE.jpg

The "eCVT" in a Toyota hybrid is much less complicated than a traditional transmission.

My opinion: Bottom line, extended warranties on Toyota hybrids buy peace of mind but are almost all profit for the dealer and warranty company. Put the money in a savings account for the repairs that you probably won't need and then use that in 10+ years to help buy your next vehicle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Interesting app. Is it free? How do you know its providing reliable information? We know the toyota engineers provide wildly inaccurate data like dte, mileage etc

·
Registered
371 Posts
The app is free and provides a lot of info but to do the battery life test costs a few bucks. The test is done by fully charging the battery, then running it down at a controlled rate (by running heat, a/c, lights etc) while the app monitors rate of discharge. It is indeed just an estimate but is a pretty good indicator that my battery is not about to die.

http://priusapp.com/

By the way, the January Consumers Reports, just out, lists the 10 most and least reliable models in their survey. 6 of the top 10 are Toyota/Lexus Models with the Prius Prime being 2nd and the regular Prius being 3rd. 3 of the 10 are Mazdas, 1 is a Hyundai, Mazda Miata is #1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
While their conclusions may have some merit I stopped relying on CR for reviews/rankings a long time ago. And I stopped subscribing to CR about 15 years ago. They've been Toyota fanboys for years. Have they ever admitted to getting it wrong? They should do an unbiased annual followup of their past reviews. Unlikely. And if they ever admitted to screwing up I suspect it was on a one-off basis every now and then as a PR stunt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
None of the other 4 Chicago land dealers we shopped would do better than $600 off list. On lot or incoming didn’t matter. Said the 2020 were selling without much help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts