Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have to leave my 16 Rav4 Hybrid unattended in my garage for a month and half, maybe longer. First time Hybrid owner, but figure this shouldn't be much different

Here is what I plan to do

1. Check the oil and fluid level. I don't really feel I need to change the oil for a 1.5 mo storage
2. Full the gas tank. Perhas add some stabilizer
3. Over-inflate the tire to 45psi. unfortunately my garage cannot fit in a jack stand
4. Thoroughly clean the car, in and out
5. Make sure the traction battery is close-to-full
6. Aux battery. Which would be better, just disconnect it, or hook up a battery tender?
7. lift up the wipers.
8. chock the tires
9. plug the exhaust pipe, leave a few mothballs inside the car, set HVAC in circulation
10. leave a note at the steering wheel what I have done.

Any thoughts, advice? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It's no different than any other car in this regard.
For a new-ish 12v battery, 2 months should be OK. For an older 12v battery a tender should be attached. The traction battery needs no special consideration.

Nothing else on your list is called for. Fuel stabilizer is only needed for extended storage in HOT temps. Like 6 months or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and I expect I'll often be leaving it unused for a couple months, so I asked the salesman that question. He said just unhook the aux battery. So it seems you would just treat it like a non-hybrid.

I did that about 8 times with my former Matrix. Never hooked it to a battery tender. Only once was the battery completely dead so it wouldn't start, and that was an old battery on its last legs anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and I expect I'll often be leaving it unused for a couple months, so I asked the salesman that question. He said just unhook the aux battery. So it seems you would just treat it like a non-hybrid.

I did that about 8 times with my former Matrix. Never hooked it to a battery tender. Only once was the battery completely dead so it wouldn't start, and that was an old battery on its last legs anyway.

Has he mentioned before how long you should do something else in addition to unhook the aux battery? At some point other problems should arise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's no different than any other car in this regard.
For a new-ish 12v battery, 2 months should be OK. For an older 12v battery a tender should be attached. The traction battery needs no special consideration.

Nothing else on your list is called for. Fuel stabilizer is only needed for extended storage in HOT temps. Like 6 months or more.

Thanks. I know I was being way too cautious, but just for peace of mind......

So about the traction battery, any source indicates how long would it take to discharge is leave alone? I guess in years?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks. I know I was being way too cautious, but just for peace of mind......

So about the traction battery, any source indicates how long would it take to discharge is leave alone? I guess in years?
I'd think years, yes. But it isn't really going to do any harm anyhow.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Personally, I'd skip the mothballs inside the car. Basically, if you can smell them you are inhaling insecticide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I'd skip the mothballs inside the car. Basically, if you can smell them you are inhaling insecticide.
Yes I am aware of that. However I am seeing signs of insects and rodents in my engine compartment even I am driving my Rav4 daily. There would be a ventilation step upon my return of course.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I will have to leave my 16 Rav4 Hybrid unattended in my garage for a month and half, maybe longer. First time Hybrid owner, but figure this shouldn't be much different

Here is what I plan to do

1. Check the oil and fluid level. I don't really feel I need to change the oil for a 1.5 mo storage
2. Full the gas tank. Perhas add some stabilizer
3. Over-inflate the tire to 45psi. unfortunately my garage cannot fit in a jack stand
4. Thoroughly clean the car, in and out
5. Make sure the traction battery is close-to-full
6. Aux battery. Which would be better, just disconnect it, or hook up a battery tender?
7. lift up the wipers.
8. chock the tires
9. plug the exhaust pipe, leave a few mothballs inside the car, set HVAC in circulation
10. leave a note at the steering wheel what I have done.

Any thoughts, advice? Thanks in advance
Just looked up and your post, also here's a copy on RAV4 World.
https://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2009/T-SB-0079-09.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use Irish Spring cake soap. I put several bars near all wiring in the engine compartment. Mice hate the smell. Dont use rodent poison because that will attract thhem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I park outside on the driveway. I had mice, rats, racoons and rabbit problems with my car. I hang peppermint oil baggies in the engine compartment and lay a bunch of plastic spiky mats around and under the car. The strong scent of peppermint freaks these animals out. They haven't showed up ever since. I won.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts