Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody, I have a 2015 RAV4 XLE with the standard key. The range on the remote to unlock and lock is sub standard. Previously my dad's 2006 4Runner remote could unlock and lock from like 2 blocks away. This time even 1 block and directly looking at the RAV the car won't even lock and unlock. Should I use the chin method? Is there any thing I could do to improve the range? Maybe perhaps use another key, I don't Know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
His must have had an aftermarket security or remote start system. They work from much longer distances than the stock keys. Often they have two-way feedback that lets you know if the car actually unlocked or started - much more capable than the stock ones who's sole purpose is to let you unlock when you're near the car w/o having to use the metal key.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His must have had an aftermarket security or remote start system. They work from much longer distances than the stock keys. Often they have two-way feedback that lets you know if the car actually unlocked or started - much more capable than the stock ones who's sole purpose is to let you unlock when you're near the car w/o having to use the metal key.

My father had the oem 4Runner key. He bought the 4Runner brand new from a Toyota dealer

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
OK this is probably a dumb question, and that is why I have been holding myself back in asking it, but I just have to know the answer.

Why do you want to unlock your doors from blocks away (which I assume is beyond your view of the car).

I can't count how many times I have squatted down to pick up something (with the fob in my pocket) and unlocked the doors. If I could unlock my doors from blocks away, it would only cause the problem to occur more frequently.

As you know, the recent vehicles with smart keys can be opened by just placing your hand near the handle. Even though these vehicles also have the ability to unlock the doors from a greater distance using the fob, I don't think I have ever seen anyone bother taking the key out of their pocket to unlock the door at a distance any more. There just doesn't seem to be a reason which is why I ask this question.

Most recent cars also have the ability to unlock the car from anywhere in the world using a smart phone app. I can see that this would be useful if you misplaced your keys. But once again, the ability to unlock the doors from blocks away is not a real need if you have lost your keys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
OK this is probably a dumb question, and that is why I have been holding myself back in asking it, but I just have to know the answer.

Why do you want to unlock your doors from blocks away (which I assume is beyond your view of the car).

I can't count how many times I have squatted down to pick up something (with the fob in my pocket) and unlocked the doors. If I could unlock my doors from blocks away, it would only cause the problem to occur more frequently.

As you know, the recent vehicles with smart keys can be opened by just placing your hand near the handle. Even though these vehicles also have the ability to unlock the doors from a greater distance using the fob, I don't think I have ever seen anyone bother taking the key out of their pocket to unlock the door at a distance any more. There just doesn't seem to be a reason which is why I ask this question.

Most recent cars also have the ability to unlock the car from anywhere in the world using a smart phone app. I can see that this would be useful if you misplaced your keys. But once again, the ability to unlock the doors from blocks away is not a real need if you have lost your keys.
Valid point,

Especially since the doors will "re-lock" before you could even make it to the car.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Especially since the doors will "re-lock" before you could even make it to the car.
Well I suppose that is also considered a good feature for those times that you unknowingly unlock the doors with the fob still in your pocket.

I suppose one valid reason for having a longer range would be for the purpose of setting off the panic alarm so that you could find the vehicle in a large parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Well I suppose that is also considered a good feature for those times that you unknowingly unlock the doors with the fob still in your pocket.

I suppose one valid reason for having a longer range would be for the purpose of setting off the panic alarm so that you could find the vehicle in a large parking lot.
When I'm traveling with my dyno rig the FOB for my truck stays in my pocket (and the key stays in the ignition). I just hit one of the buttons until it unlocks while I'm walking up to the door. Looking at the FOB is no help since the labels a worn off.

Don't use the panic to find it in a parking lot since with the camper it's usually the highest vehicle. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't have to be super long but just further then it is now. Sometimes I'm unsure if I've locked my car or not,annoying to walk back say if I'm in a rush

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It doesn't have to be super long but just further then it is now. Sometimes I'm unsure if I've locked my car or not,annoying to walk back say if I'm in a rush
It's funny, when I had a RAV4 and locked the keys using the fob, I often had doubts like yourself if I had locked the door or not.

After getting a vehicle with a smart key, and never wanting to remove the key from my pocket, I am now in the habit of locking the doors with the button on the outside of the door each time I leave the vehicle. Surprisingly I rarely have that uncertainty any more. I guess it helps to get into a routine of always locking the door immediately from the same position. It's kinda like forgetting were you left your keys if you put them down somewhere different every time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's funny, when I had a RAV4 and locked the keys using the fob, I often had doubts like yourself if I had locked the door or not.

After getting a vehicle with a smart key, and never wanting to remove the key from my pocket, I am now in the habit of locking the doors with the button on the outside of the door each time I leave the vehicle. Surprisingly I rarely have that uncertainty any more. I guess it helps to get into a routine of always locking the door immediately from the same position. It's kinda like forgetting were you left your keys if you put them down somewhere different every time.
Very true. That's my feeling as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts