Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a '07 online and have been told by the owner that there is some rust on the wheels (it's an east coast car). My mechanic tells me that I should avoid that car since if there is rust on the wheels, there's most likely rust on the body too. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That is a base model and many people have mentioned rusty wheels on the base...no big deal...just sand them down and repaint them...I would not let that stop me if everything checks out OK...

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Where on the east coast? It's pretty big!
I rejected an online one for corrosion on the wheels because it was from the Buffalo area. It was an '06 in 2010 so I was as suspicious as your mechanic.

Bought ours in Melbourne, FL - on the east coast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks. Here's the car. As you can see in the picture, there is some rust on the wheels along with some front end damage.

I'd be buying the car as in so would need to get the front end repaired. Anyone have an estimate of what that might cost?

At this point, I'm thinking maybe I should keep on looking...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
If it's a four cylinder then walk away. Many burn oil beyond belief. I agree......keep on looking. You can do better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a four cylinder then walk away. Many burn oil beyond belief. I agree......keep on looking. You can do better.
really?!? I was actually only looking at 4 cylinders since they are more popular. My main concern was that I wanted something with 4WD so that I am able to drive out in the snow to go skiing.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
really?!? I was actually only looking at 4 cylinders since they are more popular. My main concern was that I wanted something with 4WD so that I am able to drive out in the snow to go skiing.
If you are only interested in the 4 cyl. engine then go with a 2009 or later. The 2006-2008 I4 is a known oil burner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, JuneBug. I've been reading on the forums for the past week learning as much as I can about these cars. I'm actually on the market and looking at Gen 2 or Gen 3. I like the 4.2 because 1) back seats are removable for flexibility and 2) 4WD. I like the 4.3 because 1) back seats fold flat which is a better design and 2) better gas mileage w/o the full time 4WD.

If you have any tips while looking at the 4.2 and 4.3s (such as skip 06-08 because burns oil), that would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2004 and 2005 4.2s had the same oil-burning 2.4L engine.

The 2001 - 2003 4.2's had a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine that I think I heard was somewhat underpowered (but not an oil guzzler like the 2.4L).

I'm also pretty sure the 4.2s had less ground clearance, if going out in the snow is important to you. They had 6.3" vs. 7.5" in the 4.3's.

The 4.3's also have noticeably more cargo room (especially if you include the underfloor storage bins), if that's important.

DO NOT TEST DRIVE THE 4.3 V6.

Because you'll never look back. :thumbs_up:

Seriously the MPG penalty isn't all that bad. Just note that I believe the 2006-2007 V6's were known to have coil pack and water pump issues (likely fixed in whatever you'd look at by now) and through the '08 year [I think] there was an oil hose issue where a rubber portion could burst, later replaced by an all-metal version. You'd want to make sure that's been fixed.

The other V6 thing is to listen for a whine in the transmission between about 35 - 50 MPH, I think. (Hasn't happened in mine, knock wood, articles about that abound)

If towing is at all important, the V6 is likely the way to go, especially one with the Tow Prep package, which ups the towing capacity from 1500 lbs in the 4-cylinder to 3500 lbs in the V6 TowPrep. That capacity is for the weight of the cargo *and* the trailer.

Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips! I think for my price range, I'll look at the 2001-2003 rav4s then.

W.R.T. oil consumption, what I've been reading is that it consumes about 1 quart every 3k miles. My 5 series consumes about a quart every 5k miles. I don't mind adding in oil to the engine if that's the only issue. Kind of got use to it :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Others here would know better, but I think some 2.4Ls are burning about a quart every 1100 miles or so, so it could be significantly worse than a quart every 3K miles.

Though some have said their 2.4L doesn't burn any oil at all (or hardly any).

The point is: unless the engine has been fixed (rebuilt) e.g. under warranty, getting a RAV4 with a 2.4L engine will be a crap shoot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Rav 4 is a Dec .2006 2-4 model. i tow a caravan and have it serviced every
10,000 klm ( 121,000 klm ) qn the clock and i dont put more than a pint of oil
between services. good luck on finding your new Rav4

·
Registered
419 Posts
Six months ago, I scored a cream puff of a 2008 RAV4 Limited, v6, 5 speed auto 4x4 - with 89,xxx Km / or 55,000 miles - Canadian Limited v6's have tow package coolers, bigger alternator & better radiator included, without the tow hitch installed.
All because the winter steel wheels, looked like crap with rust - a earlier buyers, just walked away when he spotted these wheels.
- added bonus, I got $1,000 worth of Michelin snow tires to have mounted on the original 17" Limited alloy rims

I crawled under the car in the pouring rain, and the floor pan's and the entire unibody underneath was rust free.
- the previous owner (a Doctor) had made no attempt to stage the SUV, to get premium $$

So I ditched the heavly corroded steel wheels, in favor of some 2013 4Runner 17x7.5" rims / for Spring-Summer-Fall driving.

The RAV4 I bought, was not reflective condition wise / compared to the steel wheels.
- I often like small fender benders or vehicles with crappy rims

I swear, these Toyota steelies can almost corrode by looking at them...LOL.
- factory must be using some dirty steel & cheap primers
It sure can lower the purchase price, finding a diamond in the rough.
- the Dr. probably got the steel wheels from the original owner / winter road salt, after 7 years driving can be bad on painted steel rims

Bo0osted - 4Cylinder vs v6 - 4 cyl. is a 4 speed auto while the v6 is a 5 speed.
- I read the v6 gets 1 mpg better / we wouldn't have anything else

·
Registered
403 Posts
I wouldn't buy a vehicle with front end damage. There could be serious damage that is not readily seen and you're just asking for trouble especially if the terms of the sale are "as is".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I'm currently now looking at a 07 V6 4WD that's close to 100k miles. I do notice that owners are often asking for prices which are much that what my research shows on KBB and Edmunds. Is this common for RAV4s? For example, this owner wants 10k for the car while KBB lists as 8.3-8.6k while Edmunds lists as 7.8k

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I do notice that owners are often asking for prices which are much that what my research shows on KBB and Edmunds. Is this common for RAV4s? For example, this owner wants 10k for the car while KBB lists as 8.3-8.6k while Edmunds lists as 7.8k
It's common for ALL cars! They know they won't get more than they ask but you don't know how negotiable their price is until you show up with the cash or a substantial deposit and an "I'm either buying this or another one today" attitude.

The other thing it takes is patience. When I bought our used Odyssey last year I saw '02-04s advertised for $3000-$4500+ whereas I wanted to pay $2500 or less. After a few weeks I found one at $1800 and got it for $1700 by being the first one there with cash. Between ours, and one for my niece and BIL we bought three for $6000. $1700, $1900 + $2400.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just want to chime in and say do not let rusty rims turn you away from a vehicle ever. Chances are they are cheap steelies which ALL rust in any snowy environment. Now if the body/frame is rusty well then that's a different story.

I also want to mention that my 06 that is in its 10th Ontario (Canadian) winter where the roads are heavily salted and has never been oil sprayed and has 279,000 kms STILL does not have any rust on the wheel wells, which in my opinion are one of the most common places to rust.

Even better, the underbody is 90% rust free including the brake and fuel lines.

I am getting a little bit of rust on the driver side rocker guard from constantly hitting my feet on all these years and on the passenger read door rocker.

I'm shocked at how well the body and frame on my RAV4 is.

My 04 Grand Prix, 02 Corolla, and 02 Dakota didn't look this good at half that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts