Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a car to take up to Flagstaff of Tucson for skiing. I have plans to go just about every other week and during the brake every week. I came across this car for sale near me www.reedmotorsonline.com/2001_Toyota_RAV4_Phoenix_AZ_269861671.veh
Wondering what you guys think and anything I should look at before buying. I will probably take it to a Toyota dealer for an inspection but before I pay to do that I would like to know of any issues that would make me run away from it.

Also how good are these cars in snow? Down in Phoenix, we don't get much but Flagstaff gets dumped.

·
Registered
114 Posts
First, check it's VIN number through research.com for any accidents, etc. Call your local Toyota dealer, give then the VIN and all then if all of the required recalls were performed on this car. Last, scan the car with good scanner with live data, check fuel trims, see you it would pass the emission test right now. Known problems are: oxygen sensors, ECM software foulty, valve body problems so make sure to test drive it upheel, in reverse, etc. Good cars otherwise

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, check it's VIN number through research.com for any accidents, etc. Call your local Toyota dealer, give then the VIN and all then if all of the required recalls were performed on this car. Last, scan the car with good scanner with live data, check fuel trims, see you it would pass the emission test right now. Known problems are: oxygen sensors, ECM software foulty, valve body problems so make sure to test drive it upheel, in reverse, etc. Good cars otherwise

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yep already did that :) No accidents, however, damage to the rear was reported. I will check the frame to see if its bent in the rear, however, damage was not caused by another car.

Reserch.com Report: www(DOT)vehiclehistory(DOT)com/paging-vin-report-data/new-report(DOT)php?vin=JTEHH20V410028108[/url]

CarFax Report: www(DOT)carfax(DOT)com/VehicleHistory/p/Report(DOT)cfx?partner=CFL_0&vin=JTEHH20V410028108

The car did have a lot of owners however it was a rental car at the start. I will be taking it to a Toyota dealer for a full inspection before buying so that will confirm if anything is wrong/failing.

Looks like a good deal to me provided it checks out mechanically.
Sweet will be heading out today to check her out. If it turns out well hopefully set a good KBB out the door price and get her inspected. If all goes will she will have a new owner :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So check her out and for all the cars I looked at this seems to be the best in shape. Transmission shifts smooth so I assume the ECM is good. If it did faile I did look online repairs and I could do it myself or pay $200-$300 to get it fixed. So a lot of cars I checked out at dealers and private they are always low on oil or coolant and usually never had the timing belt done. Looking at this car's fluids everything seemed fit. Coolant could be topped off a bit but was near the top line.

So here are my concerns. I am allowed to get a mechanic to check out the car however I cant take the car to a mechanic. At first, I saw this as a red flag, however, I realized this dealership is family runned/owned. Looks like the dad owns it and his kids and wife help. So I am guessing they are fearing of someone stealing a car as I can see that can hurt them. They told me what dealer they got the car from an auction and said I can call them and see if they did anything to the car. Also another note there seemed to be popping or sound quality was not that good from the radio but that could be me use to my surround sound in my LS40.

Next was this picture behind the tire its white. I am not sure if that's just some paint or something on it or could it be an issue?

And next is the out the door price after frees and stuff. $4,787.57

Here is what the engine looks like, tell me if you see anything out of normal. Everything checked out to me. The engine did vibrate when running but I assumed that's normal. Also when idle there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Also, another thing I saw odd was I was able to lift up the oil cap before the test drive but after the test drive, the oil cap was hard to remove. Not sure if that's normal for this car as I can remove the cap on my LS400 after driving. Oil cap did look clean underneath when I did look before I did the test drive.

So I guess you guys think the car is worth getting or does something seem off/wrong? Just trying to get others opinions before diving in on it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The tire looks like it was accidently sprayed since the entire car looks to be repainted. Looking at the seats it shows well for a car over 17 years. Engine bay looks clean and does not appear to have any oil leaking but hard to say since it is cleaned up. Check oil cap and look inside to see if there is sludge. No noticeable rust under the car which is very good probably since Arizona does not have much snow there.

The Gen1 vehicles are very reliable and many are running past 200,000 miles. Another thing is the mileage is low so should have plenty of life left.

If it checked out ok with a mechanic I think it looks good and the risk is low. Just know that it is a small SUV with enough room for 4 and the engine is under powered.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also how good are these cars in snow? Down in Phoenix, we don't get much but Flagstaff gets dumped.
Good, very good. I haven't managed to get stuck yet. My only complaint is you cannot disable the VSC. We used to go to the mountains skiing and its never failed us. Need a roof rack as skit dont fit inside :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
It appears cleaner than my 2005 with 212,000 miles. These cars are pretty reliable and low maintenance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I am looking for a car to take up to Flagstaff of Tucson for skiing. I have plans to go just about every other week and during the brake every week. I came across this car for sale near me www.reedmotorsonline.com/2001_Toyota_RAV4_Phoenix_AZ_269861671.veh
Wondering what you guys think and anything I should look at before buying. I will probably take it to a Toyota dealer for an inspection but before I pay to do that I would like to know of any issues that would make me run away from it.

Ive been using the Rav and Matrix for my ski cars the past 10 years or so, great on gas but certainly not a large pick up truck for getting through the snow. Ive always put on really good snow tires for the winter and that seems to get the job done ! 2 Matrixes and now the 13 Rav, I drive through anything ! New Hampshire winters can be wild, I ski at the most northern ski area in Franconia Notch.....noted for its insane weather ! No issues at all with me and my Cannon mountain crew !

Not sure about size and reliability of that year rav though............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts