Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
might be getting a good deal from a friend, currently have an 06 rav4 4cyl. it eats a little oil, not as bad as some on here.

either way, i've heard all the fun people have from owning a v6 and how powerful they are.

Is there any major issues on this model i should be looking for? for example how you should stay away from the 4cyl from 06-08 due to the oil eating issues. From what i've gathered the v6 engine seems to be pretty damn reliable.

please let me know if there's anything else i should look for or be weary of for this year.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
V6 fun in your future?? But why is he/she selling it?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Matt the V6 is a lot of fun with an extra 100 HP over your current car. The transmission whine and leaking (and growl) rear differential are the two areas you should look out for. The 2009 models on wards are reliable overall but can be better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
there is also the vti oil hose issue. well alteast on ky 2008 it was still the rubber one. i ordered the part and upgraded it myself. most will have been recalled for repair but toyota.

its a cheap part and worth doing if your car has the rubber one.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I replaced mine with the all steel one myself too. As I recall I had to order one for a 2009 to avoid getting the hose(d) one.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
there is also the vti oil hose issue. well alteast on ky 2008 it was still the rubber one. i ordered the part and upgraded it myself. most will have been recalled for repair but toyota.

its a cheap part and worth doing if your car has the rubber one.
And yet my 2008 had the all-metal oil line. The build cutoff date was in April, so any RAV4 built after April 2008 should have the metal line. Mine was built in July.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, thanks for the advice guys. if there's anything else please let me know.
I spoke to the person selling the 09 v6 and she's dropped 3k in price in her ad as she's trying to move it asap. Only thing that scares me is the fact she said she was rear ended way back and it was 2500 to 3k in damage but it was fixed by the dealer. Is this something that you guys would be worried about?

Mine got written off (not my fault) so i'm in search of a newer one. i like the 4.3 body but if i got a smoking deal i'd consider the 4.4. but for now i'm focused on a 09-12 limited or so.

would really like one with sunroof, push button start and black or white and low kms. leather is a bonus but not critical.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A vehicle that has around $3k in documented accident damage, its usually just cosmetic & often makes it a much better value (reported on CarFax) - its the +/- $10,000 claims, one has to avoid.
Example - formerly having a 2 mph parking lot impact, are excellent used vehicles, IMO.

We have a 2008 RAV4 Limited with the v6 - just a fun & rewarding experience in ownership.
- ours had $2,500 in damage, at one point in time...just a door ding or something, etc.
- nothing to even worry about, and I nicely negotiated purchase price down by $1,500
- "lightly damaged goods" repaired properly, can often be a blessing in disguise ... to save $$

If the 2009 v6 has come down by $3,000...
I'd be seriously getting off the rocking chair, no 100 HP less 4 cyl. in my future !!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
cool, thanks for the advice guys. if there's anything else please let me know.
I spoke to the person selling the 09 v6 and she's dropped 3k in price in her ad as she's trying to move it asap. Only thing that scares me is the fact she said she was rear ended way back and it was 2500 to 3k in damage but it was fixed by the dealer. Is this something that you guys would be worried about?
Mine got written off (not my fault) so i'm in search of a newer one. i like the 4.3 body but if i got a smoking deal i'd consider the 4.4. but for now i'm focused on a 09-12 limited or so.
would really like one with sunroof, push button start and black or white and low kms. leather is a bonus but not critical.
Sounds like it might be a pretty good deal. As B67 said, 3k in damage isn't much. Have you taken it for a ride over different roads? Look under the rear of the car....everything look normal? Are the rear tires wearing evenly?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
IMO, the accident which I agree must have only been minor, is scaring other potential buyers away so I'd go for it, maybe at 4K off.
I wouldn't pass up the chance for another V6 if ours got damaged beyond repair.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unfortunately it has sold :( , i tried contacting her but she said she was in a bind and desperate to move it and someone bought it.

Kinda disappointed, it had the JBL system and push button start and leather and sunroof, everything i wanted but was concerned about the damage didn't want to rush into a car purchase.

But that's to you guys i'm more informed about this topic so i will know for further purchases.

thanks alot again for all your input. I guess it wasn't just meant to be.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's disappointing, sorry to hear it. On the bright side, Rav4s are everywhere you won't have trouble finding another one.

I usually cast my search within a 250mi radius and sometimes even 500mi. I have found some of my best vehicles that way that are everything I'm looking for and at the right price. In fact I typically find my "1 owner, dealer records" type vehicles in smaller towns where they aren't getting much attention and as a bonus are lower mileage as the owner didn't need to drive far in daily commuting. Come with financing in hand and the research done like you've done here with us, and the rest is a fun weekend trip and an exciting new purchase. Fun to me anyway, l like road trips :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the advice!

i've been looking solid for a week now and nothing reasonable has come up or the km's are way to high. finding another rav sucks right now. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts