Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 v6 with 88k, beautiful condition. Traded at GMC dealer, which worries me some.

Anyway drove it and there's a whine while under power, seems constant till road noise drowns it out. Not annoying, seems like it might be normal for these however there's a lot of stuff about it whine issues as y'all probably know.

Do they have a little whine normally? Or should they be quiet? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well darn. That'll explain why it was traded for a GMC Terrain. Don't mind the sound as it is now but I assume it'll get worse and indicates a mechanical issue that's not good, not just a bothersome noise.

Thanks.
Actually it's not a mechanical issue. Just a noise problem.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
To emphasize - what ravenuer said! The whine does not indicate a failing part or a big problem. The fix involves replacing sound insulation fastener parts. Your RAV4 is not falling apart.

Me, well I'm so deaf I'd live with it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
No whine so far with my '11 V6. But my wife is very sensitive to whine because of a hearing problem and if the whine begins either it will have to be dealt with or it probably would be good-bye RAV V6 even though it would be much missed!

Another pro-V6 episode this AM on a two lane main road, several cars lined up behind a slow moving farm tractor and apparently the driver of the first car was afraid to pass. A V6 blast from my RAV and easily passed all of them safely so there was no danger for oncoming traffic. Would not have tried it with a stock 4-banger.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Actually it's not a mechanical issue. Just a noise problem.
Actually it IS mechanical. The final drive gear was not honed properly which causes the whine. The TSB was only good for the first 3 years/36K of the warranty. Mine drove me nuts, I had a re manufactured tranny put in under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
To emphasize - what ravenuer said! The whine does not indicate a failing part or a big problem. The fix involves replacing sound insulation fastener parts. Your RAV4 is not falling apart.

Me, well I'm so deaf I'd live with it.
Sorry but the fix involves a reman transmission with the final drive gear honed properly. Been there, done that. The "sound insulation fastener parts" were new engine and transmission mounts. All that did was change when the whine occurred. The reman tranny was the fix. Mine is beginning to whine again at 40 MPH but 99% better than it was initially, it was unbearable.

I know of no failures due to the whine so if you can live with it then you're good to go. I could not live with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry but the fix involves a reman transmission with the final drive gear honed properly. Been there, done that. The "sound insulation fastener parts" were new engine and transmission mounts. All that did was change when the whine occurred. The reman tranny was the fix. Mine is beginning to whine again at 40 MPH but 99% better than it was initially, it was unbearable.

I know of no failures due to the whine so if you can live with it then you're good to go. I could not live with it.
Thanks. On my test drive I noticed it right away but didn't find it intrusive, just unique I guess. As I wrote, the miles on it are 88k, will the whine get worse?

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Thanks. On my test drive I noticed it right away but didn't find it intrusive, just unique I guess. As I wrote, the miles on it are 88k, will the whine get worse?
At that mileage I rather doubt it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine has just under 100K dont know that I have any whine. I do know the car itself is very versatile even if my friends give me grief over driving a girl car..I was looking for a v6 camry but for work it wouldnt have worked out like the rav4

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Actually it IS mechanical. The final drive gear was not honed properly which causes the whine. The TSB was only good for the first 3 years/36K of the warranty. Mine drove me nuts, I had a re manufactured tranny put in under warranty.
You're correct, but what I meant was it won't lead to a transmission failure. It'll just be noisy.
Mine has a slight whine, but I've decided to ignore it.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I just bought a used Rav4 and it has an extended warranty. I didn't see this listed as an open recall, but is it possible to get this fixed? Is it really worth it? Will it get worse?
Remember, it's a TSB, not a recall so it's up to your dealer. I have what I believe to be a slight whine and I've decided to let it ride as it won't lead to any kind of failure. Just a little noise, but it's a somewhat noisy vehicle anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Mine was a whine that interfered with conversation, nothing slight about it. That's why I pursued it to the max. After a trial fix, which did little, the answer was a rebuilt trans with the proper honed final gear. That is the only thing that will cure it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I just bought a used Rav4 and it has an extended warranty. I didn't see this listed as an open recall, but is it possible to get this fixed? Is it really worth it? Will it get worse?
I won't weigh in on whether this is an annoyance or a real problem. In your other thread when you were considering this car, I commented you should check for 1) ride quality and 2) the tranny whine--if present. To make sure both were acceptable to you. So now you have the car and apparently the tranny whine and looking for options? Luckily for you, you have the extended warranty. Hopefully it can be covered, if determined bad enough. If it does get worse while under the warranty, try to get it replaced.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Which extended "warranty" (actually a VSA - governed by differentl laws than those which apply to a warranty) does your RAV have? The documents should be included with your vehicle. There are different VSAs:
https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/w/planning_center/vehicle_protection_plans/vehicle_service_agreements

Also as has been noted in other posts criteria which apply to to the whine problem vary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts