Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm in the market for an 04/05 RAV4 and I've been looking for a few weeks now. Cars.com mostly, some other sites too, but seems that most sites show the same listings (any suggestions as to where to look?). I was wondering how difficult you all think it might be for me to find a specific combination of accessories/package:

Spectra Mica Blue
2WD
Automatic
Charcoal interior
Moonroof
Rear spoiler
Roof rack
Alloy wheels
235/60R tires
Remote keyless entry

Has to be 04/05, I want the newer engine. Might sacrifice and get a 4x4, but won't settle for stick (shifts are way too long of a throw, very annoying) or mocha interior. I'd love to have leather seats, but that's a pipe dream on the east coast from what I'm told. Dealers suck too because they want a lot more than KBB/individual sellers do. Yep, I'm being picky, which means I probably have to wait.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Johnny G where do you live? Complete your info in your profile.

You're pretty specific but there is alot out there. You'll still get deals on a New '05 but you'll have to shop around dealers if you can. If you live close to the boarder you may concider buying a Canadian Rav. Many options are grouped like you want but I think you will have to go with the 4x4. You may save with exchange but unfortunate for you right now, the Dollar here is almost the same as your U.S. dollar.

Good luck and hope you find one. The Blue would have been my first choice too but I only had black and green to pick from at the time. You may have to settle for diff. color as well if the deal is right.

Later. M. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
We found mine through a broker who normally deals with luxury cars, but was nice enough to help us out with finding a Toyota Rav4. Specializing in the California area, he had trouble locating a car with the exact options and accessories I was hoping for. Fortunately someone had preordered a car that was similar to the one i wanted and ended up not getting it. I picked it up, but it doesn't have ABS nor limited slip differential which is horrible consider all other newer models have ABS standard.

OPINION ON OPTIONS:
- if the weather is very cold or very hot, leather may not be a great idea. I purposefully chose no leather b/c it gets way too hot in the heat and can also crack from extreme temperature changes. I love the car but wont' put time to put leather oil and all that stuff on it. I normally love leather and would get it anyway, but the cloth on the rav4 looks very good. it's textured and does not look like the cheap kind you'll see in other cars. it's not just a texture pattern, but actually has a feel to it. nice stuff. cloth is also more rugged for your friends when they abuse it.
- Look at the BLUE in person. i originally wanted blue too, but the blue was a lot brighter than i had hoped. definitely a more rare color and you would stand out. I just saw a blue S type for the first time today after 2 yrs.
- 2WD will save you a gillon dollars on gas (milage is much much better), money. I chose 4wd for going up to the hills for skiing. it's also safer on the turns, but slower than 2wd. 2wd will give you more room for an aftermarket exhaust b/c you wont' have the differntial in the way.
- Automatic's a good choice. i wanted manual originally, but that's VERY VERY rare here in california. Too hard to find. automatic is easier to use. Read more about how much gas you will save with a manual if at all.
- Charcoal interior. i got that too. enough said.
- Moonroof. i considered not getting it, but i love it and use it everyday. sunroof in the daytime and moonroof in the evenings. will not allow you to install a ceiling monitor conveniently if that's what you're considering in the future. glass is in fact plastic for safety reasons. scratches very easily.
- Rear spoiler does NOT come with all L packages. Definitely finishes the look, but some people have opted to purchase it aftermarket for a cheaper price. consider you will have to drill to install and you'll have to paint it yourself.
- Roofrack. I used it to load my bike on a 6 hr trip b/c it doesn't fit on the back with a traditional bike rack. some civic people have said that they lose 2 mpg with a roofrack installed.
- alloywheels. doesn't really matter. all about the look.
- Tire's: not sure what mine are.
- remote keyless entry. many recommend to get an aftermarket alarm. You get more for the money and they will all come with keyless entry. But if you dont' want an alarm, save yourself the hastle of aftermarket and just get keyless entry with no alarm from the dealer.
- engine on new model makes a big difference.

LAST COMMENTS (whiping sweat b/c this is hte longest reply i've ever written)
- Time your purchase right b/c the new 2006 model will come out on december 19th and you will get better prices upon its release.
- it looks like you're shopping for the car alone. let the professionals do it...the sales people. fax your list of accessories and options to 10 dealers and wait for a response. compare the top three and let them fight eachother for your business.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
When i bought used i looked in the local Auto trader for 2 months and visited about 7 people. You might not get the exact color or options but patients will eventually get you a great car at a good price.
In Canada people are buying luxury cars on E-bay and saving $10,000 but I personally have to see the vehicle closely, test drive it, and then let my mechanic check it over.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marcutio said:
Johnny G where do you live? Complete your info in your profile.
I'm in the Baltimore/Washington metro area.

Yes, I've tried Carmax. I hear I can give them a list of what I'm looking for and they will attempt to find it, so maybe that's an option. I do remember a blue one (individual seller) with all my options on cars.com last month, but I was not quite ready to buy, so that sucks too. It was a garage kept '04 nd low miles (8K).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zoomie said:
We found mine through a broker who normally deals with luxury cars, but was nice enough to help us out with finding a Toyota RAV4. Specializing in the California area, he had trouble locating a car with the exact options and accessories I was hoping for. Fortunately someone had preordered a car that was similar to the one i wanted and ended up not getting it. I picked it up, but it doesn't have ABS nor limited slip differential which is horrible consider all other newer models have ABS standard.

OPINION ON OPTIONS:
- if the weather is very cold or very hot, leather may not be a great idea. I purposefully chose no leather b/c it gets way too hot in the heat and can also crack from extreme temperature changes. I love the car but wont' put time to put leather oil and all that stuff on it. I normally love leather and would get it anyway, but the cloth on the RAV4 looks very good. it's textured and does not look like the cheap kind you'll see in other cars. it's not just a texture pattern, but actually has a feel to it. nice stuff. cloth is also more rugged for your friends when they abuse it.
- Look at the BLUE in person. i originally wanted blue too, but the blue was a lot brighter than i had hoped. definitely a more rare color and you would stand out. I just saw a blue S type for the first time today after 2 yrs.
- 2WD will save you a gillon dollars on gas (milage is much much better), money. I chose 4wd for going up to the hills for skiing. it's also safer on the turns, but slower than 2wd. 2wd will give you more room for an aftermarket exhaust b/c you wont' have the differntial in the way.
- Automatic's a good choice. i wanted manual originally, but that's VERY VERY rare here in california. Too hard to find. automatic is easier to use. Read more about how much gas you will save with a manual if at all.
- Charcoal interior. i got that too. enough said.
- Moonroof. i considered not getting it, but i love it and use it everyday. sunroof in the daytime and moonroof in the evenings. will not allow you to install a ceiling monitor conveniently if that's what you're considering in the future. glass is in fact plastic for safety reasons. scratches very easily.
- Rear spoiler does NOT come with all L packages. Definitely finishes the look, but some people have opted to purchase it aftermarket for a cheaper price. consider you will have to drill to install and you'll have to paint it yourself.
- Roofrack. I used it to load my bike on a 6 hr trip b/c it doesn't fit on the back with a traditional bike rack. some civic people have said that they lose 2 mpg with a roofrack installed.
- alloywheels. doesn't really matter. all about the look.
- Tire's: not sure what mine are.
- remote keyless entry. many recommend to get an aftermarket alarm. You get more for the money and they will all come with keyless entry. But if you dont' want an alarm, save yourself the hastle of aftermarket and just get keyless entry with no alarm from the dealer.
- engine on new model makes a big difference.

LAST COMMENTS (whiping sweat b/c this is hte longest reply i've ever written)
- Time your purchase right b/c the new 2006 model will come out on december 19th and you will get better prices upon its release.
- it looks like you're shopping for the car alone. let the professionals do it...the sales people. fax your list of accessories and options to 10 dealers and wait for a response. compare the top three and let them fight eachother for your business.
Thanks for the long reply. I'm used to leather (my S2000 had it), so I'm ok with the hot/cold thing. Yes, I want the blue, I don't want to waste all that gas money on 4x4 if absolutely necessary (I have a Del Sol now and get 32-34MPG, so that would be a shock to me) and auto is what I want now after spending 22 years driving all manual cars. Time for a break, eh?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, let me get this straight, the difference between the 'L' and 'S' is that the 'S' package does not have matching color side panels and fog lights and other than that is basically the same as the 'L'. Is that it? I've spoken to a lot of dealers and it looks like I can find a blue 'L' with everything I want except for the sunroof. Damn. I want the sunroof. I guess I'll just have to be patient and keep looking for a used one.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nevermind the 'S' question.

I found a dealer that can get me a blue 05 with all the options I want, but it's 4x4. This is ok. Dealer invoice with all the correct options checked on kbb.com is $23,130. I was told there's a $750 incentive, but I'm wondering how much of a deal I'll be able to get since this is the end of the model year and the 19th is when the 06's hit the lot. I hate getting the itchy trigger finger when it comes to buying a new car...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to give you a reference point i just bought a black base model 05 4x4 for 19,400 last week. it has the roof rack, mud guards and floor mats as added options the sticker price was 21,400. also ask about the financing... i got 3.9% apr on my loan due to an incentive. you can check the toyota web site for the dealer incentives in your area.

good luck and let me just say this is one heck of a vehicle - more than I expected by far.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lawrant said:
to give you a reference point i just bought a black base model 05 4x4 for 19,400 last week. it has the roof rack, mud guards and floor mats as added options the sticker price was 21,400. also ask about the financing... i got 3.9% apr on my loan due to an incentive. you can check the toyota web site for the dealer incentives in your area.

good luck and let me just say this is one heck of a vehicle - more than I expected by far.
I found a dealer that located a blue L 4x4 auto with all the options I want and also the leather seats. Quote is $24,675. I'm doing the kbb.com thing to see what invoice is. How do I figure the incentive in, I mean, if they give it to me at or below invoice, does the $750 incentive still apply or not? Ugh!

[edit] - looks like they're giving me this loaded blue 4x4 with leather seats for a little under invoice plus the $750 incentive money. Interesting. Anyone think I could get more off that price? They were fast to agree to the price I said the other dealer quoted (which was the slightly below invoice one).

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you are financing i would make sure that you find out if the incentive is the $750 or a low apr. many times the APR will save you a lot more than the markdown. if you arent financing then disreguard this post.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hate to double post but i thought of something right after i submitted that one

check out www.carbuyingtips.com this guy really knows what he is talking about and by reading you might be able to save even more... good luck

·
Registered
771 Posts
Some times you can get the $750 or more in dealer installed extras (ie: spoiler, fender flares, mud guards etc.) Just write a list of what you want, price the items and maybe you can save more that $750 by doing it this way as sort of a "do it or the deal is off" thing.

Your on the right track persistance and PATIENCE pays off. Don't impulse buy because some sales guy/girl tells you "its the last one". There's tonnes still out there and like was said above, the deals will get better when the '06 is released. Timing is the key. Play one off the other and you'll be surprised at the result. January is the best month because all sales men are hurting for that sell. They'll pull out all the stops to pay off the Christmas gifts they just bought.

Good luck. Later. M. :shock:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zoomie said:
johnny: let me get this straight. YOu're going from an s2000 to a RAV4? how ironic, b/c that's gunna be my NEXT car AFTER the RAV4.
Well, I loved my S2000, but it's not practical. Trunk space is pitiful and it's a two seater. I loved it though. I bought an 02 and when I sold in in August this year, it only had 5K miles on it. Yeah, I let it sit around a little. But, I wanted a house and I had money tied up in it, so I sold it. Yes, I miss it. I loved going fast in that car.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone has any experience with buying at the very end of the model year and is willing to share, I would appreciate it. If they are so willing to quote me invoice on a RAV4, this makes me think that I could possibly get it for less. Either that or kbb.com's little calculator doesn't reflect the correct invoice amount. I actually got the dealer to give me all the package codes from the sticker and I put them in myself. The 'invoice' total I got was like $600 less than what they say is invoice.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dealers will also have freight, PDI, and a few b/s charges in there as well. Some dealers are better than others.
I usually buy slightly used/new to me, except once (Honda, big mistake!!!) and that works for us. I know that this time of the year is the best for deals beacuse thats pretty much when we always buy.
A 4x4 in a northern climate will probably not be much less than it is all year. Obviously the demand is there this time of the year for those which is why I bought my RAV 4x4 in July during a slump in my area for dealers. Confussed yet? Geography my man. Buy from a place, at a time when it is in your best interest.

Maybe a combination like one of these.

1. Fall/winter southern states, slightly used/new, 4x4.
2. Fall/winter northern climate, new or slightly used 2wd.
3. Summer heat wave, 4x4, new/used anywhere.

Find more than one to choose from and play one dealer off the other. Works everytime. Don't come across too anxious or the deal goes out the window. May have to compromise on color or a couple of options for "the Deal" so prioritize on what you want.

I could go on and on but you should check out the sites mentioned above for some other advise.

Later. M :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Marcutio said:
Dealers will also have freight, PDI, and a few b/s charges in there as well. Some dealers are better than others.
I usually buy slightly used/new to me, except once (Honda, big mistake!!!) and that works for us. I know that this time of the year is the best for deals beacuse thats pretty much when we always buy.
A 4x4 in a northern climate will probably not be much less than it is all year. Obviously the demand is there this time of the year for those which is why I bought my RAV 4x4 in July during a slump in my area for dealers. Confussed yet? Geography my man. Buy from a place, at a time when it is in your best interest.

Maybe a combination like one of these.

1. Fall/winter southern states, slightly used/new, 4x4.
2. Fall/winter northern climate, new or slightly used 2wd.
3. Summer heat wave, 4x4, new/used anywhere.

Find more than one to choose from and play one dealer off the other. Works everytime. Don't come across too anxious or the deal goes out the window. May have to compromise on color or a couple of options for "the Deal" so prioritize on what you want.

I could go on and on but you should check out the sites mentioned above for some other advise.

Later. M :wink:
Appreciate the advice. I'm working with that one dealer that has the loaded blue 4x4. They 'located' it for me and now it's at their dealership, I have an appt. on Monday with them. I'm going to call other dealers and see if they can beat the pricing. Here's what it's got, codes included. Quoted price is $24,675 after the $750 rebate (sticker is like $28,000 or something), I'm trying to get them to let me have that price before the $750 rebate. I've checked KBB and Edmunds for this exact setup and 'invoice' (before $750 rebate) seems to be $25,022. Since they agreed so easily to the price, maybe they have a lot of room to bargain since the 06 comes out soon.

Spectra Mica Blue
'L' package
4WD
Automatic
Charcoal interior
16" alloy wheels
235/60R tires
Leather seats
Heated front seats
Moonroof
Rear spoiler
Roof rails w/crossbars
Remote keyless entry
Wide mud Guards
Daytime running lights
F&R floor mats
Cargo mat
Cargo net

ay - spoke aluminum alloy wheels
dk - some stupid misc crap
dr - roof rails w/crossbars
fe - emission equip
gy - air bags
hd - heated front seats
ke - keyless entry
la - leather seats
ma - mud guards
rf - rear spoiler
rl - daytime running lights
sr - moon roof
up - L pkg
z1 - F&R floor mats/Cargo mat/Cargo net/Emergency stuff etc.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts