Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something to use on my month-old RAV4, but it's really confusing looking at all of the products out there.

One thing to mention: I live in a high-rise apartment building, so I don't have access to a hose, buffer or anything like that. I'm looking for a product that I can wipe on and buff with a microfiber cloth, if that's possible. I've heard of a couple of products that can also be applied to the windows as well as the car to provide rain resistance.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I use Griot's Garage one-step sealant. Goes on easy and wipes off easy.

alot of people also like

Wolfgang deep gloss
Concours Series paint sealant

But they cost more.

You can find reviews and compare on google

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

alot of people also like

Wolfgang deep gloss

But they cost more.

Great! When you don't know, it can be so confusing trying to pick your way through all this!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You can look into Rain x for your windows. I use the rain x windshield washer fluid. They also have wipes to treat the windows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can look into Rain x for your windows. I use the rain x windshield washer fluid. They also have wipes to treat the windows.
Yeah, I'm using both of those products now. The wiper fluid is good, but I find the wipes require too much work to try and get the haze they leave on my windows. I disliked the product so much I gave it away to my doorman.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I've never used the wipes so I can't comment but I do like the winsheld wash. It seems to work much better than the standard wash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

alot of people also like

Wolfgang deep gloss

But they cost more.

I took your suggestion and bought the Griot's One-Step, it'll be here tomorrow. Was looking at some of the orbital buffers, particularly the wireless ones, but man, this stuff gets pricey once you go all in!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Make sure you keep shaking the bottle to keep it mixed. I put it on by hand. Works fine. You don't have to use much. I use an applicator like the ones that come with paste wax.

Don't wash it for 24 hours after using the sealant so it can cure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you keep shaking the bottle to keep it mixed. I put it on by hand. Works fine. You don't have to use much. I use an applicator like the ones that come with paste wax.

Don't wash it for 24 hours after using the sealant so it can cure.
Yes, I've seen those tips during my research, thanks. Guess I'll hold off on getting a buffer and try doing it by hand. I'm one of the fortunate New Yorkers who parks in a garage, so no wet weather, and the car was washed last week. I'll post follow-up after it's done.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Parking garage in NY. Do you win the Powerball? Just make sure it's clean before you do it so it doesn't get scratched. And be careful you wipe it of right away if you get it on any black trim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parking garage in NY. Do you win the Powerball? Just make sure it's clean before you do it so it doesn't get scratched. And be careful you wipe it of right away if you get it on any black trim.
Thanks, that's good to know about the black trim. As for the garage, if you're willing to pay for it, it's available, though there IS a 10-year waiting list in my building.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for something to use on my month-old RAV4, but it's really confusing looking at all of the products out there.

One thing to mention: I live in a high-rise apartment building, so I don't have access to a hose, buffer or anything like that. I'm looking for a product that I can wipe on and buff with a microfiber cloth, if that's possible. I've heard of a couple of products that can also be applied to the windows as well as the car to provide rain resistance.

Any suggestions are welcome.
I took your suggestion and bought the Griot's One-Step, it'll be here tomorrow. Was looking at some of the orbital buffers, particularly the wireless ones, but man, this stuff gets pricey once you go all in!
Hey there. Reading this thread has given me a chuckle and I half. I unfortunately went

all

in.

Where to start? Firstly I highly recommend washing the car and prepping the paint to be waxed and sealed. That means stripping all and every last drop of whatever came on the paint from the dealer. I’m talking the BS wax smoke and mirrors crap they throw on right before you leave the dealer. This would involve using a 50/50 dilution isopropyl alcohol/distilled water spray to coat the car right after you wash it.

You don’t have access to hose or water? Good thing there’s OPTIMUM NO RINSE. This is basically the end all be all to this issue all together. Developed for people in Minnesota to wash their cars during winter.
It’s highly concentrated so it’s very economical and will last a long time.
It’s a liquid that is insanely lubricated. So you’ll add 2oz to 5 gallons of water. Distilled water is used for best results. You’ll need to get a crap ton of microfiber towels. Soak the crap out of them in said bucket. Then you wash your car one panel at a time. After you wash the each panel you’ll take a clean microfiber towel and buff dry. Dunk that rinse microfiber back in bucket and you Literally rinse and repeat. Pro Tip
NEVER WASH YOUR CAR WITH CIRCULAR MOTIONS. THIS CAUSES SWIRLS AND SCRATCHES. You’re not the Karate Kid. No I’m not Mr Miagi. Long straight swipes all in the same direction will help prevent this. I digress.
You’ll probably go
Through 2-3 microfibers per wash depending on how dirty your car is.
ONR is also great for interiors trim wheels. When you dilute it into a spray bottle 8:1 with water. It’s a great detail spray.

Wax? Tried and true Collinite 845 wax has been the same formula since 256BC. I’ve used it multiple times. A little goes a long way. Buff on buff off after a period of letting it settle and bond with clean paint for a kiss or two. 5-10mins. Careful of the trim, it won’t stain it permanently, but it will be a pain to correct if you’re not used to it.

I use Jet Sealer from Chemical guys after all is said and done. Same as the wax. Buff one. Let it chill buff off.
Invisible glass from stoners is great. You’re most likely having issues with streaking and hazing because you’re using too much product/or paper towels. Use TWO towels when you do glass. Spray stoners on clean micro(NOT ON GLASS), not too much but when you have a micro folded in quarters you’ll saturate on side and scrub them windows clean. Buff any residual residue off with clean micro. Do you’re whole car. No use points if you roll your windows down a crack and get the tippy tops. No one ever cleans those.

I could pretty much go all day.
this all started because I spent 75 dollars on a “hand wash/wax/bullshit” went home and spent 3 hours fixing it.
Good luck and god speed.

GOOGLE THESE
Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.
theragcompany -16-x-16-creature-edgeless-dual-pile-towel
chemicalguys-jetseal
Stoners- invisible Glass
autogeek
Detailed image

Have fun. Maybe I’ll see ya down here in this rabbit hole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey there. Reading this thread has given me a chuckle and I half. I unfortunately went

all

in.

Where to start? Firstly I highly recommend washing the car and prepping the paint to be waxed and sealed. That means stripping all and every last drop of whatever came on the paint from the dealer. I’m talking the BS wax smoke and mirrors crap they throw on right before you leave the dealer. This would involve using a 50/50 dilution isopropyl alcohol/distilled water spray to coat the car right after you wash it.

You don’t have access to hose or water? Good thing there’s OPTIMUM NO RINSE. This is basically the end all be all to this issue all together. Developed for people in Minnesota to wash their cars during winter.
It’s highly concentrated so it’s very economical and will last a long time.
It’s a liquid that is insanely lubricated. So you’ll add 2oz to 5 gallons of water. Distilled water is used for best results. You’ll need to get a crap ton of microfiber towels. Soak the crap out of them in said bucket. Then you wash your car one panel at a time. After you wash the each panel you’ll take a clean microfiber towel and buff dry. Dunk that rinse microfiber back in bucket and you Literally rinse and repeat. Pro Tip
NEVER WASH YOUR CAR WITH CIRCULAR MOTIONS. THIS CAUSES SWIRLS AND SCRATCHES. You’re not the Karate Kid. No I’m not Mr Miagi. Long straight swipes all in the same direction will help prevent this. I digress.
You’ll probably go
Through 2-3 microfibers per wash depending on how dirty your car is.
ONR is also great for interiors trim wheels. When you dilute it into a spray bottle 8:1 with water. It’s a great detail spray.

Wax? Tried and true Collinite 845 wax has been the same formula since 256BC. I’ve used it multiple times. A little goes a long way. Buff on buff off after a period of letting it settle and bond with clean paint for a kiss or two. 5-10mins. Careful of the trim, it won’t stain it permanently, but it will be a pain to correct if you’re not used to it.

I use Jet Sealer from Chemical guys after all is said and done. Same as the wax. Buff one. Let it chill buff off.
Invisible glass from stoners is great. You’re most likely having issues with streaking and hazing because you’re using too much product/or paper towels. Use TWO towels when you do glass. Spray stoners on clean micro(NOT ON GLASS), not too much but when you have a micro folded in quarters you’ll saturate on side and scrub them windows clean. Buff any residual residue off with clean micro. Do you’re whole car. No use points if you roll your windows down a crack and get the tippy tops. No one ever cleans those.

I could pretty much go all day.
this all started because I spent 75 dollars on a “hand wash/wax/bullshit” went home and spent 3 hours fixing it.
Good luck and god speed.

GOOGLE THESE
Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.
theragcompany -16-x-16-creature-edgeless-dual-pile-towel
chemicalguys-jetseal
Stoners- invisible Glass
autogeek
Detailed image

Have fun. Maybe I’ll see ya down here in this rabbit hole.
Jeez, you really went all in, LOL!!!

My time is limited, so I don't know that I have that kind of time (or patience!) for what you describe. I used the Griot's Garage One-Step, and man, the results are AMAZING! Water just beads off the car, and that sacrificial layer is going to come in handy as we're taking a road trip to Minneapolis on Tuesday, so getting the bugs off the car will be much easier! Very happy with the product and the results!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Jeez, you really went all in, LOL!!!

My time is limited, so I don't know that I have that kind of time (or patience!) for what you describe. I used the Griot's Garage One-Step, and man, the results are AMAZING! Water just beads off the car, and that sacrificial layer is going to come in handy as we're taking a road trip to Minneapolis on Tuesday, so getting the bugs off the car will be much easier! Very happy with the product and the results!

It's a good idea to put a couple of coats on it for extra protection. Just wait a day in between coats.

You should be good for the winter!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's amazing that rainX is still in business. They've been selling those window ruining wipes for years. But I guess a sucker is born every minute! (no offense... I just really hate the stuff).

I recommend real waxes over the spray on stuff. Mostly just from intuition but also if you take the time to take care of your car, you're more likely to do it right.

I never met a tool I didn't like, but be careful with those electric buffers. You'll swirl the hell out of your paint MUCH faster and deeper than doing it by hand!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
d6stringer
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing