Honda CR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Mazda CX-5
Nissan Rogue
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback
Toyota RAV4

And of those the Rogue, Forester, and the CX-5 came closest. I would be driving a CX-5 right now if it had more practical space and under cargo floor storage. The Forester feels way too tall (like I could tip over with a strong gust of wind) and doesn't have blind spot monitoring (turns out I really like this feature). I thought really hard about the Rogue, but it felt too pokey and I didn't like the blind spot sensors (on the a pillar, so you have to focus on the mirror and the a pillar at the same time)

Is there anything out there that I'm missing? Or maybe something coming in the next year or so?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Generally speaking, I think you're out of luck. They just don't make the combination the V6 RAV4 offered any more, at least in this class.

In my opinion, only 3 options exist in the "fast" department:

- Jeep Cherokee V6
- Subaru Forester XT
- Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost

The latter two are turbo engines. The Jeep suffers HORRIBLY from lack of cargo space (though a full-sized spare tire is at least an option, plus an excellent 4WD system is available). But Jeep's past reliability has been...questionable.

The Forester lacks in towing capacity, and the turbo version only has a stinkin' CVT transmission, but it has great visibility and excellent safety ratings. Good AWD system, too. It pretty much always ranks very high in comparisons.

The Escape is often pretty expensive, at least with the beefy engine. Plus more importantly, well, it's a Ford...which I've personally found to be quite unreliable, even when impeccably maintained. Fix Or Repair Daily, indeed.

Have you considered a (used?) Lexus RX 350? It has the same engine as the RAV4 V6, plus lots of tech features. It's heavier, so it won't be as fast, but it still should offer a very good package combination, including legendary reliability. I believe it's Lexus' best seller, I'm sure for a reason.

It's not exactly in the same class, but I don't believe there are any great options in the same class anymore at all.

A used Lexus RX 350 is where I think I'd be looking now, after having been spoiled rotten by the RAV4 V6.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Take a look at the Jeep Cherokee V6. It's very nice. My son has one and hasn't had any problems with it. And he's very hard on vehicles. In less than 2 years he's racked up more miles than I have with the 7-year old RAV! And you can get the lifetime warranty like he did.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Toyota Venza. Same V6 engine; AWD; 6 spd auto; MPG almost as good as the Rav. I have a 2013, with 75000km on it. No problems at all. It's heavier than the Rav, so not quite as fast, but you can still out-drag most others. 2016 will be the final production year. Take it for a test drive.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Jeep still has tons of problems with transmission and other components and projected reliability of well under average! Same thing for the Ford, couple of people I know have had lots of problems with the Escape

I agree with Dave, the V6 awd Venza is a nice choice, my wife loves her 2011 base venza, (I find it's a bit of a boat compared to the rav4) from what I read it's also one of the most reliable Toyota models!

for me, my next choice will either be a highlander or a Hyundai santa fe, I need at least #3500 towing capacity, and I don't want to have two venzas in the driveway!

·
Registered
253 Posts
When I pointed out to my wife that the Venza is now 3 years old, and maybe we should be thinking about replacing it, she did a "Charlton Heston" on me.

:shrug:

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Unless the RAV V6 is giving you problems I would stick with it. I've spoken with owners who have in the neighborhood of 250,000 miles on their V6s and have had zero problems. Otherwise I would have a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe SE, with a 290 HP V6 - also has a 10-year powertrain and 5-year comprehensive warranty, saving money over having to purchase an extended VSA with most other makes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When I pointed out to my wife that the Venza is now 3 years old, and maybe we should be thinking about replacing it, she did a "Charlton Heston" on me.

:shrug:
What..."Take your stinking paws off me you da** dirty ape!"

?

Oh riiiiiight..."I'll give you my Venza when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."

>:D

Actually, the Venza has already been discontinued. 2015 was the last model year. It's gone from Toyota's web site as well. I don't think it was technically from this class, though. It was usually compared to the Outback.

Very good choice, though.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
As I see it you and I have only one choice when it comes to replacing our '06 V6 RAV4s - a 2012 V6 RAV4. But then mine only has 125,000 miles and I expect 200K anyway. At the wife's 5K/year pace (since 3K is going on the Odyssey) that's 2030.

Reactions: dave_cl

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 2010 V-6 Limited (purchased new) and occasionally toy with the idea of replacing it, which would also be a new vehicle. Finding something with as much power/room with relatively compact dimensions is a challenge. Toyota had a winning formula with the V-6 Rav and it is a shame they let it slip away.

Here are the current contenders on my list:
Subaru Outback 3.6R (hard to find, as it turns out)
Nissan Murano
Acura RDX

All are a notch up in the price scale from the Rav, but all of those are a little (or way) better appointed than my '10 Limited. At least they have the V-6 power.

Having owned two turbo vehicles in the past, I would not consider another, especially for this class of vehicle.

I would be curious to see how the new '16 Rav hybrid performs in the real world. It doesn't have the ultimate power of any of the above V-6 models, but the electric motors put out max torque instantly which could possibly make its performance more usable.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeesh. I'm pretty sure those first two choices only come with stinkin' CVT transmissions. :cry:

Power and performance have already started to cost noticeably more. I'd bet the trend will only get worse.

<sigh>

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Read the reviews for the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo. They seem quite favorable overall. That would be my first choice to go and drive.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One other car not mentioned yet would be the Kia Sorento, which has a V-6 option. Fully equipped it gets pricey, depends on how much you would want in it.

I have no personal experience with the car, but one of my colleagues here is on his second, he loves them.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
One other car not mentioned yet would be the Kia Sorento, which has a V-6 option. Fully equipped it gets pricey, depends on how much you would want in it.

I have no personal experience with the car, but one of my colleagues here is on his second, he loves them.
It's my admittedly vague understanding that the Sorento isn't really in this class (that's the Kia Sportage's job).

If I'm not mistaken, the Sorento competes more with the Highlander (or Venza?), which also have(had) the V6 option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts