Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife liked playing her CD's on her old RAV4 but her new 2020 RAV4 doesn't come with a CD player.

She purchased a battery operated "UNEGROUP Portable CD Player" in hopes that she could connect that to the Audio system on the car but it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Can anyone recommend one that will work? Or maybe, we're not doing something right.

Thanks for any help.

Jolly

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have done that - Plugged the audio output into the USB port. It does not seem to recognize it. Or??

Converting the CD to media card: It is easier to select a CD with a very visible label compared to a small media card.

Then you would need a media player device to plug into the audio unit.

Just hoping somebody may have successfully accomplished this and what CD player they used.

Thanks for your input KGB.

Jolly

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could plug the headphone out to the aux or copy to a flash drive and plug into the data usb port it read audio and video files video only in park.

·
Registered
RAV4 Hybrid Limited
28 Posts
Converting the CD to media card: It is easier to select a CD with a very visible label compared to a small media card.

Jolly
I think the idea here is that in current compressed format, almost all your CDs would fit on a 32GB USB drive, then you just plug it into the USB connector. CDs are 650 MB per disk, a 32GB USB drive is 50 times larger (approx) so set up your directory structure and you can carry almost 50CDs on a little flashdrive.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Unfortunately they did away with the 1/8" aux port on the 2020. You can look for a CD player that connects via BlueTooth.

Personally, I made the switch from CDs to my phone's BlueTooth when I purchased my 2019 Rav 4 and have no regrets. Next up is Apple CarPlay when the Iphone 12 comes out as the 2019 does not accommodate Android Auto.

At first I was leery to give up CDs and use BlueTooth but now the convenience cant be beat. If you want to get your feet wet, try transferring the CDs to a flash drive. Also, the drive needs to be formatted correctly and the directory needs to be setup a specific way so ask here if you chose to use a flash drive.

I believe the USB drive up front on the 2020 will only connect to phones for CarPlay and AndriodAuto but perhaps someone knows a hack to get the CD player to work.

My wife liked playing her CD's on her old RAV4 but her new 2020 RAV4 doesn't come with a CD player.

She purchased a battery operated "UNEGROUP Portable CD Player" in hopes that she could connect that to the Audio system on the car but it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Can anyone recommend one that will work? Or maybe, we're not doing something right.

Thanks for any help.

Jolly

·
Registered
351 Posts
Unfortunately they did away with the 1/8" aux port on the 2020. You can look for a CD player that connects via BlueTooth.

Personally, I made the switch from CDs to my phone's BlueTooth when I purchased my 2019 Rav 4 and have no regrets. Next up is Apple CarPlay when the Iphone 12 comes out as the 2019 does not accommodate Android Auto.

At first I was leery to give up CDs and use BlueTooth but now the convenience cant be beat. If you want to get your feet wet, try transferring the CDs to a flash drive. Also, the drive needs to be formatted correctly and the directory needs to be setup a specific way so ask here if you chose to use a flash drive.

I believe the USB drive up front on the 2020 will only connect to phones for CarPlay and AndriodAuto but perhaps someone knows a hack to get the CD player to work.
Whoa really? So you gain Android Auto but lose the Aux port???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for your Reply's and recommendations.

At first, I was thinking it would be cumbersome to have some sort of media reader connected to the audio but then it clicked - a thumb drive. Duh!

Not sure if wife would like that route but I will suggest it. I gotta be careful, else, I'll get hot tongue and cold shoulder for supper.

I can try a few. I'm thinking all I have to do is Copy a CD to a file on my desk top and then Copy that file to the thumb drive. I can try a couple and see how it works out.

I'm pretty sure tho, that if she had her druthers, she would rather insert a CD into a CD drive and push Play, or something like that.

Like a CD drive that connects via blue tooth.

All good suggestions above.

Thank you very much.

Jolly

·
Registered
104 Posts
I could play mp3 files from my 19LE from thumb drive, but l haven't try on my 2020 xle, I could also play avi file when not moving. Everything is controlled by steering wheel or headunit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks KGB.

I'll have to look that over and try to understand how it works.

First glance, it's a mystery.

Jolly

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
andaconda,

Thanks for the link to that FM Transmitter.

It probably is simpler but for us old farts, maybe not so simple.

Don't they just have an OFF and ON switch and Volume Control? (Like olden times.)

I think we (wife and I) should just get together with one of our kids this weekend and get some help.

But I'll check out that transmitter and that Blue Tooth Adapter that KGB suggested. That's probably the way to go.

Meanwhile, she'll get by.

Thanks again.

Jolly

·
Registered
473 Posts
andaconda,

Thanks for the link to that FM Transmitter.

It probably is simpler but for us old farts, maybe not so simple.

Don't they just have an OFF and ON switch and Volume Control? (Like olden times.)

I think we (wife and I) should just get together with one of our kids this weekend and get some help.

But I'll check out that transmitter and that Blue Tooth Adapter that KGB suggested. That's probably the way to go.

Meanwhile, she'll get by.

Thanks again.

Jolly
The transmitter just plugs into your earphone jack on the CD player. Then you tune your FM radio to the station set on the transmitter. It really is a piece of cake simple.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andaconda,

OK. I was looking thru the details of how to use that FM transmitter and it really looked to be that simple. Even for me.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Jolly

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bluetooth wirelessly connects the CD player to the car automatically every time it's on, no need to mess with the radio dial and hope no one around you has one broadcasting interference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The CD player that my wife bought isn't Bluetooth. That's the problem getting it to be seen by the RAV4 audio system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think that trying the thumb drive route would be the best first try. The problem with the FM transmitter is that the fidelity goes down somewhat and if you have a station near where you tune to the CD audio can fade in and out. They were great 20 years ago but going the USB drive after some fiddling around for a short time I'm sure she'll love it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts