Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have the roof rack on my RAV4 (1997 4Door) and everyone says that I should take it off to help with Gas Mileage.

Some Forum people indicated that I could request a key from a fellow RAV4'r to remove the rack and get a copy made.

I am looking for a key for a Roof Rack lock number 21 (stamped on lock cylinder). If you have one, I will pay to have it shipped to me and back and give $20 for renting it.

Please let me know if you have one.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi!
I have been through the struggles of trying to find a key for my rav also. What I wound up doing is picking the locks on the roof rack. It was so simple it was SCARY! :shock:

For more information look here:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/mit-guide/mit-guide.html

FWIW once you get the locks open, you can replace them with a lock from either a Yakima or Thule rack (I can't remember which). Many of my local sporting goods stores carry the locks and they can be purchased in packages of 4 or more, keyed alike. They cost about $10 apiece. One advantage to this is that if you put a ski rack or something on it, you can use all the same keys for it, just remember how easy it is to pick!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a #21 key. If I can find a locksmith with a blank I will have one made and send it to you for the price of the making the key.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I leave my roof racks off unless I need to use my cargo basket .
I can't stand the noise they cause :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts