Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a good car to go skiing with and have found a Rav4 in my area (LINK). My current car a 96 LS400 I love so much I would be a bit nervous to take her up in the mountains only to damage her. I have been looking at Subarus also but I love my Lexus and would like to stick with Toyota if I can.

The link I posted above is the car I found (EDIT: Guess I can't post links at the moment due to my post count). I am wondering if I go to check it out anything I should really look at to know I am getting a good car and not something with a lot of issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, so we live in Salt Lake City, Utah. We are close to some of the world's best and most challenging skiing. My wife's mom ( >60 years old ) has a 2001 Toyota Rav4 and has commuted from SLC to snowbird ( super steep, long, and curvy canyon that is often full of snow ) to work at the hotel there. The rav4 has handled this task with grace all year.

I believe that a Subaru, due to it's lower center of gravity, would handle this extreme commute much better. However, you are throwing a head gasket repair at the car every 100,000 miles or so.

Based on what i have read, the rav4 has it's own problem. The manual transmission seems to generally last 200,000 miles or so. Parts availability for the first gen model manual transmissions is fading, and manual transmissions are uncommon for these cars. If you are looking for an automatic transmission model, you are in luck with the rav4.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
With snow performance is all about the right tires.

·
Registered
409 Posts
With snow performance is all about the right tires.
But given the same tyres, a 4x4 will always be better. Then a 4x4 with locking or limited slip diffs.
Also depending on how deep the snow is, ground clearance also comes into it.

ABS is also quite useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts