Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum, thanks in advance for your help! I am looking for a skid plate to protect my new (used) 2010 rav4 on the trails in Washington, and am having a really hard time finding one online. Most of the things I see are "bull bars with skid plates" which may be more than I need, but also look like they dont protect the undercarriage of the car as well as just a metal skid plate would. Is there a particular brand that makes skid plates, or a recommended site that has these types of products? So far, I have only seen a sketchy one from china that doesn't appear to be made of metal haha. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
Whatever you do don't neglect protecting the $1100 worth of EVAP components under the driver's seat floor.

Reactions: Ike Carlson

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Whatever you do don't neglect protecting the $1100 worth of EVAP components under the driver's seat floor.

Toyota should have put a larger plate to protect that area where the hoses are. Those hoses can rip off from a high snow pile that is frozen. Getting water or snow inside the evap cannister can cause malfunction of the unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the tip - i missed a turnoff on a highway and took a quick shortcut through the ditch....snow ripped the crappy plastic shield off and now it's dragging on the road....too cold lately to fix it lol. hope the expensive bits didnt get damaged but i've already driven 700kms since then and no problems.

On the hunt for an aluminum or steel skid plate....hard to find at a fair price.

·
Registered
279 Posts
thanks for the tip - i missed a turnoff on a highway and took a quick shortcut through the ditch....snow ripped the crappy plastic shield off and now it's dragging on the road....too cold lately to fix it lol. hope the expensive bits didnt get damaged but i've already driven 700kms since then and no problems.

On the hunt for an aluminum or steel skid plate....hard to find at a fair price.
Haha, that's what prompted me to get my skid plate! Was off roading, rock caught the plastic cover and ripped it off. Most important off road mod for the rav4, imo. More than tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
to verg
i took my rav 4 off on the beach got stuck and during the pull oy of the sand it ripped my plastic skid plate off
bet thing to do for a quick fix is if you can zip tie it back on till you can get under it
im still waiting for non rainy weather to fix mine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum, thanks in advance for your help! I am looking for a skid plate to protect my new (used) 2010 rav4 on the trails in Washington, and am having a really hard time finding one online. Most of the things I see are "bull bars with skid plates" which may be more than I need, but also look like they dont protect the undercarriage of the car as well as just a metal skid plate would. Is there a particular brand that makes skid plates, or a recommended site that has these types of products? So far, I have only seen a sketchy one from china that doesn't appear to be made of metal haha. Thanks again!

Google: RAV4 skid plate build. There's a video that shows how a fabrication shop builds skid plates for real off-road use. They had to construct a full custom (for the RAV4) steel framework that bolts to four points on the cars frame, then THAT has the heavy gauge aluminum skidplate attached to it. They didn't talk about price, but my guess might be somewhere near $350, but I could be way high or low. Anyway, it looked like a very easy install, just take a bolt out, put in a new bolt from the kit, and repeat this all the way around, keep the bolts all loose until they're all in, then tighten them up in a cross sequence,easy peasy. I wish you luck, performance mods like this are fun, I could care less about bling and electronics, I just want my rigs to run well and go where I point them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Google: RAV4 skid plate build. There's a video that shows how a fabrication shop builds skid plates for real off-road use. They had to construct a full custom (for the RAV4) steel framework that bolts to four points on the cars frame, then THAT has the heavy gauge aluminum skidplate attached to it. They didn't talk about price, but my guess might be somewhere near $350, but I could be way high or low. Anyway, it looked like a very easy install, just take a bolt out, put in a new bolt from the kit, and repeat this all the way around, keep the bolts all loose until they're all in, then tighten them up in a cross sequence,easy peasy. I wish you luck, performance mods like this are fun, I could care less about bling and electronics, I just want my rigs to run well and go where I point them.
That was made for a first gen RAV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Skid Plates for (2006-2012) 4.3 Pics please

I am thinking about getting a skid plate from skid plate guy, via FB. Can anyone please post pictures of their skid plates?
Thank you in advance,
jrm

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I am thinking about getting a skid plate from skid plate guy, via FB. Can anyone please post pictures of their skid plates?
Thank you in advance,
jrm

There are not many places that sell skid plates for our car A few place custom make them if you look very hard on the net.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I bought a proto type skid plate off a member many years ago. We are about to take a road trip with some dirt road driving and I thought I would mount these plates up. Looks like this proto type uses the factory mounting locations the plastic splash shield uses. The only problem is that stock mounting holes use plastic push pins, and though the aluminum skid is pretty light, I don't think the plastic clips are up for the job. I am in the process of installing rivnuts or blind hole threaded inserts into the holes. Though they have their issues, I think they will work in this application. Here is a poor picture of my work the other night. The plate was fitted at one point and there are some rub marks turns out that it must be from the exhaust header as, there is no cut out for it like many of the aftermarket plates have. Thus I am making a cardboard templet to test my cuts. Pictured is the stock plastic SS, Al plate, and cardboard test piece.

Here is the rasta plate with the previously mentioned header cut out.

https://revoperformance.myshopify.com/products/rasta-rav4-skid-plates

The Romanian skid-plate.com

https://www.skid-plate.com/skid-plate-for-toyota-rav-4-2006-2015

Back in my Subi days I recall that a rear diff skid was very popular. And sure enough skid-plate.com had a rear diff plate. Though unlikely that I would trundle a rock large enough to smash the diff, I like fabbing parts.

I found a length of aluminum diamond plate and hacked off a section. Cardboard templet to fit. There are 4 threaded holes on the bottom of the diff M8 1.25. The pattern is not quite square. Here is the start. I have mine extended to the rear so that it rest on the frame. Then a couple of plastic washers to stand the plate off the diff itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What I have interesting about the stock splash shield is that there is an access hatch. One would think that it is located under the transmission drain plug to facilitate AFT changes.

Of course not; it is a LIFETIME fluid. The hatch is intended to access the transmission shift linkage. Wonder how many people have trouble with the linkage or if we are suppose to adjust regularly.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
MrPullman that is one simple skidplate with a slight curve lip. Probably can get an aluminum plate and bend the other end with wood and create the same outcome.

You may want to cut an oil hole or transmission drain hole also.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Bad picture but the plate has 3 bends to it. From my experience locating the mounting holes in the right spot is the tough part. The plate is fairly thick. Whoever made it used a break to make the bends. Would be pretty hard to make these bends cleanly with wood.

I am considering several holes. Oil, ATF and even jack point holes. Concentrating on mounting first. Might not run this plate full time.

For the diff plate I am making I am going to make some bends in it with a vice. The section is only 6" wide so much easier to manage.

I'll post pictures of the outcome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought about having the stock plastic skid plate sprayed with bed liner to sturdy it up as I don’t need a heavy duty plate, but beefing it up a bit would be nice.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I thought about having the stock plastic skid plate sprayed with bed liner to sturdy it up as I don’t need a heavy duty plate, but beefing it up a bit would be nice.
That wouldn't make it any beefier. It would make it heavier, and accumulate dirt easier. Those plastic clips have a hard enough time keeping the OE SS up as is.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts