Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
So i recently purchased 2 sets of LED's for high/low for my aftermarket projector lenses (H1/H7). My high beams are great, i love them! But my low beams seem to have some issues. My main concern is there is a terrible blind spot in the light. They are made to fit in the housing only one way but the bulb itself is able to spin 360 degrees. Is it possible that i need to rotate the bulb 180 degrees? Or maybe they're not projector compatible?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but 99% of all the automotive LED lights are not designed for lens shaped headlights.
Most of the light from the LED is bounched inside the reflector, and only a part comes out of the lens in a usable beam.

I wanted to install LED lights in my lens shaped headlights too, but a true experienced reseller told me this won't work.
In the beginning he sold quite a lot of LED light bulbs, but most customers came back with the same problem you have.
On the internet you will find a couple of happy LED users, even having lens shaped head lights, they are an exeption then.

I do not know why the LED manufacturers did not design the LEDs in such a way that I can work in lens shaped head lights.
It has something to do with the positioning of the LED light sourches which not match with the original bulb glow wires.
Over here in the E.U. these aftermarked LED lights are forbidden on the public road, simply because of this problem.

At this moment Xenon HID lights are the only best alternative. I was advised to take Xenon +50% versions with extra light.
Or maybe you can buy aftermarket RAV4 headlights units with LED modules fixed inside, matched and tuned as a perfect set.
And even when those matched LED headlight modules will be availbale, it probably will be an expensive alternative I think.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i hope you have better luck than me!

So I'm stuck with halogen bulbs then eh?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks good... how is the power draw with the projectors, and does that create issues with a stock wiring harness? I just read the LED conversation in the late model Rav's and everyone seems to be happier than pigs in doo-doo, but here the consensus seems to be that there isn't a good LED option... why the difference?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks good... how is the power draw with the projectors, and does that create issues with a stock wiring harness? I just read the LED conversation in the late model Rav's and everyone seems to be happier than pigs in doo-doo, but here the consensus seems to be that there isn't a good LED option... why the difference?
Not sure about the power draw between stock and hid, but I've read hid is a lower overall draw. It's my understanding that plugging hids into stock wiring will cause issues sooner or later so I have always used a relay harness. Doing that takes the load off the stock wiring and essentially uses it as a trigger. Led bulbs work great in the newer ravs because they have projector headlight housings from the factory. 2006-2012 ravs use a reflector housing and this causes the led or hid light to scatter and be unfocused. Many people do it anyway even tho it's a douche thing to do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can clarify a few things.

• The HID power draw is lower than halogens, but only once the capsule has been powered up. To ignite the salts, it requires a VERY high voltage. Once they are warmed up, then the power draw will reach the low steady state. If an HID ballast trips the fuse, it is typically during the initial power-up phase. OEM wiring for halogens is typically 10 amps per bulb; OEM wiring for HID is typically rated for 15-20 amps.
  • As for LED replacements, OEM projectors can direct the light so that it won't blind people; the shields handle that. However, the light sources are still a different shape. This will will result in unevenly distributed light and dark spots.
  • Another note on LED replacements is sketchy electronics. I tried a couple LED kits myself, and one of them caused interference with multiple FM radio stations.
If you really want to do an LED retrofit correctly, I would suggest baking your headlights open and installing a second hand OEM-LED module, such as the module from the current-gen Corolla.

Reactions: whtbaron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rav4System2, do you care to share how you retrofitted projector headlights onto a reflector housing. Unless you already did in another thread.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rav4System2, do you care to share how you retrofitted projector headlights onto a reflector housing. Unless you already did in another thread.
Pretty simple although it's time consuming. I used a heat gun to warm the headlight sealant enough to take them apart. The projector has a threaded shaft so I cut away enough material from the low beam area to get the shaft thru. Put the washer and nut on the projector, aligned it and then put the housing back together. While not as simply as that it's pretty much the process.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i decided to swap my lights back to halogen for now but I'm still getting the same circle of no light except instead of a half circle that i got with the LED's now it's a full circle. Any idea what the heck is going on?

·
Registered
178 Posts
So i decided to swap my lights back to halogen for now but I'm still getting the same circle of no light except instead of a half circle that i got with the LED's now it's a full circle. Any idea what the heck is going on?

In your first post you wrote that you have projector housings, my guess is that those are crap or you're installing the bulb incorrectly. Use your phone to take a pic of the inside of the headlight. You should see a plate that blocks off half of the projector. If not then go from there. As you can see from my pics on the first page properly working projectors will leave no dark spots.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes i did see that plate when i was playing around with them the other day. They worked awesome when i first put the projectors in but wasn't till i swapped to LED's that i started having problems. I'm thinking during the process i screwed something up but I'm not sure what

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rav4System2, do you use your projectors as High and Low beams? How did you wire them?
I'm going to do it on my RAV4 2008. I also wanna to install Hollo rings as DRL instead of using 9005 bulbs from high beams but not sure how to do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts