Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I have a RAV4 L 1997 that I use as second car along with our 2006 RAV.
We don't own a truck so I'd like to have a flat rood rack for my trips to HomeDepot to carry studs, plywood sheets etc...

All the racks in my budget I've seen so far are really short and have high sides, non-removable. So I'm thinking of building a wooden flat roof rack.

Imagine something like 2 studs used as roof rails (front to rear) with heavy duty anchors to tight straps and a bunch of boards across to create a flat "bed".
Good thing using wood board is that you can design a whole bunch of different attachment systems to adapt the rack to whatever you carry.
If I use the entire roof surface, it can be up to 6' long, not bad at all!

Now my problem is to find a cheap option to link that to the roof... This is where I need help...
So there are 4 fixed mounting points on the roof right? So if I'm right I need 4 "brackets" or "legs" that fit in these holes.
Are they specific to the RAV or are they standard?

I looked online and all I could find are the Thule Fit Kit 3114 ($110 is overpriced if you ask me...) and the TOYOTA Attachment Set Spare (00444-42965-SP), but I'm not even sure it is what I'm looking for, no description on the website! And $70 is still expensive...

Other solution: buy cross bars with the fitting system all included, but I can't find any at a decent price... Anyone selling? Any tips or ideas?

Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want to permanently attach it, you can drop the headliner and run bolts through the roof. Just take out the factory roof rack brackets and use the existing bolt holes. You could also try to find some j-bolts that fit into the factory brackets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric.
I'm afraid of water leaks if running bolts through the roof.
So I ended up buying the "brackets" from Toyota and received them today: wrong ones, they're too big! Hopefully I can send them back... Even though I filtered by model/year etc... they still showed up on the website but turned out to be for another car I guess.
I'm gonna give your idea of J-bolts a try and if I can't find anything I'll have to resign myself to run bolts through the roof... The rack is built and ready, now I want to mount it!!!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I used the roof rails and cross bars from a Pontiac minivan. the crossbars had to be cut to the proper length. I like it, it looks great, I now have movable crossbars and it was only $50.00 US. I did have to drill through the roof but that isn't a problem as I have a 40' diesel pusher motorhome so, I'm used to maintaining through roof fittings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts