Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, been a registered user for some time now and whenever i hav the time to open my computer, i always make it a point to visit this cool site. i have a 1997 rav 4, 2 dr, awd, 1998 cc and thats all i know, i got it second hand just a mo. ago and im still doing some fine tuning, i just have this very bad starting..i had it checked at the service station and they told me it needs tune up, and the two of my sensors ( water temp and crankshaft, i think..codes 12 and 22) are broken, the tune up i had it done but still the problem is persistent, i'll just buy the sensors next time if i already hav the budget, any suggestions?
one more thing, i'm looking for a kind souled rav 4 owner who could give me a copy of my missing owners manual. pls...thanks in advance..
hope to hear or read from you guys and girls.. god bless to all

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guy for replying,....mensajero- my cars odometer reads 142,000 kilometers...do you think those sensors are responsible for my bad starting?
peter pogi- pare, im in Qatar now in middle east..hope we could meet during my vacation next year
thanks guys

·
Registered
542 Posts
ah, ok... pm me your email address & i'll see if i can kick-start my old scanner into life & scan the manual for you sometime (would you like the arabic or english version, my manual has both kc e).. yap, we could meet up one weekend if you like..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello guys, I just recently found this site and I see that this will be the place I'll be hangin for a while :D

I have just bought a second hand 1997 Rav4 AT, and like the thread starter, I too dont have the manual. I was hoping maybe I could also have a copy of the owner's manual.

I'll be posting a different thread for some of the problems I have encountered.

Thanks in advance all. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my e mail add. is [email protected], i hope you will have the extra time. a very nice x-mas gift, not to pressure you or anything. :D and please only in english.thanks peterpogi. God bless

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mr.mensajero......the guru....what do you mean? belt tensor? regarding belts i think they are all in good conditon. i had them checked including the timing belt

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
It was a wild guess. But when timing is off, some times the tensor has lost tension or some parts in that area might have wired out, not installed correctly. Even some people think they can cheat mixing new parts with old parts. Recently, a friends of mine revved an engine so much he popped it out of timing. Popping and creating havoc on the timing, valve train etc.

BTW, don't call me Mr. we are all humble here mate. mensajero is fine. :wink:

Regarding GURU, they are a lot here. I baptized Derek [Hawaii] with this name a few years ago. His work speaks volumes. Come to think of it, I have named a lot of cars here, right Andrew.

Andrew, Moza [Mohit], pete, kidong, Franco, Checho, those are the Gurus. ME!, I'm just looking over the fence and looking at there work. Sometimes I take to long in doing my thing.

Peace to all Mates of Good Will. :lol:

·
Registered
542 Posts
gunblade77, what's your email? i'll try to get it done before x-mass while the wife's in the province.. definitely no time after that coz she's buntis (pregnant) & expects that she'll be the center of my life for the next 7 months or so!!!

my scanner makes smaller .jpeg files than .pdf's for some reason so i'll probably make each page as a seperate .jpeg... you can have fun putting the puzzle together this x-mass.... just got to find where she hid the manual!!

by the way, a bad tensioner bearing makes a kind of whirring or grumbling, grinding sound. it's only a bearing on an arm with a spring! timing sensor is down by the crank pulley on mine (with coil packs) but not sure on the ones with a dizzy. will a slipped belt really affect the ignition timing? is the magnetic pick-up inside the distributor on those models? the rotor only distributed the sparks & if the cams were miss-timed enough to affect the distribution, it wouldn't run at all!!

i do have a question though. i've seen on all the pictures people have taken of '97 engines that they have a distributor on the cam cover. mine say's it was assembled in 1996 on the name plate and i bought it new in 1997... but mine has coil packs and the timing sensor is down on the crank pulley!!! funny ha....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
peterpogi2005 said:
gunblade77, what's your email? i'll try to get it done before x-mass while the wife's in the province.. definitely no time after that coz she's buntis (pregnant) & expects that she'll be the center of my life for the next 7 months or so!!!

my scanner makes smaller .jpeg files than .pdf's for some reason so i'll probably make each page as a seperate .jpeg... you can have fun putting the puzzle together this x-mass.... just got to find where she hid the manual!!

by the way, a bad tensioner bearing makes a kind of whirring or grumbling, grinding sound. it's only a bearing on an arm with a spring! timing sensor is down by the crank pulley on mine (with coil packs) but not sure on the ones with a dizzy. will a slipped belt really affect the ignition timing? is the magnetic pick-up inside the distributor on those models? the rotor only distributed the sparks & if the cams were miss-timed enough to affect the distribution, it wouldn't run at all!!

i do have a question though. i've seen on all the pictures people have taken of '97 engines that they have a distributor on the cam cover. mine say's it was assembled in 1996 on the name plate and i bought it new in 1997... but mine has coil packs and the timing sensor is down on the crank pulley!!! funny ha....
Thanks peterpogi, really appreciate that. Here's my email [email protected] . One of the best Christmas gift for me and my rav : :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
ok, the manual is scanned, but all in .jpeg... total file size is more than 12Mb so i'll be sending it in 1Mb parts. please make sure your mailboxes can handle this coz i don't really want to be downloading it too often!!

standard waiver applies:
1, i'm not responsible for the content of the manual or it's applicability to your car.
2, you use this manual at your own risk.
3, any other thing that you may bust my chops about!

i'll email it to you either tonight or tomorrow from my yahoo.

l8r doods..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the manual peterpogi, just browsed my email today. Now I'll have many things to look forward too this vacation =).

Thanks again !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the manual peterpogi, just browsed my email today. Now I'll have many things to look forward too this vacation =).

Thanks again !

·
Registered
542 Posts
you are welcome.. please don't delete it from your email so you can forward it to anyone else who needs a manual. i didn't save when i sent it to you guys & it took 4ever to download to yahoo!!

thanx ha..

mga tols, enjoy ha.... have a nice x-mass & a happy new year.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tank you peter pogi, you are really heaven sent, i really appreciate the effort. thanks bro. and thank you rav 4 world, this site is really great.
God bless.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i just resent the part 9 (pages 81 - 90) in case i was sleeping & really didn't include it.

hehehe, the old scanner (left to me in fred flintstones will) got a good workout & i'm supprised it didn't start to make strange colors like it usualy does when it gets warm!

enjoy.. merry x-mass

1 - 20 of 27 Posts