Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow toyota lovers....
My wife is after a 4 wheel drive SUV to drive during the winter months to and from work. We had settled on the RAV4 below the $5000 mark....seeing the many issues that some of these vehicles had or may have I have convinced her to double her price range to get a far better vehicle. At the moment she is driving an Echo and is tired of the stadard shift and also the two wheeled worries during the winter. BUT, the fuel consumption is what is keeping me firmly planted when thinking about the next vehicle..lol. Once you get the taste of what is possible, going back is very painful!

So all that aside she wants the 4 wheel drive....augh!

So, now I'm at the last generation model of the RAV4 I believe.
What can you tell me about them and what should I beware of? I want the 4 cylinder engine simply for fuel economy. Her drive to and from work is 1 hour 20 minutes on a clear day! So fuel is going to HURT!

Very sorry for the long post, just like to spill all the beans in one swoop and get it out there so to speak.

What are my best options? Concidering we have the $10,000 limit, now.

You guys are the experts..I'm all ears!

Thank you very much for all your help in advance....as usual.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you're going to get a 4-cylinder RAV4, absolutely go with 2009 or later. The earlier ones commonly burned massive amounts of oil, though if the engine has been rebuilt then the issue may have been fixed.

Note that on the highway, the V6 RAV4 can get slightly BETTER mileage than the I4, as the V6 doesn't have to rev as high and has an extra gear in the transmission to play with. But in city driving the I4 is the clear winner for MPG.

You may also want to consider a used Toyota Matrix, as those were available with an AWD system as well. They were smaller and lighter than the RAV4, yet were still made by Toyota and were rated as getting a bit better MPG than the I4 RAV4. Though I think they only had about 6" of ground clearance.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Matrix... I didn't know thanks 'll suggest it...lol.
Her drive in is 75% highway but the opposite end is stop and go for 1/2 hour.....Hmmmm.... We live in the country so again maybe the V6 is a better option as we do not have to deal with any stop and go traffic.
Thanks again...for the suggestions...and yes I do know about the 08's and down using oil like coke a cola!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
For driving in the snow, GET WINTER TIRES. A FWD car with 4 winter tires is *much* better than an AWD vehicle with "all-season" tires.

AWD won't help you stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has been driving an Echo with 4 snow tires since 2006 with a stick, ditched it 3 times,( all 3 on black ice) with very little damages.....and has logged 500,000 kms....but now she has asked not almost demanded she wants a 4 wheel drive just for the very bad days when the snow is too deep etc etc...so i can't not get it for her. The Echo would never be replaced imho seeing as where it can go with the skills required when outfitted with 4 aggressive snows. But for the 1 hour and 20 minutes she has to drive each way....I'll conceed...besides she wil continue to drive the Echo on the clear days. Once 50MPG gets into your blood....it's near impossible to even concider anything less. If it were up to me, I'd buy up all the Echo's and keep them ready for service for the rest of my days...lol.
There is another twist to this story. I was in a rear end collision which left me with 3 herniated discs in my neck, one now fused and plated but the two remaining ones they won't touch..which also means I can not work without being high on meds....so she is the bread winner so to speak now....so she gets what she asks for ..not demands....lol.

There now you have our story....that is why I'
m asking for your help...to get the best possible vehiclke for her and also keep some resemblance of gas mileage...and the well known Toyota build quailty. Our Echo has needed nothing but minor maintenance, brakes, mufflers, and servicing...minus the ditch damages which i fixed myself. The car is made from pop cans...it can easily be straightened with two hooks in the garage floor...lol.
She's earned the choice of vehicles I think since i haven't worked in 11 years now.

Thanks again for all your help....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts