Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and need some input before trading in my car.

I have a 2015 corolla now which has been great to me but with a newborn it's pretty tight to do anything with the carseat and stroller in the trunk.

I'm looking for some input from people who can tell me first hand if I'd have a comfortable amount of room with 2 carseats (we plan on having another baby in a few years) and a dog (black lab)in the backseat and stroller with groceries and/or a few 50lb bags of animal feed.

Also I live in a rural town where the roads are very very poorly maintained and i live on a dirt road where the corolla bottoms out on the potholes daily and is only plowed 3-4 times in the winter.

Being capable of handling the rough roads and comfort level are big because im almost a 3 hour drive from the nearest big town to get to a walmart or Canadian tire or really anything but a co-op

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hello and welcome! I would look at a Highlander (AWD) or a 4Runner (4WD) in all seriousness. I believe the RAV will be too cramped for your family in the long run. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm new here and need some input before trading in my car.

I have a 2015 corolla now which has been great to me but with a newborn it's pretty tight to do anything with the carseat and stroller in the trunk.

I'm looking for some input from people who can tell me first hand if I'd have a comfortable amount of room with 2 carseats (we plan on having another baby in a few years) and a dog (black lab)in the backseat and stroller with groceries and/or a few 50lb bags of animal feed.

Also I live in a rural town where the roads are very very poorly maintained and i live on a dirt road where the corolla bottoms out on the potholes daily and is only plowed 3-4 times in the winter.

Being capable of handling the rough roads and comfort level are big because im almost a 3 hour drive from the nearest big town to get to a walmart or Canadian tire or really anything but a co-op
Well, I have a one year old and a 2018 Hybrid. Everything fits and we plan on having a second child at some point.

A roof top cargo box is super handy. That can take a stroller out of the trunk and give you so much space! Well worth it.

I'd be a bit worried about the dog in the back seat - but if that setup works for you in the Corolla I guess it would work in a Rav.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Highlander for sure! 1 out of 3 kids still at home now so the RAV4 is perfect for us. A large dog and 2 kids + all the kid gear you’ll really need the xtra room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have a one year old and a 2018 Hybrid. Everything fits and we plan on having a second child at some point.

A roof top cargo box is super handy. That can take a stroller out of the trunk and give you so much space! Well worth it.

I'd be a bit worried about the dog in the back seat - but if that setup works for you in the Corolla I guess it would work in a Rav.
You would be amazed at what the poor corolla has been put through. We have a small hobby farm and when we picked up our pork from the butcher this fall there was me, my wife, my father in law and the dog in the car (none of us are small people) and had 450 lbs of pork between the backseat and trunk.

I live on the cabot trail in cape breton nova scotia where the roads are pretty horrendous so the car did a good bit of bottoming out. Right now I can fit in the back seat of the corolla with the car seat and dog and it's not comfortable but it's not terrible either, he likes sleeping on the floor alot so usually not too bad until the baby cries and he needs to know what's wrong.

I had a roof rack on my old blazer years ago which made hauling gear so much easier camping and stuff so theres really no reason I couldn't do the same with the rav if needed.

Thanks for the input thinking outside the box a bit, if I can get away with the rav I'll probably go with it but still keeping the options open and realistic

·
Registered
164 Posts
You would be amazed at what the poor corolla has been put through. We have a small hobby farm and when we picked up our pork from the butcher this fall there was me, my wife, my father in law and the dog in the car (none of us are small people) and had 450 lbs of pork between the backseat and trunk.

I live on the cabot trail in cape breton nova scotia where the roads are pretty horrendous so the car did a good bit of bottoming out. Right now I can fit in the back seat of the corolla with the car seat and dog and it's not comfortable but it's not terrible either, he likes sleeping on the floor alot so usually not too bad until the baby cries and he needs to know what's wrong.

I had a roof rack on my old blazer years ago which made hauling gear so much easier camping and stuff so theres really no reason I couldn't do the same with the rav if needed.

Thanks for the input thinking outside the box a bit, if I can get away with the rav I'll probably go with it but still keeping the options open and realistic
I know the feeling. I've towed a trailer with my old Yaris (pretty much across Canada) and that hauled so much in that car. The Rav4 is a great choice. Pretty much everyone saying go with a 4Runner for Highlander is American and if we paid their prices for gas and cars I'd probably drive a locomotive.

Do definitely check out the Hybrid Rav4 though. It's pretty awesome!

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 LE
7 Posts
My son had a 2018 RAV4, which I just bought from him. They had a baby in august and already had a 5 year old, a 12 year old and a 17 year old. Between the booster seat and the car seat, the 12 year old was squished between the 2. The 17 year old now has her own car. He said it looked like a clown car when they all got out. He bought a 2019 Highlander and loves it !! Has third row searing and plenty of room in the hatch. I’d go that route if I were you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely RAV4 is too small. For where you are, I'd be looking hard at a used 4-Runner with 4WD. I picked a 1996 up a long time ago for the kids to start driving. It finally died from neglect when kid #6 didn't take care of it (had hit some hard times and refused to ask for help). If you go used, go look at carcomplaints.com and pick the correct year :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a RAV4 (2015) and my other half owns a Highlander (2018.) The Highlander does have more interior space, but most of that is given to the third row bench seat. Good for the dog, maybe, when it is not folded down. The biggest issue I see with your situation will be the road conditions. You will need to get a vehicle that has close to 8 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I own a RAV4 (2015) and my other half owns a Highlander (2018.) The Highlander does have more interior space, but most of that is given to the third row bench seat. Good for the dog, maybe, when it is not folded down. The biggest issue I see with your situation will be the road conditions. You will need to get a vehicle that has close to 8 inches of ground clearance.
Why 8" of ground clearance?

I've ripped through deep snow and down logging roads without issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why 8" of ground clearance?

I've ripped through deep snow and down logging roads without issue.
LOL.

I am replacing a 2006 Hyundai Tucson 4WD. I use a vehicle that must be suitable for my health care patients ( I am a personal care aide ) but also provide me the entertainment/transportation uses for the rest of my time !

The Tucson has 7.6 inches of ground clearance stock, and roughly 8 inches with the all terrain tires. So I know from nearly ten years of experience with the Tucson on farm roads, forest service roads, poorly (if ever!) maintained back country roads, and the odd shallow stream that roughly 8 inches of ground clearance is needed for our uses of the automobile. I have to take into consideration that I have put a gash in the oil pan of a 2009 Ford Edge (at the Mountain Home AFB gunnery range, if you can imagine that) and replaced lost under body shielding on the Tucson (lost somewhere in the Holly Shelter WMA.) I have already scraped the ground in the RAV, and that was a simple pull off to the side of a road. Most all my good stories revolve around some fiasco I have done to my vehicles. I am "Hail on Wheels," in a manner of speaking.

I will be honest that my dream vehicle is the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, but the reputation and reliability of the Renegade do NOT my match my dreams ! So I have to make do with the available options.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need a 4-runner. These things are damn near bulletproof as long as you do your research. Cars are complex systems, so you don't want to buy a new model year. Sure, it will have all the new stuff, but YOU DON'T NEED THAT. You need reliable transportation. Go out to carcomplaints.com and look at the complaint curves on the 4-runner (or you might look at others - up to you). Depending on your budget you should have no issue finding something suitable. Ever watch the car movies where the Army jeep is taking the suvs off road, and they are shaking? Most of the 4-runners really don't get used as hard as what you do. With the savings of not buying new, you could easily put a lift kit, additional shielding, etc with the $$ saved.

I drive a RAV4 - strictly city driving. It does not have the same meat as a 4-runner (had a 96). Wife drives a Sequoia. That's a damn good car too.... but what you are describing, you need a real 4wd. 4-runner all the way... Your dream vehicle - sometimes you need to change your dreams ;) No damn way I'd buy a jeep instead of a 4-runner. Not a chance.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I second what cgilley said above. Get a 4Runner! I would've suggested an FJ Cruiser, but they're no longer being sold here in the US. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I second what cgilley said above. Get a 4Runner! I would've suggested an FJ Cruiser, but they're no longer being sold here in the US. ;)
hadn't even thought of an FJ! but same basic principle applies. We're not dealing with fluff here. I don't know FJs but they can;'t be far from a 4runner.

My 96 4runner was a truck. My first 4wd. Now I live in the Atlanta area so we have snow and ice ever other year, give or take. Mainly I had fwd cars and they did okay in the snow. Then there was that time of snow and I tried my Maxima with FWD. Nope, not happening. So I got the 4 runner and got half way out of the neighborhood with RWD. It was just a test.... backed up, switched to 4WD and MOTORED up the hill. Hysterically fast.

that's the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts