Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- my wife has an 03 Rav4. Her new job takes her on some steep highways and she complains that she can't get over 60MPH. Are there power mods available for the Rav4? I put in a K+N air filter, but that did about nothing.

I'm form the world of turbo Subarus- we have lots of parts to make our cars perform, but I see little on Google searches for the rav4. I'm thinking along the lines of a header, engine management, free flow (but quiet) exhaust, etc. I'm hoping there's something that I can get to bump up the power and torque.

I've searched and found Rav4's with turbo kits, etc. but I want this to just be a slightly more powerful and still reliable vehicle for my wife. We're not thinking along the lines of high flow fuel pumps, higher rate injectors and intercooled turbos- just something somwhat economical with a "bang for the buck" quality to it.

Thanks in advance.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toyota Canada at least has a TRD performance exhaust system available for RAV4(4.2's) at about $900 Canadian that is said(cant find anywhere to confirm) to give you 2-10HP depending. Check for TRD parts available in your area.

Also, if she is in overdrive with auto she may have to disable it or if a manual she may have to gear down to 4rth though that rev's the engine.

I forget the maximum speed in each gear but the manual has them somewhere. The overdrive and 5th gear is made for cruising on the highway but not going up steep inclines. If the manual doesnt have it you could ask a toyota tech at a dealer and they could tell you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- it's a stick and she's a very good driver, so I'm sure she's rev matching and downshifting. 2-10hp isn't much for 900, so maybe a customo jobbie is in order.

No headers out there? Engine management?

·
Registered
396 Posts
For the 2003, like mine, you can get the Weapon R Secret Weapon intake(readily available), the Power Enterprises Camcon II (air/fuel, VVTi controller)(also readily available) and the Tanabe Cat-back exhaust( discontinued-so maybe custom job would be a better choice).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you like the Weapon R Secret Weapon intake? Do you notice any power difference, or just intake noise?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts