Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a good source for power [ACC, +12VDC] to run a DVD player, screens and other items.

Found the one in the upper console for my auto dimming mirror, but would like to find a better source either in the engine compartment or elsewhere.

I found sources on the drivers side fuse panel, but I'm not sure if this is a good place to tap (I used it to install my Sirius though).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was thinking also - I just don't want to exceed the 135W limit. Not sure what my mobile espresso machine requires :lol: (anyone see that episode of The Simpson's where Homer has all these appliances plugged in?).

I was hoping that the RAV has something like my car with a Terminal Block that I could wire/tap into. Makes adding accessories a lot easier.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
There's probably something useful like you're looking for as well... I just don't have the electrical manual for the '06 yet to verify... I have a 4.2 set if anyone's looking to buy them though! :D

C

·
0 Posts
Johnny said:
I was hoping that the RAV has something like my car with a Terminal Block that I could wire/tap into. Makes adding accessories a lot easier.
It wouldn't be hard to do yourself. Add a line from the battery and put a relay in it that is switched from a cig lighter socket.

P

·
0 Posts
karrock said:
You could tap off of the leads to any one of the three 12V "cigarette lighter" power outlets (front console, center console, cargo area).
So would one simply try to get "behind" one of these "lighter sockets" and solder or crimp (vampire clip?) into each of the two leads (1-hot 1-ground)? Or is there something more involved than this than meets the eye?

(Actually, I'm asking with installing my Garmin i5 GPS in mind - which has minimal electrical draw since it can run off 2 AA-batteries ... so I'm assuming I simply cut the wires off the very of the cord right next to the plug end on the power cord cable).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Be sure to fuse

If you are planning to do that, be sure to fuse the line. Cutting off the DC adaptor will eliminate the fuse protection that was in it.

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Be sure to fuse

Thanks for this essential point! Would keeping the DC adaptor live do the trick, or does one need to add a separate fuse protector for another device tapped into the same circuit? :?:

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is good practice to have each item fused. Another thing is that you can only draw so much power from the 12 V supply (via cigarette adaptor). I believe the total draw it can handle through the cigarette adaptor is 10 amps the most. And I am not sure if the other two cigarette adaptors are spliced from that one line and share the total draw or are they all separate and have their own fuse.

If you plan to draw that much power, I highly recommend running a heavy gauge wire straight to the battery and fuse that line as well. That way you have a dedicated power line for your DVD and other heavy duty electronics. The downside to this is that if you leave any of these items on, it will drain your battery.

P

·
0 Posts
sko580 said:
If you plan to draw that much power, I highly recommend running a heavy gauge wire straight to the battery and fuse that line as well. That way you have a dedicated power line for your DVD and other heavy duty electronics. The downside to this is that if you leave any of these items on, it will drain your battery.
good advice - but just to clarify, in my case I'm talking about connecting a Garmin GPS - which can run on 2 AA batteries otherwise - so I'm ASSUMING this little device consumes a minimal amount of juice. May I assume the fuse on the circuit that's already present for the lighter plug would be sufficient to protect this little electronic device?

... alternatively, perhaps I should just put up with either the wires from the plug-in DC adapter or keep cramming fresh rechargeable batteries in the GPS. I do have a set of rechargeable NiMH batteries and a recharger that plugs into a cigarette lighter - so I guess I could use the plug inside the front console box (next to the AUX audio jack ... just keep an extra set of batteries recharging in there 'til needed. :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Better to place a fuse on the Garmin line. The cigarette lighter jack may have a 10 amp fuse protecting it, but what you want is a .5 or 1 amp fuse to protect your Garmin.

Right now I am too chicken to do any hardwiring on the new RAV4. The girlfriend won't be able to take it either. The break in period is going to have to be 6 months. However what I did was plug in a small three splitter cigarette adator and hid the box in the holding area which is located in front the shift gear and below the AC controls. I now have both the Magellan Roadmate 700 and Sirius radio attached to it.

I will have photos soon enough to show the installation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pics now Available in Album

Pictures with the Sirius Starmate and Magellan Roadmate GPS are now in my album.

Enjoy.

-Sidney

S

·
0 Posts
How to get behind the lighter?

PghRAV4 said:
karrock said:
You could tap off of the leads to any one of the three 12V "cigarette lighter" power outlets (front console, center console, cargo area).
Great tip, and it makes we want to replace the front console cigarette lilghter with an adapter for additional devices. (My 99 2-door doesn't have any other power access that I've found;-) So.. any tips for how to get behind that plastic around the console? How can I get back of that drop down door with the small coffee holders where the cigarette lighter is hidden? Any tips would be much appreciated. Are there manuals that would get specific about clips for the trim, etc.?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The panel with the "cigarette lighter" and the switch blanks above the cup holders can be easily removed by hand. Work your fingers in behind the top and gently coax it out. I tapped another fused 12V outlet into the "lighter" wires to plug in the charger running to my mobile phone cradle on the dash. Very easy to get to and there's a fair amount of room behind that panel for stowing a charger, extra outlet, and wires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts