Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have a 2010 Rav4 4cyl 4wd with 130k miles. I am a DIY'r. I've read through the owners manual but fail to see any sort of recommended intervals for the following...

- Adjust Valves
- replace Timing Belt
- replace Drive belt
- transmission fluid change
- spark plugs
- fuel filter
- rear differential
- transfer

Do you guys like the chilton or haynes book on this one?

any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The schedules should be in your owner's manual, so seek one out. (The scheds can differ by country.)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I got two manuals with my RAV4, a thin quick read and a thick detailed one. I'll be in the vehicle later today and will check them out.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
- Adjust Valves--------- not required
- replace Timing Belt---chain, no belt
- replace Drive belt----inspect closely, replace as needed. Certainly by 80K.**
- transmission fluid change--Toyota says lifetime but 60K seems to be the longest one should go initially. Then 30K after that. *****
- spark plugs-------------100-105K miles
- fuel filter---never, it's in the fuel pump in the gas tank
- rear differential------others will advise
- transfer---------------others will advise

*****From forum members accumulated information. Multiple drain & fill preferred over flush.

**My own estimation based on forum input. Some swear by every 30K period.

Brake system flush should be done every three years in both my opinion and that of Honda. Toyota has no recommendations. Both of ours had a nice firm pedal after this was done, better than prior.

Reactions: Nimbus

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Rear differential and transfer case oil change around 40,000 miles. Using synthetic 75W 90 gear oil will have better temperature range.

Toyota never mentions changing the brake fluid but should be changed every 2-3 years. Use a brake fluid tester ($8 from Ebay) and it will tell if the brake fluid has a high level of moisture. Brake fluid should be a clear light yellow color.

Caliper slide pins often forgotten even by mechanics should be cleaned and applied new silicone grease every 2 or 3 years.

I have the Haynes book and I think it is better than the Chilton. Good to have but so many things that are not in this manual. The tune-up section and the torque settings are the good thing about this book. Most of the things you need to fix your car can be found here in this forum. I wish this forum organized things more better so you can find things easier. Over at the Toyotanation in the Highlander forum finding things is a dream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts