Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2014 for a year and it needs new wiper rubber. The only threads I find here are three years old. The stock assembly has better aerodynamics than aftermarket. I know the inserts are replaceable but my local dealer does not stock them. Anybody have a link to buy just the inserts? Thx.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Who says stock are better? Not me. I use Bosch blades throughout our two seasons of Winter and Other and they are just fine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got tired of spending $70 Cdn for a Volvo wipers for a V70 wagon.
- good but drive side never had enough downward pressure, on the next pair purchased

I learned that BOSCH ICONS was 1/2 the price, and always kept the glass streak free.
- now their all I buy / got them on a Silverado / RAV4 / 4Runner
- on my vehicles, for 2 years now / BOSCH still good as new

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who says stock are better? Not me. I use Bosch blades throughout our two seasons of Winter and Other and they are just fine.
I'm not familiar with the Bosch. Most of the replacements around here (Goodyear at Costco, Trico, etc.) have zero aerodynamics. The frame is just open, or there's no frame and the blade is left to hug the window by it's own manufactured curve. The stock frame has rigid support for its entire length and that frame clearly has aerodynamic design features.

But mostly, due to cost, and significantly due to environmental respect, I HATE throwing away a perfectly good frame when all it needs is new rubber. So I'm happier is I can replace just that piece.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I've spent a small fortune trying aftermarket blades, it's a real crap shoot, Trico Exact fit used to be real good, but the last pair I bought were crappy, at least with OEM refills I know I'm getting a good product and they're not expensive, they've always worked well.

The key is the part number. Once you have that you can just plug it in Amazon and get right to the part you need. Free shipping with Amazon Prime. Thx.

You're preaching to the choir, I've been an Amazon member since 2003, their prices go up and down regularly, those refills are $9 and $11 each right now, about the same or more shipped price as on ebay, IIRC they were $14 or so on Amazon when I checked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're preaching to the choir, I've been an Amazon member since 2003, their prices go up and down regularly, those refills are $9 and $11 each right now, about the same or more shipped price as on ebay, IIRC they were $14 or so on Amazon when I checked.
I paid $43 for two sets for the front plus CA tax. Passenger side slightly cheaper than driver's. Remember when all wipers were the same and you could go to any gas station and get refills for $0.99? Dating myself...

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I paid $43 for two sets for the front plus CA tax. Passenger side slightly cheaper than driver's. Remember when all wipers were the same and you could go to any gas station and get refills for $0.99? Dating myself...

I just bought two OEM front sets on ebay, one for my HV and a set for the wife's Prius, for $33.28 shipped, no tax. :cool:

Yup, been retired for 15yrs, remember gas wars and green stamps!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gads. And Blue Chip stamps too. What was the first price you paid for gas? I recall about $0.32 for me. BTW, highest I've ever paid is $6.05 at Furnace Creek in Death Valley about 4 years ago. But I needed only two gallons in the Harley... ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
About $0.30 a gallon when I first started driving, gas war prices went into the teens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you looked at any of the rain-x wipers? Got a set for a volvo and ford taurus and they were always streak free even in Iowa winters!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts