Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just jumped into the RAV4 world with a 2010 2.5L “4x4” with 108k. The short and long term plan is a travel/camping vehicle and daily driver. Originally was thinking Tacoma…but MPGs and the creativity of building out the inside of the RAV4 interest me. I do plan to do some back roads/mountain driving but not rock crawling…my style is mellow. Looking forward to receiving advice and helping out where I can.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome

From a car on huge tires and lifted, dont lift it :)
Only the v6 should get huge tires from what I hear. And all the lift that move the links with steel plates get shaky on acceleration

·
Registered
144 Posts
We bought our 2012 fwd seven years ago just before retiring. Been on numerous back roads trips with our bikes packed inside. We never configured it to camp inside but have camped with a tent and now pull a small 60s 500lbs tent trailer. We've been over some pretty rough roads including crossing some small streams. Great versatile vehicle, take care of it and you'll have years of happy trails!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We bought our 2012 fwd seven years ago just before retiring. Been on numerous back roads trips with our bikes packed inside. We never configured it to camp inside but have camped with a tent and now pull a small 60s 500lbs tent trailer. We've been over some pretty rough roads including crossing some small streams. Great versatile vehicle, take care of it and you'll have years of happy trails!
Thanks for sharing ..interesting to know about the towing capability. And I do know FWD is pretty good for most situations..plus you are saving just that much more gas.
Welcome

From a car on huge tires and lifted, dont lift it :)
Only the v6 should get huge tires from what I hear. And all the lift that move the links with steel plates get shaky on acceleration
yes..Im good with stock height and tire size. I’ll see about weight after building the inside . ..and weight of gear and then see if any sagging in the back if heavier springs are needed. I see Honda CRVs with their back wheel, when over loaded,bowed out..have not seen that on RAV4s. I’m also going to be taking the back seats out - or at least the bigger of the two and save weight there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for sharing ..interesting to know about the towing capability. And I do know FWD is pretty good for most situations..plus you are saving just that much more gas.

yes..Im good with stock height and tire size. I’ll see about weight after building the inside . ..and weight of gear and then see if any sagging in the back if heavier springs are needed. I see Honda CRVs with their back wheel, when over loaded,bowed out..have not seen that on RAV4s. I’m also going to be taking the back seats out - or at least the bigger of the two and save weight there.
Third gen has something called 3rd row springs you can get for under $100 aftermarket new from Moog (maybe others). I havent installed mine yet but it's an oem height and load rating which sounds applicable for what you want. 3rd row springs are available on amazon and elsewhere.

Reactions: Eyebuzz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Love that light interior. We've got an 06 white with black interior as a second car and I'm so tired of it. So much so we bought a Tiguan in 19 with the light grey interior. 210K miles with the 4 banger and the oil consumption problem that's been there 10 years. Still purring along just fine. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Eyebuzz

·
Registered
2012 RAV4 V6 4x4
2 Posts
Just jumped into the RAV4 world with a 2010 2.5L “4x4” with 108k. The short and long term plan is a travel/camping vehicle and daily driver. Originally was thinking Tacoma…but MPGs and the creativity of building out the inside of the RAV4 interest me. I do plan to do some back roads/mountain driving but not rock crawling…my style is mellow. Looking forward to receiving advice and helping out where I can.

View attachment 177845

·
Registered
2012 RAV4 V6 4x4
2 Posts
Great minds think alike - I’m picking mine up Saturday: 2012 V6 4X4 with 34K and...it’s gold. I have a 2011 Honda Element 4x4 I use for camping (swapped out the stock tires for bigger A/Ts) but this RAV4 might take its place (although the Honda is definitely easier with a muddy dog). Everyone has asked me why I didn’t buy a new RAV4, but the song remains the same - new isn’t always better (I wanted the V6). I’d love to see pics as your conversion progresses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks - I know fwd can do great things - plus you save some mpgs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great minds think alike - I’m picking mine up Saturday: 2012 V6 4X4 with 34K and...it’s gold. I have a 2011 Honda Element 4x4 I use for camping (swapped out the stock tires for bigger A/Ts) but this RAV4 might take its place (although the Honda is definitely easier with a muddy dog). Everyone has asked me why I didn’t buy a new RAV4, but the song remains the same - new isn’t always better (I wanted the V6). I’d love to see pics as your conversion progresses.
Nice - only 35K miles!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts