Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
237 Posts
1. Very high oil consumption.
2. Rear shocks tend to fail early.
3. If it's 4WD, the center coupler is prone to failure. It can't be repaired and a new one costs $900 + labor.
4. Idiotic recall which epoxies the rear toe links to prevent corrosion, but then prevents any ability to align the rear wheels in the future.

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
STAY CLEAR OF IT! Look for a 2009 or newer with the 2.5l engine. You are asking for trouble, begging for it even.

·
Registered
370 Posts
1. Very high oil consumption.
2. Rear shocks tend to fail early.
3. If it's 4WD, the center coupler is prone to failure. It can't be repaired and a new one costs $900 + labor.
4. Idiotic recall which epoxies the rear toe links to prevent corrosion, but then prevents any ability to align the rear wheels in the future.
You left out the "clunky" steering and the higher-than-average failure rate of the JBL radio (since the OP was asking about a Limited) >:D

However....

It could be, with a vehicle of this age, that many (if not all) of those failures have already occurred and have been rectified. Maintenance/repair records would be a must.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As the other posts indicate, there are known common issues with the 06-08 2.4 motors as well as other issues. Do a through background check via the Toyota owners website by checking the VIN number for repairs done by Toyota. If the major issues have already been fixed, its worth considering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a 2006 Saturday for my daughter for college. Figured it would need $500-$700 to get fluids, filters, etc. done. Little more as we have a leaking front axle seal and a timing chain tensioner seal leak, but all in all feel it will be a good vehicle for her to drive through college.

She's doing an engineering co-op with Toyota's manufacturing headquarters beginning in August so why not. :)

Feff

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Teach her to check the oil--early and often--like at every gas fill-up. If you detect oil burning, the 2006 only has this year to get it fixed under the enhanced warranty, so get a check at the dealer ASAP if you suspect anything.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Just bought a 2006 Saturday for my daughter for college. Figured it would need $500-$700 to get fluids, filters, etc. done. Little more as we have a leaking front axle seal and a timing chain tensioner seal leak, but all in all feel it will be a good vehicle for her to drive through college.

She's doing an engineering co-op with Toyota's manufacturing headquarters beginning in August so why not. :)

Feff
Well perhaps she'll have an "in", if there's ever a problem?>:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Teach her to check the oil--early and often--like at every gas fill-up. If you detect oil burning, the 2006 only has this year to get it fixed under the enhanced warranty, so get a check at the dealer ASAP if you suspect anything.

Took it to the dealer for oil, differential and transfer case fluid changes. Also needed a front axle shaft seal.

We were told to come back soon for the "oil test" so we'll drive it a while (going to see if it burns oil on my own) then take it back for the official dealer test.

Feff

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...We were told to come back soon for the "oil test" so we'll drive it a while (going to see if it burns oil on my own) then take it back for the official dealer test.
Good man. In case the dealer didn't spell it out: in the U.S, the Primary extended warranty which covers all 2006-2008 4-cyl RAVs regardless of mileage ends this October 31st. Then the Secondary coverage kicks in which is 10-years from date of first use or 150k-miles whichever comes first.

Gives you some time to evaluate, hopefully you won't even need it. Let us know how you fare.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I had a 2006 four cylinder that went 125K miles and purred like a kitten. ONLY major issue was some worn out rubber cup on some axle drive shaft part thingy or something that cost $700 to replace, cup and axle part thing and all. That's it. I had none of the other issues listed above. She drove like a dream and sold her solely because I wanted a power upgrade to my current 2009 V6 which has similarly been great and free of large scale maintenance or repair. Have 83K on her so far. When these RAVs run well... they REALLY RUN WELL. Guess it's luck of the draw.... or so it seems.

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
Guess we scared off the one post wonder.........

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
237 Posts
Yeah, looks like he's moved on.

Despite everything, I still think the RAV4 is the best vehicle for our needs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts