Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am looking into buying a used 2015 rav4 with 75K miles awd.

This will be my first Toyota and i am looking for any knows issues with it (engine power train etc). i am doing 80 Miles everyday (40+40). I am mechanically inclined to do work on it myself but looking to iron out issues first and start saving for when the problems arise.

Tim

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey Metallic, cold weather package.
191 Posts
With this mileage it won't last very Long

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that’s why I am looking into possibly rebuilding a engine after a while. Are the rav4 2.5 engines worth rebuilding? I am thinking on doing the rebuild myself after a while to squeeze more miles out of it.

Tim

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
117 Posts
Have no reason to think the RAV4's engine would need a rebuild at 75K miles.

Every Toyota we've ever had (see my signature) has gone over 200K without an engine problem. Other parts, like a water pump once, yes. But not the engines! (y)

EDIT: Well, the 2018 RAV4 hasn't hit that many miles yet.
Only 30K in 18 months. ;)

Reactions: Chief Pontiac

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you haven't purchased yet put on lift and check for any leaks. I know these vehicles have great reputations but we purchased a 2015 Limited with 46K this spring, and have had transmission replaced (after trans. pump seal replaced multiple times) due to a very small trans. fluid leak. We were very fortunate we noticed the problem and it was still under the powertrain warranty. Toyota remanufactured transmission is $4K plus 12-16 hours labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't purchased yet put on lift and check for any leaks. I know these vehicles have great reputations but we purchased a 2015 Limited with 46K this spring, and have had transmission replaced (after trans. pump seal replaced multiple times) due to a very small trans. fluid leak. We were very fortunate we noticed the problem and it was still under the powertrain warranty. Toyota remanufactured transmission is $4K plus 12-16 hours labor.
Thanks a lot for the heads up will certainly do.

I am still looking. Had a lot on my plate recently with weekend is long so will shop then.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I attached a photo of what to look for. We had local mechanic put on a lift before we bought it, and identified the drip to the dealer (a VW dealer). They thought they fixed, it leaked, they tried again, it leaked. Brought to Toyota, they honored the powertrain warranty even though VW dealer worked on it. The fix was to replace transmission, but replacement also leaked. Dealer said issue was with casting of the transmission and fluid leaking through seals. Given it happened twice I have to think there was a bad batch an I got 2 or them. I don't see many others on the forum reporting this problem so maybe we were just unlucky. As of last week I think they finally got it right. The bottom of housing is bone dry for the first time since we bought the car. If we hadn't had mechanic check out we likely wouldn't have noticed the issue until after powertrain warranty expired. Good luck searching! Wife really likes the car in spite of issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
With the kind of daily mileage you are doing, why not a new Corolla? The price of a new Corolla LE cant be that far from a 2015 Rav4 with AWD. With a new Corolla you will have all of the latest safety items, an up to date infotainment system, 35MPG, and a long term warranty.

Hi Guys,

I am looking into buying a used 2015 rav4 with 75K miles awd.

This will be my first Toyota and i am looking for any knows issues with it (engine power train etc). i am doing 80 Miles everyday (40+40). I am mechanically inclined to do work on it myself but looking to iron out issues first and start saving for when the problems arise.

Tim

·
Registered
Rav4 LE 2017, 4Runner TRD ORP 2020
13 Posts
With the kind of daily mileage you are doing, why not a new Corolla? The price of a new Corolla LE cant be that far from a 2015 Rav4 with AWD. With a new Corolla you will have all of the latest safety items, an up to date infotainment system, 35MPG, and a long term warranty.
I second buying a new car instead of used if you can... I was also looking into getting a Corolla with manual transmission, but Toyota made a change. Normally you can get manual on the lower models, not anymore, you have to get the "sport" version which is a higher model, just to get manual tranny.. and also the new corolla's have very low clearance, it's like sitting 6 inches above the road. . I prefer the height of the previous models.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD
66 Posts
My 2014 has @ 69k miles and the only problems I had were door lock actuators failing. I have changed the brakes once. Replaced the battery last year. Replaced the tires 4 months ago. Just replaced the key fob battery today (battery part # CR2016). Other than that ... just regular oil changes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know that’s why I am looking into possibly rebuilding a engine after a while. Are the rav4 2.5 engines worth rebuilding? I am thinking on doing the rebuild myself after a while to squeeze more miles out of it.

Tim
Just change your oil regularly, say every 7,000 miles or once a year and you should never have to worry about an engine rebuild. Toyota knows what they’re doing in both Japan and Canada.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Clean the MAF sensor and maybe clean inside the throttle body too. They sell a seperate spray cleaner for each.

Reactions: Chief Pontiac
1 - 12 of 12 Posts