Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a used RAV4 with the 3rd row. Single mom with 2 kids that enjoy sports and the outdoors! What prices am I looking at if I want to buy from a private seller? What should I be on the lookout for good/bad.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Your largest problem may be finding what you are looking for, so there may not be much choice especially in one's local area. If you find one which interests you the approximate price can be located in Kelly Blue Book online - obviously it will vary by year, model, and condition, and whether it is being sold by a dealer or by a private party. April issues of Consumer Reports publish reliability records going back for several years. Maintenance and any recall work done by a Toyota dealer can be found by going to www.toyotaowners.com , registering, and entering the vehicle's VIN. Also checking on carfax may be a good idea.

If you do find one, you can post details on this thread and members likely will provide lots of feedback, and doing a Search on this forum also will reveal a lot of info. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Do keep in mind that you lose a huge amount of storage space both above and below the floor with the third row option. If you can find one look it over closely as it may not suit your needs at all. The 3rd row in that size of vehicle is like buying shoes one size too small.........it just doesn't work very well. This is my opinion, others disagree. I'm not trying to change your mind just look at both the two & three row then judge, especially the under floor storage in the two row.

One other tidbit.....stay well clear of the 2006-2008 four cylinder models. Many have the same oil burning problems of your Subie but it occurs a bit later on the odometer. 2009 forward is a different engine and suffers no such malady.

Here's a great thread from this forum about the pros & cons of the 3rd row. Concerning kids, post #9 is of interest.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/79556-rav4-3rd-row-worth-2.html

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Follow RTexasF's advice and be happy. The third row seat turns the RAV4 into a cramped less than mini-suv at best. Sorry to write that, but you might be happier looking for a larger vehicle. Only wishing you the best experience, sir.
--
Pico

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Follow RTexasF's advice and be happy. The third row seat turns the RAV4 into a cramped less than mini-suv at best. Sorry to write that, but you might be happier looking for a larger vehicle. Only wishing you the best experience, sir.
--
Pico
SHE not sir. Read the first post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay what about the 2004 RAV4? Their are a few I have seen on Craigslist

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5438567810.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5443247609.html

Both of these are being sold at a small dealership. What do you guys think? I have two children in car seats. We live in ohio so theirs snow right now. I need it to be reliable last a while with no major problems and it will also be my first car.

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5444286720.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5444325138.html

These two are by the same seller.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
The 2.4l four cylinder is a known oil burner/user. That was changed with the 2009 model year by redesigning and going to a 2.5l engine. Any vehicle that is 10 years old or more and 100,000+ miles is going to have its share of problems or repairs needed. Proceed with caution. If your don't know how then learn how to check the oil & fluids on a vehicle. That includes how to add oil and not overfill. This simple thing could be vital to keeping whatever vehicle you get running well.

You cn't really tell by pictures but the first one you linked to seems to be the best of the lot to me......for what that's worth.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
--
Pico
Sorry, but I'm not getting the "cramped less than mini-suv" thing. Yes, if you need the third row for anything more than kiddies, it's not the best option. But when my third row is folded down, my Rav looks no different back there than a two row. All I lose is the space where the seats reside. I have never used my third row, it came that way when I bought it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm working with $5000 . Is it even worth looking to buy a good RAV4 or should I just save for a few more months. I need a car now though!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Okay what about the 2004 RAV4? Their are a few I have seen on Craigslist
2004 was the first model year in North America to use the 2.4L engine that is commonly known to burn lots of oil. So 2004-2008 model year RAV4s with 4-cylinder engines used the 2.4L engine.

2003 was the last model year before that to use the previous (2.0L?) engine, which was not known to commonly have that problem.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
For $5000, I would be looking at 4.2 pre-2004. No third row was available in those.
However, RAV4s at that price will either have 150K miles or be in a pitiful shape.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Even in the U.S. $5000 will not buy what you what you specified in your first post and unless you somehow come across a very undervalued RAV that amount of money will cover only a RAV which has been very much used. That vehicle may also have problems which are either evident or are waiting to occur and probably will be pricey to have repaired.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
As mentioned $5K isn't gonna buy a 2006 or later, the only years a 3rd row was offered, so I'd suggest looking at the second one, the 2004, you linked to. It's listed as "by owner" so you could ask about oil changes and usage. Looks like it's had good upkeep and recent maintenance and with a little off the price you could start a car repair fund. Could very well be a great buy.

The only negatives I can spot are the tire pressure light is on and it has a poor choice in spare tire covers. The light is probably low pressure in the spare so when you take it off to check the pressure you can leave it off until your favorite cover comes.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Kia7,
I see the second linked RAV4, the 2004 for $4800 has been taken down by the lister. Just wondered if you bought it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts