Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got to drive as a loaner vehicle the later model CX-5 and CX-3 models by Mazda during the last year in one of the many times getting the CX-9 worked on. They are both very responsive but not as much pickup as the RAV4. I am 6'3" tall and the CX-5 was the most comfortable of all of them and it has nicer user features.
How is the head room? I'm shorter than you 6' but long in the torso. When I drove a Camry a couple of years ago my head hit the roof handle. Just wondering if you hit it or not? I guess not because you'd have said something. :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
All 2019 / 2020 Rav 4's are slow as molases - in car terms at least. 7.5 seconds 0-60 on the Hybrid, 8. something on the gas I can't remember. Both are slower than most pickup trucks sold today.
gas rav4 is slow for sure, hybrid is plenty quick and you are right, it's dog slow in comparison to most sports cars.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How is the head room? I'm shorter than you 6' but long in the torso. When I drove a Camry a couple of years ago my head hit the roof handle. Just wondering if you hit it or not? I guess not because you'd have said something. :)
My brother is 6’2” he didn’t have any problems. I think the fact that it sits higher than a Camry makes easier to get in and out of.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm 6'1" and have the drivers seat as far back as it will go and elevated because I like a higher seating position. I still have plenty of headroom on a 2019 Hybrid Limited.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When it was time to buy my wife another RAV4, I had the choice of keeping a Jetta Sportwagen with 120,000 miles or her older 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 with 100,000 miles. I'm a life-long VW guy. I kept the 2010 RAV4 and sold my Jetta. So I've got your prior RAV4 and the one you're considering. We bought a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. Compared to the 2010 V6, it's powertrain is much smoother and refined but slightly slower off the line. I love the V6 but the hybrid is amazing. And it gets almost double the mileage of the V6. The 2019 feels nimbler than the 2010 although it's still an SUV. The 2019 is also quieter at highway speeds. Like most here will tell you, the hybrid is well worth the extra cost especially if engine noise is a concern.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When it was time to buy my wife another RAV4, I had the choice of keeping a Jetta Sportwagen with 120,000 miles or her older 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 with 100,000 miles. I'm a life-long VW guy. I kept the 2010 RAV4 and sold my Jetta. So I've got your prior RAV4 and the one you're considering. We bought a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. Compared to the 2010 V6, it's powertrain is much smoother and refined but slightly slower off the line. I love the V6 but the hybrid is amazing. And it gets almost double the mileage of the V6. The 2019 feels nimbler than the 2010 although it's still an SUV. The 2019 is also quieter at highway speeds. Like most here will tell you, the hybrid is well worth the extra cost especially if engine noise is a concern.
Thanks. That's actually very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will try to give you my opinion unbiased.

I've personally added sound deadening material to the entire rear of the Rav4 and it made an ENORMOUS difference.
Hi Sunken, When you say "rear of the car" do you mean all the parts as for your gas model? From what I could see (as far as you are allowed to see on a show room floor) the main difference between a CR-V and a RAV4 in this regard is that the CR-V's spare wheel well is padded, where there is very little padding in the spare wheel well of the RAV. That is what made me think that the spare wheel well is the main contributor to transmitting road noise. I know that on both my 4 dr sedan cars there is a significant increase in road noise from the back when the seat backs are down.

Update. Just read through all your posts on the other thread and found the answer. When I get mine, I will start at the back of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I last had a Rav4 in 2014, having enjoyed my 2007 Rav4 V6 for seven years. I would have stayed in a Rav4 but as you know the V6 option disappeared. I've been in a Jeep Cherokee since (two actually) and while I like many aspects of the Jeep their inept dealers, the annoying 9-speed ZF transmission, unfixable problems with the XM radio and steering wheel heater, small cargo space and low gas mileage have nailed that coffin shut. The Cherokees were leased because I remain wary about the long-term reliability of FCA vehicles. My lease expires in July and I'm looking at coming home to the The Rav4, with the Hybrid.

I really like almost all aspects of the hybrid but have two concerns. I've read all the reviews and watched the Youtube videos but I would appreciate comments from actual owners (or lessees) on the following:

1. Road/wind noise at high speed.
2, Speed off the line and passing power at high speed.

Thanks for any comments.
Bought our first Rav4 Hybrid end of Sept. The wind noise we hear is mainly when the wind is blowing really hard, otherwise it's ok, we can still hear the radio. Off the line or passing is slower than my Escape Eco-boost, I turn the knob to sport driving giving the power to enter the highway or pass.Love the gas mileage, the comfort, the look...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have driven in ECO mode pretty much exclusively and have had no issues accelerating onto highways from merge areas, passing or with any other type driving function related to acceleration. Maybe the roads are better in Maryland, but road noise has not been an issue in my Hybrid Limited. I have driven in states that use a much coarser asphalt mix which I'm guessing would cause more road noise in the RAV4, but I haven't experienced that in my travels to neighboring states.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I last had a Rav4 in 2014, having enjoyed my 2007 Rav4 V6 for seven years. I would have stayed in a Rav4 but as you know the V6 option disappeared. I've been in a Jeep Cherokee since (two actually) and while I like many aspects of the Jeep their inept dealers, the annoying 9-speed ZF transmission, unfixable problems with the XM radio and steering wheel heater, small cargo space and low gas mileage have nailed that coffin shut. The Cherokees were leased because I remain wary about the long-term reliability of FCA vehicles. My lease expires in July and I'm looking at coming home to the The Rav4, with the Hybrid.

I really like almost all aspects of the hybrid but have two concerns. I've read all the reviews and watched the Youtube videos but I would appreciate comments from actual owners (or lessees) on the following:

Thanks for any comments.
I have taken any of the new RAV4's out for a test drive. I think that you will be surprised. I will be getting my RAV4 next year. I will be trading in my Venza which has a V6 in it to the I4. I couldn't believe the power that the I4 had in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once ACC set to 3 car lengths didn't notice big ass white color 18 wheeler standing on a traffic lights, I had to slam brakes myself from about 50 mph, as ACC seems like didn't sense that HUGE object right in front of the car!
Same is happening with standstill smaller cars and trucks at traffic lights at speeds below 40 mph also. Color doesn't matter or at least I haven't spotted any coincidence between color and ACC inability to recognize vehicles right in front of it. It failed for me so many times, so I don't trust it in city anymore.
However It works just fine in moving highway traffic slowing down and accelerating depending on a flow.
Seems like something is wrong with your system, you should bring it in to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty since it is a safety issue

·
Super Moderator
9,221 Posts
Maybe you should pay attention to your driving and don't rely on things like this.
I agree but am not going to tell others how to drive.
While the ACC works extremely well on my '18 Accord I pretty much only use it on the highway and brake as normal on local roads. One reason it that way I can drive my other cars, our RAV4 and Sienna, and two F-250s w/o expecting them to slow themselves down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would appreciate comments from actual owners (or lessees) on the following:

Well, regarding question (2), it sounds like the 2021 RAV4 Prime is what you might want, with 302 hp and oodles of torque from the electric motor -- promises to be more powerful, more quickly accelerating, and more gas frugal (if you can plug in nightly at home) than any other RAV4 out there ... not to mention very affordable with the $7500 federal tax credit (plus any relevant state rebates) that is not available to non-plugin RAV4 buyers.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts