Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 1996 2dr 5spd....I'm wanting to change the rims and tires. I want something with more deep dish...thinking about something like this:

American Racing Custom Wheels AR23 Satin Black Wheel With Clearcoat (15x7"/5x114.3mm, -6mm offset) on amazon

or this:

Pro Comp 98 Gloss Black Wheel (15x7"/5x114.3mm) on amazon

(i can't post link cause my post count is too low) these look like steelies

my question is: what would be the ideal rim size....offset....backspacing....etc. I would like 15's or 16's.....I wouldn't mind if the wheels stuck out a tad more.....maybe slightly bigger tire size....225/75?

Thanks for the input. Open to recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Have you seen any of these on other 4.1 RAV4s?

·
Registered
621 Posts
From what I hear, most 15 inch rims won't clear your brake calipers.
If you have the stock 215/70R-16 tires then going to a 225/70R-16 would be a slight increase in size, changing 2 numbers at a time is a compound change in size. First number is the width of the tire tread, second number is the ratio of the sidewall height to tread width.

These are a 225/70R-16 with a slight negative offset, not as fancy as what you are looking at, just $60 for 4 new rims.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/att...se-winter-tires-fit-my-1998-rav4-img_0075.jpg

·
Registered
409 Posts
Try and keep the offset to 35 - 40 You can go less to stick out a bit more, but it starts affecting steering feel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you roundabout and slim jim for your messages.

Thanks for the pic roundabout. I would of thought that wheels with a negative offset would have stuck out a bit more?? Where can you get those rims for $60? That's a good deal.

I just realized that my lexus stock wheels may fit. They are 5 spoke chrome from a 98 GS300. It says 16 x 6.5 50 on the wheel .....so I think a 50 offset. The tires are new 215/60/16. Would these fit? I guess they would stick in a little more and the car would be a bit lower to the ground....this would affect my speedometer reading too yeah? Could i run a different tire size with these wheels?

so i will stick with 16" ..... thanks for the replies guys. I have the only 2 dr rav4 on my island!

Aloha from Kauai

1 - 5 of 5 Posts