Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Rav4 6 cylinder model. I currently have a Subaru Forester with over 225K and looking to replace it. I bought a 2010 Rav4 for my work and now I am looking at one for myself. I came across a 2008 with 75K on it and was wondering if there are any issues with the 2008 models and what if anything is the big difference from model years? I am towing a trailer with a ATV and would prefer the 6.
Any intel would be appreciated!0:)

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
There are three chronic service issues that come to mind that affect the V-6:

1. The oil hose. Read the sticky at the top of this forum. Hopefully it has been replaced by now but if not, it should be done pronto.

2. Water pump failures. Search through this forum and the "4.3 Mechanical" forum to see how the issue has affected others.

3. Transmission whine. This does not affect the performance or overall reliability but can be very annoying. Again search the forum.

Good luck with your RAV search!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi folks. I am intersred in a 2008 V6 base. I am coming from Subaru Foresters which have known head gasket (expensive) issues. I am looking to transition from the Forester to a Rav4. I am liking the V6 for towing but wanted some feedback if I am much better off with a 09 04 10 or if the 08 has had all the recalls done (which the dealer says the car fax shows that), if that is good to go with.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
The 2009-12 also has better sound proofing.
The base steering wheel buttons in the 2009-12 are easily upgradable. The 2006-2008 have no button in the SW on the base or sport.

Transmission whine could happen in any V6 from 2006-2012; just have to watch out for it during the test drive.

Steering column comes to mind; you might want to read up on that too.

Basically, I would buy something 2009-2012.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought mine 2008 v6 ( last car was a forester xt) and looked at quite a few diff rav4's , look for the cleanest low mile one you can find and afford check for rust and recalls ... I ended up buying a 08 with 130k on it and it's still tight with a newer tranny ( no whine) first time I floored it I had a big smile haha

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
... I ended up buying a 08 with 130k on it and it's still tight with a newer tranny ( no whine) first time I floored it I had a big smile haha
Still loving our '06 V6 Limited after 6 years with 125K on it now (also replaced a Forester) and I still get a big smile EVERY time I floor it, w/o the wife riding shotgun that is. :wink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts