Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Looking to put in a new radio!!!

15K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mansood 
I got the Joying Quad core GPS unit for RAV4 with 1024x600 Resolution screen. I am loving the product. It also integrates with the dash so well and looks so OEM (you can even set it to have an animated Toyota Logo and amber back lighting). If you don't have JBL, it is so plug and play that you can install it in under 30 minutes. It also supposedly works with steering wheel controls which you can program to perform any function. I do not have steering wheel controls on my 08 base v6 so I am not saying this from experience. With JBL stock audio, I believe you require another intermediate device??

Yes the Joying/Klyde/Random chinese brand "HuiFei" units are not from some reputable brand like JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer but you are pretty much getting an android tablet in a head unit which has nearly infinite potential with hardware and software upgrades. I wasn't expecting a lot for a price point of ~350 USD+ shipping/customs/tax but I have been very impressed. I expected the interface to be very confusing similar to an android phone with tons of useless apps. However it is very neat and easy to use. In the end you get a GPS/DVD/Bluetooth/Backup-Camera Input Device with a lot more

User 'getrav' posted his review of a nearly identical unit in the thread below:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/177033-android-head-unit-huifei.html

The following youtube video showcases my unit. I believe the guy in the video is possibly "Rambo", the guy who has been my all-in-one point of contact from sales to prompt technical support. Rambo is awesome:

GPS:
Having been a regular user or Tom Tom & Garmin units before switching to wonderful almighty Google maps on my phone, I wansn't sure what to expect with the GPS of the unit. However, iGo is an amazing GPS software that I can depend on. The more I use it, the more I like its interface. The maps even have 3D building data in many areas. The retailer also has updated maps for North America. Since the unit is android, you can also use google maps but it would require an active internet connection on the go (via 3G USB dongle or portable hotspot). The unit catches signal very quickly (within few seconds). Even though I hid my GPS antenna by sticking its magnetic base to the metallic cross member behind the radio, the unit catches GPS signal much faster than my standalone Garmin/Tomtom units.

Storage and Media Expansion:
Did I mention that the unit has two fully functional micro SD slots, 2 fully functional full sized USB ports that you can terminate in your glove box, and 1 micro-USB port, all in addition to 16GB internal storage, a DVD loader and a free 8gb high speed micro-SDHC maps card? This offer a LOT of storage space options. The music player can even isolate the sources by peripheral so u can have all your favourite songs on one USB stick for your trips and anyother drivers could have their own preferred song collection.

Apps:
Pretty much any android app can be downloaded from the play store. The Wifi antenna is strong enough that when, I am parked outside home, I can use youtube to watch videos over home-wifi.

Interface with external Devices:
There is RCA input for backup camera which turns-on based on input to the reverse signal wire (typical of most head units). You can also impose guidelines on backup camera input and if you see my post on getrav's review thread, I believe I am close to figuring out how to modify the guidelines to match your camera setup. There are also external AV-in and out for external video devices and dual headrest monitors. The unit came with a good quality wired mic that I installed behind my rear view mirror. There is a some static noise becuase installing the external mic doesn't disable the internal mic but there are some hardware mods described online to disconnect the internal mic for clearer bluetooth calls. Other than the static noise, the external mic has no volume issues and the caller can hear me even when I am talking softly. There is remote control too but it didnt come with a coin battery because of air-plane regulations. The USB ports can be used to add 3G USB dongle and DVR. There is also an amp wire.

Community and Developer support:
I am honestly very surprised to get very prompt response from the retailer. You don't even get such support from reputable brands nowadays. You may take a look at the after-sales support page below. Of course, English is not their first language but they try their best:
Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Joying head unit after-sale support Android In-Dash Android GPS navigation | carjoying.com

The best part is that the unit is a variant of the "HuiFei" android units which has 4 major hardware variants regardless of seller. The latest greatest should be the quad core unit with 1024 x 600 screen. These HuiFei models exist for many car models in addition to being offered as a universal 2DIN unit. There are tons of users with thousands of pages of posts discussing HuiFei models on xda forums. The best part is that a great Russian developer named Malaysk has made a lot of contribution in improving the software of all 4 HuiFei variants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.