Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After countless hours of research.. i came to conclusion that RAV4 4.4 is totally neglected. Such a poor aftermarket, almost zero. No suspension upgrades, no decent cold air intakes, superchargers, etc.. basically nothing.. I wonder why? 4.4 gen has been out for... 4 years by now? Unless there is no interest in those components at all. :frown

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Of course not. It's a grocery getting child hauler. What percentage of rav4 owners do you think want to add a super charger and how would that translate to money well spent for a company to R&D and manufacture etc?

I believe there is a CAI for it but the rav4 already takes in cold air.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If there was a market for it, the parts would exist. I doubt many would consider making their grocery getter a Hellcat fighter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That could apply to any previous generations of grocery getters, no? :) 4.2 and 4.3 had decent aftermarket.
If i could get 2" OME lift kit for 2017, i`ll buy it the heartbeat, i am sure some other would too. This little thing is pretty capable as a small recreational vehicle, just need a little more clearance and better suspension. But i see your point..

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The 4.4 RAV marks the completion of the generational transition of the RAV from actually being a RAV with the 4.1 to 4.4 soccer mom mobile and daily smooth paved road commuter "crossover." People who want an original RAV-type vehicle now seem to be more into vehicles such as some Jeeps, which cost about the same but are more what the original RAV was with no or few mods required, at least around where I am. Here, the 4.4 hasn't produced the excitement and demand for toughening mods, and buyers seem to be mostly seniors and soccer mom types who want vehicles which are practical for them and their needs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4.4 RAV marks the completion of the generational transition of the RAV from actually being a RAV with the 4.1 to 4.4 soccer mom mobile and daily smooth paved road commuter "crossover." People who want an original RAV-type vehicle now seem to be more into vehicles such as some Jeeps, which cost about the same but are more what the original RAV was with no or few mods required, at least around where I am. Here, the 4.4 hasn't produced the excitement and demand for toughening mods, and buyers seem to be mostly seniors and soccer mom types who want vehicles which are practical for them and their needs.
I would probably agree with you Blogson, if i didn`t own 2001 RAV4 XLE back in the day, drove it for approx 4 years, switching to 2005 4Runner Sport in 2004. Personally i don`t see any transition towards soccer mom commuter :) I think it only got better in term of power, handling and "smarter" off the pavement. Maybe 4.1 was more of what it meant to be initially. But i definitely agree with you on lack of demand.. I guess i posted this out of frustration.. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Quickdtoo, I think i came across those. To be honest, I am Not a fan of spacer lifts, because they change front suspension geometry by making coilover longer, rather have lift based on longer coil or different spring loading. And better shocks. Stock ones are not holding it when vehicle is loaded. There are KBY shocks available for RAV4 but they are similar to oem. OME lift would be nice, but they ignored 4.4 and don't have any plans on designing them. As mentioned above - no demand.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I would probably agree with you Blogson, if i didn`t own 2001 RAV4 XLE back in the day, drove it for approx 4 years, switching to 2005 4Runner Sport in 2004. Personally i don`t see any transition towards soccer mom commuter :) I think it only got better in term of power, handling and "smarter" off the pavement. Maybe 4.1 was more of what it meant to be initially. But i definitely agree with you on lack of demand.. I guess i posted this out of frustration.. :)

I've driven the 4.1 (never owned one) and now my 4.3, and the difference at least for me was quite pronounced. But maybe that's just me! The 4.1 would go places where I wouldn't even try to take my 4.3. The 4.1 appeared to me to be more of a "fun" vehicle. I've also driven a 4.4 and again it's a different and even tamer vehicle than my 4.3, but them my RAV has the comparatively blistering 3.5l V6. With all of that one would think that if, for example, the off-roading community solidly believed that the 4.4 RAV could be a serious "fun" vehicle in the same manner as the 4.1 is or even more so the aftermarket would be flooded with mod parts, especially since the 4.4 has been offered since 2013. But hopefully you will be able to obtain what you are looking for. I would wonder whether, for example, they might be available from a country such as Australia . . .In any event, good luck! :smile

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear you man, you are right.. But still hoping that one day.. something exciting will appear for 4.4 :surprise

As far as hard core offroading.. i got that - image attached, but i would definitely use RAV4 for some lite recreational type of things, fire roads, dirt roads, etc, if i could :D . It`s more friendly to my kids sitting in the back :smile

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts